Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths
Quote | Reply
My wife directed me to this book by a legitimate well recognized nephrologist from Canada - I'll bet quite a few of you have read it:

THE OBESITY CODE
By Dr. Jason Fung

Before you all go bashing it as being 'yet another fad diet book' - I can assure you it is NOT. I work in science/healthcare, and I thus absolutely despise all prior diet books, even ones by MDs like the Zone diet, etc. as they are invariably based NOT on peer-reviewed high quality science, but only use science as a thin veneer to give false legitimacy to their unsupported underlying claims.

This one is the first one I've read ever thus far that looks hard and honestly at the obesity epidemic in the world since the 1970s, and how and why pretty much all diets have completely failed to date.

Some of the key concepts that I'm sure most of you die-hard triathlete/dieters will find shocking - some direct quotes:

"Let me state it as plainly as I can: "Eat Less" does NOT work. That's a fact. ACCEPT IT."

"Many people tell me, "I don't understand, I eat less. Iexercise more. But I can't seem to lose any weight." I understand perfectly - because this advice has been PROVEN TO FAIL." Caloric reduction doesn't cause lasting weight loss. Anybody who has ever tried it can tell you."

"Eating is not under our conscious control."

And his 5 erroneous assumptions, listed one by one in chapter 3:
" 1: Calories in and calories out are independent of each other."
"2: Basal metabolic rate is stable"
"3: We exert conscious control over Calories In"
"4: Fat stores are essentially unregulated"
"5: A calorie is a calorie"

I'm not saying it's the be all end all of obesity science, and for sure as science advances there will be refinements and even outright rebuttals to some of his points, but as far as I'm seeing thus far, his explanations and use of science far exceed anything out there. And it's shockingly completely contrary to what you would expect based upon current practices as endorced by the US gov't, and other medical associations.

At the least, it has been the most science-backed explanation of the horrendous obesity epidemic that has ravaged the world since 1977, and he has some very compelling and convincing arguments and explanations for the underpinnings of this. I'll bet if you read this book, you'll take a long, hard look at your current dietary practices.
Last edited by: lightheir: Feb 27, 19 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I'll bet if you read this book, you'll take a long, hard look at your current dietary practices.

You lose that bet. It's just the same old keto-quackery you've read a thousand times before.

And by the way, he does admit it's all about calories in - calories out. From his book "excess calories may certainly be the proximate cause of weight gain, but not the ultimate cause". By which he means that it comes down to calories but keto automatically makes you eat fewer calories.

He also promotes this ridiculous theory that the US low-fat low-sugar dietary guidelines caused the obesity epidemic by promoting low fat even though fat consumption in the US has increased since then and the US has one of the highest fat consumption in the world. But hey, conspiracy theories sell.

He is a legit MD. He's also a zealot just trying to sell books.
Last edited by: HardlyTrying: Feb 27, 19 14:52
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
At the least, it has been the most science-backed explanation of the horrendous obesity epidemic that has ravaged the world since 1977,

You don't really need science to explain this, though. Just sociological observations. Increases in processed, high calorie foods combined with a reduction in physical activity results in more fat people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched a portion of one of his videos. Just another schill selling "magic"...telling people what they WANT TO HEAR.

Eat more...lose weight!

Its not your fault!
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, you guys sound EXACTLY like I did before I read his book.

I strongly suspect you are all only getting tiny snippets of what his whole thought process is of obesity, and judging it incorrectly from that myopic view.

Contrary to the posts above -

1. He is a practicing nephrologist for 20+ years. Very respected, NOT a 'quack' physician which many (?most) of prior diet MDs have been. He regularly and currently treats patients from all walks including ICU patients, using his very same theories - he practices what he preaches, to his patients, and it works. He has successfully weaned possibly thousands of Type 2 diabetics off their medications with his practices.

