Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose the way to know is to step on the scale every day. Gone up, ate too much...gone down, ate just right.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I suppose the way to know is to step on the scale every day. Gone up, ate too much...gone down, ate just right.

The scales or a pretty poor measure. Drink a litre of water and you have put on 1kg...oh no what have I done, go to the toilet loose 1kg yippee diet is working.

But over time yes it will show a correlation
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Over a long enough time period.

The problem with counting calories is that although you might be able to estimate intake fairly accurately, independently estimating your daily burn isn’t very precise. But, if your weight is remaining steady, then you know that calories in must = calories out. If it wasn’t then your weight would change.

The way you do it without actually counting total calories is to look at your eating habits and substitute one of your daily high calorie foods for a lower calorie equivalent. Eg replace that bag of chips with an apple. You’re working off changes, not absolutes.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 2, 19 16:57
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really. Weigh yourself consistently, everyday, on wake up. Usually after the bathroom trip. As long as you control a few simple variables you'll get an idea.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Not really. Weigh yourself consistently, everyday, on wake up. Usually after the bathroom trip. As long as you control a few simple variables you'll get an idea.

Two many variables-have two glasses of water instead of one there's 250gms, have a hot night and sweat there's another 250gms. Have a meal that is slow digesting-there is another 500gms.

What I'm getting at is weight can fluctuate so much due to a whole myriad of factors that have absolutely zero to do with fat loss.

So weight yourself sure, but do it every week or two. By doing it everyday I've seen people get distraught and give up unnecessarily when their 'weight gain or loss' was nothing more than water or stuff in the bowels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but once a week and you get a bad picture. Weigh yourself everyday and take the average.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
People don't like counting calories because they dontike being slapped in the face with reality.

I don't like it because it's tedious, annoying, and imprecise to me. And I have single digit bodyfat %, so I have no problem with "reality." The metrics I track are weight and body fat%. Screw calories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Yeah, but once a week and you get a bad picture. Weigh yourself everyday and take the average.

Ditto. This is what I have done for years tracking the weekly average.
Quote Reply

Prev Next