Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

For the aging 40+ athlete: tell me how to recover mobility/strength
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I finally entered the 40+ AG, and it's not that fun.Mostly because I think I am at the point where I can feel the accumulated damage from 15 years of marathon/triathlon. What I mostly noticed is this: loss of mobility/flexibility, and wake-up next day pains (and throughout the day frankly). And I am pretty sure these 2 problems feed each other.

It's not that bad, I can still do my 6-8 hours WO/week and ramp up when needed, but it's becoming more and more grueling. I think it is time for a change of strategy if I want to still race ironman later on. I need to find something that will improve my flexibility while building strength. Don't really want to take up yoga so what's left? Would P90X-type of things do the trick? What's your experience?
Quote Reply
Re: For the aging 40+ athlete: tell me how to recover mobility/strength [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've dedicated a large portion of my training this fall/winter to the Mobility issue as well. Why is it you don't want to take up yoga ?
Quote Reply
Re: For the aging 40+ athlete: tell me how to recover mobility/strength [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Switch from Ironman to Olympic distance. Add intensity to training and reduce volume, strength train. Mix it up with hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, mountain biking, cyclocross, trail running, do some yoga. Also, I just got a theragun and I have to say it’s amazing at getting the knots out. Read Joel friel book fast after 50 too.
Quote Reply
Re: For the aging 40+ athlete: tell me how to recover mobility/strength [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it could be good but it really bores me, feel the need to move more than that, get the heart rate up. Maybe not a good reason but I would love to have fun in the process!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm eyeing an inversion table. It can't be any more a waste of money than the several cycles of PT I've done that haven't resolved the issue.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: For the aging 40+ athlete: tell me how to recover mobility/strength [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will get the book!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I turned 40 with 12 IMs under my belt, as well as a number of shorter races, all of which left my body in a pretty bad state. I started regular massage, dry needling and PT the month of my 40th birthday and never stopped. I had been doing regular rolling and stretching throughout my 20s and 30s but that is no longer enough. I added in yoga at age 44 and wish I hadn't waited so long to do so. 5 IMs later and I feel better on my long rides and runs then I did in my 20s and 30s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Baboonator wrote:
Will get the book!

I will add another recommendation for "Fast After 50." It changed the way I train. (Among Friel's recommendations, I do high intensity days year-round now. It's not easy, but it seems to keep me in the hunt.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's worth figuring out WHY you have these aches/pains and limited mobility if possible.

Particular attention to be paid to developing arthritis in knees or other joints, as that will influence your expectations and training. (For example, if you have significantly advanced arthritis in your knees, you probably shouldn't plan on running your lifetime high mileage in training and expect to do well). Your doctor can help with this.

The wake up next-day pains persisting are suspicious for arthritis, especially if they are centered on your joints.

Strength training does help some, but there's no great cure other than managing your expectations reasonably if an arthritis related limiter pops up (really common at 40+, me included.)
Quote Reply
Re: For the aging 40+ athlete: tell me how to recover mobility/strength [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All very encouraging thanks! I always stretched after WO since my 20s, but like you not enough anymore. Book will be a good listen on trainer days!
Quote Reply
Re: For the aging 40+ athlete: tell me how to recover mobility/strength [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arthritis might be a factor for sure but it's mostly muscular and lower back/piriformis centered. Have still neck as well but I've had that as long as I remember, so it's not new either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really enjoying CrossFit, keeps things different and my PRs have improved on all my disciplines this year. Great strength and conditioning and mobility in the off season. Will have to ease up when I start Challenge Roth training but right now really enjoying the benefits and it is fun!
Last edited by: AC_triwarrior: Aug 27, 19 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: For the aging 40+ athlete: tell me how to recover mobility/strength [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious....what kind of yoga are you doing? I have Achilles issues and all around discomfort in both ankles and extremely tight calves. I've been unable to run with any great consistency for a few years now.
Quote Reply
Re: For the aging 40+ athlete: tell me how to recover mobility/strength [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueQuintana wrote:
Just curious....what kind of yoga are you doing? I have Achilles issues and all around discomfort in both ankles and extremely tight calves. I've been unable to run with any great consistency for a few years now.

I do mainly Yin and Gentle Flo. No power yoga for me. I get my strength and endurance work in elsewhere. There are a ton of free yoga classes available for streaming on YouTube so I use that to supplement the live classes at my local yoga studio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40!!??

