Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset
Quote | Reply
Anybody have any good wheel suggestions if I am looking for an aluminum or carbon rim semi-aero profile 650B (27.5) disc-brake wheelset ?

Via a very brief look on the interwebs, I have of course looked at hed, zipp, and also Boyd. Any other good brands/models that I should check out?

thanks !

Advanced TopTube Bento Speedpacks for Road, Gravel, & Triathlon.. .Direct-mount & ZeroSlip-mount, made in the USA.. .DarkSpeedWorks.com. .Reviews. .Instagram. .Facebook
"Why would you want to be the last man alive on a sinking ship?" -- on why Tesla shares its patents.
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nextie does a nice 45mm deep 650b rim. I have 6 nextie wheelsets currently and zero complaints, the set-up tubeless nicely and have a great beadlock.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you going to run wide tires because any aeroness will be cancelled and then some by wide rubber..
I'd be more concerned with Crr if surface is mixed.

maybe reynolds ATR650 (carbon though)
Last edited by: spntrxi: Feb 11, 19 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will usually try to run tires aero matched to the rims, but then want to have the option to go super wide when needed by terrain ...

Advanced TopTube Bento Speedpacks for Road, Gravel, & Triathlon.. .Direct-mount & ZeroSlip-mount, made in the USA.. .DarkSpeedWorks.com. .Reviews. .Instagram. .Facebook
"Why would you want to be the last man alive on a sinking ship?" -- on why Tesla shares its patents.
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
Nextie does a nice 45mm deep 650b rim. I have 6 nextie wheelsets currently and zero complaints, the set-up tubeless nicely and have a great beadlock.

I looked at their rims, I can find a 45mm deep 700C rim, but no 650B in that profile.

Got a link to the 650B model?

Advanced TopTube Bento Speedpacks for Road, Gravel, & Triathlon.. .Direct-mount & ZeroSlip-mount, made in the USA.. .DarkSpeedWorks.com. .Reviews. .Instagram. .Facebook
"Why would you want to be the last man alive on a sinking ship?" -- on why Tesla shares its patents.
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.nextie.net/new-gravel-clincher-NXT27GR45
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.nextie.net/...l-clincher-NXT27GR45

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Will usually try to run tires aero matched to the rims, but then want to have the option to go super wide when needed by terrain ...

IMHO, you'll do more to enhance the aerodynamics of a wheel intended for mixed-surface use by specifying bladed spokes in the build, rather than anything else :-)

A deep rim profile will help with narrow tires, and not so much with wider rubber...but, the benefits of the bladed spokes for both translational AND rotational drag reduction will always be there...



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Anybody have any good wheel suggestions if I am looking for an aluminum or carbon rim semi-aero profile 650B (27.5) disc-brake wheelset ?

Via a very brief look on the interwebs, I have of course looked at hed, zipp, and also Boyd. Any other good brands/models that I should check out?

thanks !

I personally wouldn’t run a tire less than 42mm for gravel going 650b, so I doubt you’re going to see any aero benefit from rim depth.

_______________________________________________
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Anybody have any good wheel suggestions if I am looking for an aluminum or carbon rim semi-aero profile 650B (27.5) disc-brake wheelset ?

Via a very brief look on the interwebs, I have of course looked at hed, zipp, and also Boyd. Any other good brands/models that I should check out?

thanks !
I personally wouldn’t run a tire less than 42mm for gravel going 650b, so I doubt you’re going to see any aero benefit from rim depth.

All good info, but I will typically be running tires less than 40mm wide more for road use, and that's where I was hoping to get some benefit from slightly deeper wheels. Because, I agree, not really expecting that I would get much aero benefit with fatter tires ...

Advanced TopTube Bento Speedpacks for Road, Gravel, & Triathlon.. .Direct-mount & ZeroSlip-mount, made in the USA.. .DarkSpeedWorks.com. .Reviews. .Instagram. .Facebook
"Why would you want to be the last man alive on a sinking ship?" -- on why Tesla shares its patents.
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Anybody have any good wheel suggestions if I am looking for an aluminum or carbon rim semi-aero profile 650B (27.5) disc-brake wheelset ?

Via a very brief look on the interwebs, I have of course looked at hed, zipp, and also Boyd. Any other good brands/models that I should check out?

thanks !

The Roval CLX32 is offered in 650B. Its the same rim profile as the 700...Of course the aerodynamics will largely be driven by the tire as mentioned

https://rovalcomponents.com/...2-disc-650b-wheelset


Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Anybody have any good wheel suggestions if I am looking for an aluminum or carbon rim semi-aero profile 650B (27.5) disc-brake wheelset ?

Via a very brief look on the interwebs, I have of course looked at hed, zipp, and also Boyd. Any other good brands/models that I should check out?

thanks !
I personally wouldn’t run a tire less than 42mm for gravel going 650b, so I doubt you’re going to see any aero benefit from rim depth.


All good info, but I will typically be running tires less than 40mm wide more for road use, and that's where I was hoping to get some benefit from slightly deeper wheels. Because, I agree, not really expecting that I would get much aero benefit with fatter tires ...

If you can swing it, I'd use a 700C wheelset for that purpose...nothing wrong with 2 wheelsets set up with the appropriate tires ;-)



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
If you can swing it, I'd use a 700C wheelset for that purpose...nothing wrong with 2 wheelsets set up with the appropriate tires ;-)

Yes, of course that is an option. And probably the best way to go if multiple wheelsets are an option.

