Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

For the nostalgic geezers - Racing in the same field as the Big 4
Quote | Reply
I pulled my Endurance Conspiracy Legend of the Big Four shirt out today as it getting's close to that Kona time of year and wondered whether I have been on a race course with each of them at some point?

I was sure about Molina (USTS Detroit '85), Scott (Wendy's tri in Columbus, OH in the 80s: the neon race shirt stated "I raced The Man"), Tinley (Ohio Irontour which became American Triple-T, Wildflower, Kona) but I had to do some research regarding Allen. It appears I missed that by a week in the summer of '87. I did Stroh's Chicago tri instead of Bud Light USTS Chicago which was held a week earlier. Allen won the USTS race. That was the first year that the locals who had organized the USTS race decided to put on their own tri in downtown Chicago.

I did discover in my research that I shared a very wet race course with a 16-year-old LA at the '88 Tri-Fed national championship in Wilkes-Barre, PA. He was third behind Mike Pigg and Ken Glah.

Who else out there other than Monty and Slowman, of course, has shared a race course with each of the Big Four?
Quote Reply
Re: For the nostalgic geezers - Racing in the same field as the Big 4 [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I was in the Coors Light Biathlon (SF) with Mark Allen since he flew by me on the bike.

I'm pretty sure Molina did some of the NorCal races back then.

Dave Scott? Not sure

Tinley? Bud Light San Jose or San Diego maybe

A great project would be to scan all the old results online.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: For the nostalgic geezers - Racing in the same field as the Big 4 [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon has moved on man. No one cares about the "Big 4".

Sorry, not sorry.

Oh, I did do an aquathlon once with Molina.
Quote Reply
Re: For the nostalgic geezers - Racing in the same field as the Big 4 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Sorry, not sorry.

Tough crowd.

Those guys were my heroes. The only times I was on the same course as Mark Allen were a couple of years in the Cherry Blossom 10-miler; I'm pretty sure he went sub 50 in '94, the year he took a break from tri to try and make the Oly Trials in the marathon. Molina for sure in Hilton Head '89, Dave Scott in Bud Light Atlanta in '88, and I'm not sure about Tinley (he didn't seem to race out east that much).

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: For the nostalgic geezers - Racing in the same field as the Big 4 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Sorry, not sorry.

Are you a nostalgic geezer? If not I warned you. Why'd you even open the thread? Hope you enjoyed the aquathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: For the nostalgic geezers - Racing in the same field as the Big 4 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
I

A great project would be to scan all the old results online.

Unfortunately, I threw almost all my old paper results away because I'm not that nostalgic.:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had dinner with LA at the pre-race feed at Vancouver in 1989. Standing room only around the Big4’s tables, three rows deep watching them have some pasta and answer questions. My buddy Brian and I were the only ones sitting with Lance, three 16 year olds....one different than the others.

I remember asking his plan for the race. His reply: “win”.

I had the race program signed by each on my wall for years, only to toss it in a moment of weakness when moving out of my parent’s house years later. WTF was I thinking?

Edit: I’m buying that shirt
Last edited by: GreatScott: Sep 28, 20 20:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a lot of the USTS series race plus races like Wilkes Barre,Sprint Nationals etc. in 80’s and 90’s raced on same course multiple times a year with the Big 4 , Pigg, Welch, Glah, LA. There were a lot more chances to race with the pros then there are today . It was great time to be in our sport!
Last edited by: Scot: Sep 25, 20 16:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona 1991 with Mark and ST. Kona 2001 with Dave, who dropped on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been drunk with a bunch of the Pro's from the '90s.....
That was back in the good old days when there were epic after-parties where the booze flowed free and triathletes were slutty.. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Sorry, not sorry.

Are you a nostalgic geezer? If not I warned you. Why'd you even open the thread? Hope you enjoyed the aquathlon.

why'd he open the thread? because he's working really hard to build up his brand here on ST.

his brand is "jerk."

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tinley was at the DCA tri at Stone Mountain GA in 94ish, along with Riccitello, Kearns, McMartin and a bunch of short course guys of that time. Smyers, and maybe Jones on the women’s. Met Pigg at Latta Park in Charlotte around same time. Super nice guy. Wendy Ingraham was there maybe the next year.

I’ve got that t-shirt. I think it’s my favorite right now.
Quote Reply
Re: For the nostalgic geezers - Racing in the same field as the Big 4 [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
That was back in the good old days when there were epic after-parties where the booze flowed free and triathletes were slutty.. :-)

Ha! Oh boy, all of those Alcatraz after parties in the 1990s. Rhodesy used to stay at my house for Alcatraz the after parties with him and Maaca were legendary.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: For the nostalgic geezers - Racing in the same field as the Big 4 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

Ha! Oh boy, all of those Alcatraz after parties in the 1990s. Rhodesy used to stay at my house for Alcatraz the after parties with him and Maaca were legendary.
Waaaaay too many stories from those days..Rhodesy wins hands down for his epic "hero to zero" after his Ironman Canada win but we should leave it at that.
Here is a photo I took of the lads at Rhodesys 40th B'day party/ Challenge Wanaka after party in 2013...... and shock,horror Bryan put up a bar tab for everyone!!

Quote Reply
Re: For the nostalgic geezers - Racing in the same field as the Big 4 [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Sorry, not sorry.

why'd he open the thread? because he's working really hard to build up his brand here on ST.

his brand is "jerk."

Molina thought I was cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Sorry, not sorry.

his brand is "jerk."

Molina thought I was cool.

Was.
Quote Reply
Re: For the nostalgic geezers - Racing in the same field as the Big 4 [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rhodesy gave the full rundown of that story on one of the old TRS-radio podcasts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
best I can do is 3 outta 4.

'86 Hilton Head. Mr. Allen not there. Molina took it.

I sucked more than I usually do. A guy from our clan from MN took the 20-24 AG. A super great athlete and nice guy, Montgomery Mouw.

99% sure I've never been at a race when Allen was there. Mr. Scott only this one. Molina and Tinley a few.

Still got the Hilton Head golf shirt - wear it once in a while. It's nice.

Stiff and sore more now then those days, but...

Still enjoying the journey. Racing? I forgot what that is! :-|

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw Tinley race and got his autograph when he raced at a tri in Portsmouth England of all places.

But to you actual question: no. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Pigg came to my wedding reception. Does that count for anything?
Quote Reply
Re: For the nostalgic geezers - Racing in the same field as the Big 4 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Mike Pigg came to my wedding reception. Does that count for anything?

How much cake did he eat?
Quote Reply