Hate to tell you, it hasn't even started yet. Keep moving!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: For the aging 40+ athlete: tell me how to recover mobility/strength [AC_triwarrior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AC_triwarrior wrote:
I am really enjoying CrossFit

x2 on CrossFit. It's challenging, definitely works flexibility. And it is fun. I was highly skeptical going in, thinking it would all be self-absorbed bros and Ashley Horners. But my gym, at least, is almost all down-to-earth people.

I'm glad I did it. I think it really helps with overall health, e.g. bone density, flexibility, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out ELDOA. I used to have these aches pains, back problems, etc. Went to tons of PT (dry needling, exercises, etc) and nothing really worked like ELDOA stretches. Recommend finding someone certified in your area and having them walk you through the stretches. Look hokie but has worked for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoga. Functional work. The interesting thing here is the notion of: I hit 40 and all hurts. It may be the case but I think you would feel something at 39, 39.5, etc. It doesn’t just hit you at 40.

With the right approach not only in the training but in functional exercises and incorporating speed / threshold work while dialing down the hours a bit you can be very successful.

From my experience I hit the 40ag this year too and have never felt / being as fit as I am now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Baboonator wrote:
I finally entered the 40+ AG, and it's not that fun.Mostly because I think I am at the point where I can feel the accumulated damage from 15 years of marathon/triathlon. What I mostly noticed is this: loss of mobility/flexibility, and wake-up next day pains (and throughout the day frankly). And I am pretty sure these 2 problems feed each other.
Honestly I think you're putting this up to age when it's likely something else - some parts physical (injuries?) and possibly even some parts mental (fatigue?). The current world champion professional cyclist is 39. I'm 50 and haven't noticed much difference and definitely haven't slowed down any, and I don't wake up hurting. Over the years I've accumulated a set of stretches, each one added to address a specific issue, and as long as I do them with some regularity I always feel 100% great. Try to identify your specific problems and work on them - start some PT like stuff, stretching and maybe also strengthening, depending on your background. Sorry, but yoga is probably a good answer!
Quote Reply
Re: For the aging 40+ athlete: tell me how to recover mobility/strength [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That might be the case, but I didn't have these issues younger, so it is linked to age and effort repetition. I have pretty much be doing endurance sport since 10. I've noticed a drop since my 30's, but it was only in terms of recovery. It's not much in the beginning, but when you're pretty tuned you notice. The likely issue is the accumulated damage from running, and a sitting job. I know what you mean about biking, after all I climbed Izoard on one speed (think I posted a race report) last year, training is fun and I was in great shape. Depends where you start from I guess.
But along the way I've also had years where I averaged 60+miles (longest was 112 miles....) weeks of running, and objectively I can't say that was a good long-term plan, for anyone. Now I have to change strategies, and I got some good ideas here! Thanks to all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For flexibility/mobility yoga really is where it is at. I wouldn't write it off so quickly because you think it's boring. Even 15-20 mins a couple of times a week could be really beneficial. You don't have to do long sessions or go to classes (although that's helpful in the beginning for form, etc.). I do 30 min videos around three times a week (I use the Gaia streaming app but Amazon has some good ones too), nothing hard or fancy, but it has done wonders for fixing the imbalances from years of running high mileage. I just wish I had got into this habit sooner. I've never felt better and the improved hip mobility is really helping running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got similar problems also and just about the same age ..

My solution (and I know everyone’s solution will not be the same ..) has been regular yoga and decreasing my stress level (my back tenses up then everything else follows ..)

I know you’ve mentioned that you’re not interested in yoga .. I had felt the same way. Thought it was all airy fairy stuff and only women in fancy tights did it but this isn’t the case at all. A good quarter to third of the yoga classes I’m in are full of athletic men .. trying to improve their strength and flexibility. Some types of yoga can be incredibly challenging .. balancing on one leg or your hands, planking, core work .. all of which gets my heart rate up. Have a look into flow / vinyasa or hot yoga classes which have been the magic pill for me. I don’t have the discipline to DIY yoga and stretching so I go to the classes.

My piriformus also likes to whinge a lot so I roll them every night. That and my glutes getting knotted up have caused very awful back pain. My routine now is while I watch tv, I sit on my roller and off I go ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking at a 60+ athlete with lots of racing behind me the years between 40 - 50 were easy. I think that as we age that a good all season strength and flexibility program is required. I regularly see my chiropractor and massage therapist, typically every 3 - 4 weeks year round with visits every two weeks in peak season. I need to manage my sleep (target average 8 hours minimum each night). Nutrition and hydration become more important as well. I try to train pretty consistently all year round with only a few peak periods for IM builds. I find that if I can keep in good shape most of the time peaking for big events is possible/easier. As pervious posters have suggested if you have lots of residual pain from workouts in joints you should consult your medical professional.
Quote Reply