But I was just wondering, should I just get just 1 wheelset for now, what might be available if I try to get away with just a 650B set ... for both road and for gravel.

Advanced TopTube Bento Speedpacks for Road, Gravel, & Triathlon.. .Direct-mount & ZeroSlip-mount, made in the USA.. .DarkSpeedWorks.com. .Reviews. .Instagram. .Facebook
"Why would you want to be the last man alive on a sinking ship?" -- on why Tesla shares its patents.
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
If you can swing it, I'd use a 700C wheelset for that purpose...nothing wrong with 2 wheelsets set up with the appropriate tires ;-)


Yes, of course that is an option. And probably the best way to go if multiple wheelsets are an option.

But I was just wondering, should I just get just 1 wheelset for now, what might be available if I try to get away with just a 650B set ... for both road and for gravel.

My only concern with running a 650B wheelset with "smaller" tires (i.e. something in the 28-30mm range, measured) is the possible effects it could have on steering geometry. If the bike geometry is designed around 700C wheels with tires that size, then with 650B, it's going to have drastically reduced trail and might be a bit "skittish" on the road.

After all, the diameter of a 650B rim is actually closer to a 26" MTB rim than it is to a 700C rim (despite the "27.5" common nomenclature for that size wheel) ;-)



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
If you can swing it, I'd use a 700C wheelset for that purpose...nothing wrong with 2 wheelsets set up with the appropriate tires ;-)


Yes, of course that is an option. And probably the best way to go if multiple wheelsets are an option.

But I was just wondering, should I just get just 1 wheelset for now, what might be available if I try to get away with just a 650B set ... for both road and for gravel.


...Also, to answer your OP question in the realm of aluminum rims...I considered building a 650B wheelset out of some Velocity Aileron rims, prior to finding an FSA 650B wheelset of similar depth on sale before Christmas. Here's a review of the Ailerons:

http://ridinggravel.com/...locity-aileron-rims/



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, those look pretty good. I don't need carbon, AL will do fine too.

So on a new, but kind of related, topic, are there any rims of any kind of any width and/or shape where one can mount a 40-45mm wide tire and get even some aero benefit?

Advanced TopTube Bento Speedpacks for Road, Gravel, & Triathlon.. .Direct-mount & ZeroSlip-mount, made in the USA.. .DarkSpeedWorks.com. .Reviews. .Instagram. .Facebook
"Why would you want to be the last man alive on a sinking ship?" -- on why Tesla shares its patents.
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Actually, those look pretty good. I don't need carbon, AL will do fine too.

So on a new, but kind of related, topic, are there any rims of any kind of any width and/or shape where one can mount a 40-45mm wide tire and get even some aero benefit?

That would have to be a pretty wide rim...

I'm thinking that the majority of any "aero gains" from going deeper would be in reducing the length of exposed spokes...which again gets back to my comment above about bladed vs. round spokes...and reductions in both translation and rotational drag components.

Anyway, all of the above is pure speculation on my part :-)



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I understand the logic with the spokes. Shorter and bladed is usually better.

But your answers got my curiosity going.

As far as you know, for either 700C or 650B, for road (not gravel), what is the widest confirmed tire plus rim set-up/combination that either has been shown to be, or designed to be, or postulated to be decently aero? When I say 'aero', I mean compared to a similar width non-aero wheel.

If you know, what tire? What width? And mounted on what exact rim? Thanks.

Advanced TopTube Bento Speedpacks for Road, Gravel, & Triathlon.. .Direct-mount & ZeroSlip-mount, made in the USA.. .DarkSpeedWorks.com. .Reviews. .Instagram. .Facebook
"Why would you want to be the last man alive on a sinking ship?" -- on why Tesla shares its patents.
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeah, I understand the logic with the spokes. Shorter and bladed is usually better.

But your answers got my curiosity going.

As far as you know, for either 700C or 650B, for road (not gravel), what is the widest confirmed tire plus rim set-up/combination that either has been shown to be, or designed to be, or postulated to be decently aero? When I say 'aero', I mean compared to a similar width non-aero wheel.

If you know, what tire? What width? And mounted on what exact rim? Thanks.

700Cx25 on an Enve?

Yeah...I don't know...it all depends on how you define "decently aero", at what is enough of a difference to be considered "significant".

I have a feeling that the Flo guys might have some insight into this based on their stated development interests...



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Aero" 650B gravel wheelsets aren't for aerodynamic benefits (unless the manufacturer is trying to pull the wool over your eyes). "Aero" 650B gravel wheelsets are for reducing the tendency of deep sticky mud to cling and build up on the wheels. Same as for cyclocross.

But maybe "mud-shedding" wheels aren't sufficiently marketable. Hence, "aero."
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Feb 12, 19 9:54
Quote Reply
Re: For gravel: semi-aero 650B disc wheelset [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Actually, those look pretty good. I don't need carbon, AL will do fine too.

So on a new, but kind of related, topic, are there any rims of any kind of any width and/or shape where one can mount a 40-45mm wide tire and get even some aero benefit?

Not going to be the aero rims you are looking for, but wide at 30mm and maybe worth a look. I know Hunt Wheels get fantastic reviews.
https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/...adventurecarbon-disc
Quote Reply