Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

For those who work full-time and train for IM: What else do you do on the weekend other than training? (need ideas for things to do with little impact on training)
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: For those who work full-time and train for IM: What else do you do on the weekend other than training? (need ideas for things to do with little impact on training) [YFLMITITW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nap and eat basically.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who work full-time and train for IM: What else do you do on the weekend other than training? (need ideas for things to do with little impact on training) [YFLMITITW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theres life outside of training for IM when you work fulltime?

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Play with my kids, take my wife to dinner, movies, bed...

But I only train 4 or 5 hours on the weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cant say I train for IMs but my weekends basically consist of training, eating, and watching TV while eating.

--------------------------

Team Timex 2014
@ajhodges
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train less on the weekends than during the week, b/c of kids and wife. They're all home, so I get to spend time with them. Of course, I don't get up at 4:30am on the weekends like I do during the week, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to get togethers with friends, have a couple beers, go to concerts, the usual stuff.

I don't stay out until 2am, but I try and carry on with life in general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
House work ;) I spend much of my other time catching up on the stuff I let slide during the week. My wife is super supportive. Right now I am training for AZ and since the weather is still not race weather here it allows me to tackle some jobs I will not want to be doing when the weather turns nice. I wish I could say I had time to do other stuff but it seriously is workouts and house work when the IM schedule is in full force.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saturday is usually my day off (from training) so I spend time with my family whatever his planned on that Saturday including house/garden chores.
On Sunday, I try to be done by as early as possible trying to be done by 1 PM (when I go for 6h/7h bike ride followed by 30/50 mins run).
Then afternoon is spent with my family..

Cheers,
Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First priority is spending time with my wife
next (if I'm teaching a course then) is to do any grading, online discussions, etc.
next is housework, paying bills, etc.
my wife loves yardwork so while I generally don't do that I may spend time with her while she does it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lead a normal life...go to my kids' sports events, play with the kids, go out with my wife, work around the house, grocery shop, do errands.

IM training doesn't need to consume your whole life - I've got to think that would have a negative impact on the really important things in life if it did.

I'm doing my 7th IM in April, so I've gotten used to an early morning training schedule. If you can handle a reduced sleep schedule, you'd be amazed at what training you can get done before 9 AM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took Sunday as a day off, so I could have a day of nothing, no work etc...I did my long runs on Wednesday (in the AM, then a trainer ride of 30-45 min (easy recovery) in the evening. Thursday was a short brick (longest at peak of training was 1 hr ride and 30 min run) which I used as further recovery. I did it easy, and one 5 min interval/pickup on the bike, then about 2 2 min pick ups on the run, the rest was super easy.

I'd have from Saturday about 2PM until Monday evening (when I did swim followed by a run) off from training. It made my life semi normal.

I'd go on easy hikes (mostly walking, but with nice scenery), see movies, go to the park with my dogs, wash/work on my car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you serious?

You have time to do something other then train on Saturday or Sunday? I'm impressed.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who work full-time and train for IM: What else do you do on the weekend other than training? (need ideas for things to do with little impact on training) [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah sometimes I go out to movies or on a date or something, maybe even a party or two - not sure where I get the energy from but here is what I currently seem to end up doing:

Friday - after a morning and evening training session anda full shift of work - hit somewhere social from 7-11 p.m.
Saturday - 6-12 - training - 3-4 nap 6-12 - somewhere social/ party/ date etc
Sunday - 7-10 - training - 2-3:30 nap - evening somewhere out if I have the energy!

Just interested to see how the rest of you structure your weekends to see if any interesting ideas...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long walk or hike with the family. Good early season cross training.

Nap, but not alone.

------------------------

Toronto Retailer and Fitter

hellovelo.ca
Quote Reply
Re: For those who work full-time and train for IM: What else do you do on the weekend other than training? (need ideas for things to do with little impact on training) [cdanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I don't stay out until 2am, but I try and carry on with life in general.[/reply]

Pussy.

:-)
Quote Reply
Re: For those who work full-time and train for IM: What else do you do on the weekend other than training? (need ideas for things to do with little impact on training) [Gator1736] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
//
In Reply To:
I don't stay out until 2am, but I try and carry on with life in general.

Pussy.

:-)

//

I mean...I stay out until 3 or 4 am, partying hard and drinking whiskey.
Last edited by: cdanrun: Mar 2, 07 13:05
Quote Reply
Re: For those who work full-time and train for IM: What else do you do on the weekend other than training? (need ideas for things to do with little impact on training) [cdanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did that once and raced a 1/2 amry later that morning, I think I was still drunk, Felt great the first 6 miles, the last 7 where a total puke fest. It was bad.

Mike

----------------------------------
Owner/General Manager North Central Cyclery, Dekalb IL
http://www.NorthCentralCyclery.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spend time with the wife and kids, I actually find it easier to get up earlier on the weekends, I do not have to be mentally with it on the weekends like i do during the week. I have gotten up at 2am to go out for long runs so I could get home in time to be ready and leave for kids sporting events early in the morning.

Mike

----------------------------------
Owner/General Manager North Central Cyclery, Dekalb IL
http://www.NorthCentralCyclery.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's better. You should also try putting on 20 pounds like I did this winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to the park with tri-buddies and swimmers and have a barbeque.

Then go swimming after 1 hour.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To respond seriuosly - I typically try to have my workouts wrapped up by 11:30 on Saturday, and 1 on Sunday - that gives the wife and I a large portion of the day to do family/house stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have about four times as much of a social life as me right now...

I train all day, nap the rest, and occasionally go the the climbing wall on Friday night and out to dinner afterward and occasionally play poker at Kieran's on Saturday night. If I'm too shelled to go anywhere I just read books and/or have a girl over to watch a movie.

Granted, I tend not to start training till 10AM or so on the weekends - so a 7 hour day takes me till 5PM.
Last edited by: Zinc: Mar 3, 07 5:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sleep, eat, check internet.

Clean, do laundry, go to grocery store, pay bills... that's about it. And I have to force myself to do those last 4.
Quote Reply