2. His 'calories in / calories out' agreement is a gross mischaracterization of his concepts. If if were as simple and easy as calories in/calories out, our current dietary recommendations would have completely solved diabetes. In his book, he presents a smorgasboard of studies, many of which are high-profile large-scale studies that show that this simplistic view of calories in/out, while it might work in the short-run, UTTERLY fails for long-term weight maintenance. (He goes into detail of the saga of Dr. atkins and the research done around it including NEJM articles, and how it all crashed down once people tried to hang on to their weight loss for more than a year or two.) Fung's approach is for LONG term weight loss, based upon hormonal control of fat and weight - an utterly different approach to calories in/out, even if the net result is less calories in and more calories out.
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
And by the way, he does admit it's all about calories in - calories out.

The calorie in / calorie out mantra is belaboring the obvious. Duh. It's thermodynamics. But it's not very useful information if what you want to do is lose weight. I've found that focusing on food composition, quality, and timing is far more useful, and that seems to be where the science of weight loss is headed.
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [Khilgendorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khilgendorf wrote:
lightheir wrote:
At the least, it has been the most science-backed explanation of the horrendous obesity epidemic that has ravaged the world since 1977,

You don't really need science to explain this, though. Just sociological observations. Increases in processed, high calorie foods combined with a reduction in physical activity results in more fat people.

This is EXACTLY the incorrect mindset he is setting out to correct!

1. It is true that processed, high calorie foods have made things worse. But that is far from the only problem, and neglects the best way to manage the hormonal control of diet, which is through WHEN you eat to avoid insulin resistance. (Read the book for more details).

He points out very clearly that every single large-scale study to date that has even controlled WHAT people ate, dramatically underperformed for weight loss. And none of them result in long-term weight loss. In contrast, his patients who he has turned around have often (usually) maintained long-term weight loss, often to the point they no longer need their diabetes medications.

2. Increasing physical activity as a means of burning more calories only works for short term weight loss and again fails long-term - he provides a few very convincing studies to illustrate this point, including wide-scale measurements of activity that confirm this. Sure, we triathletes are a special cohort that burn so much that we often lose weight when we train, but I'll suspect that the (large) majority of folks here are like me - exercise helps me lose a LITTLE bit of weight, but I get so hungry that the moment I stop exercising, I gain all the weight back and then more weight within several weeks. (He explains the mechanism behind this as well!)

You really have to read the book for the explanations - the underling theory though is based on insulin and eating/fasting in such a way to control it as the main regulator of your hunger and weight. And before you go saying he's the next quack theorist - he is not - he is an expert nephrologist, whose entire career is based upon hormonal management including insulin, and if he gets it wrong, people get sick and definitely do die.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's called Thermodynamics.

You want portion control? Start eating broccoli, lots of it. You'll drop weight fast cleaning up a diet.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
2. His 'calories in / calories out' agreement is a gross mischaracterization of his concepts. If if were as simple and easy as calories in/calories out, our current dietary recommendations would have completely solved diabetes. In his book, he presents a smorgasboard of studies, many of which are high-profile large-scale studies that show that this simplistic view of calories in/out, while it might work in the short-run, UTTERLY fails for long-term weight maintenance. (He goes into detail of the saga of Dr. atkins and the research done around it including NEJM articles, and how it all crashed down once people tried to hang on to their weight loss for more than a year or two.) Fung's approach is for LONG term weight loss, based upon hormonal control of fat and weight - an utterly different approach to calories in/out, even if the net result is less calories in and more calories out.

It is as simple as calories in and calories out.. In the same way that debt is as simple as money in and money out. The reason we have weight problems and money problems is that, as humans, we are flawed.
People let habit, emotions, poor information get in the way of eating healthily. In the same way someone can sit down and work out a budget with their bank manager then get bored and buy new trainers/wheels/whatever in full knowledge they can't really afford it. You don't need to reinvent economics to explain debt. Diets fail when people don't follow them or revert to old habits.
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

You want portion control? Start eating broccoli, lots of it.

I'm going on the StroBro diet. I'm going to use portion control on pizza and beer.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 27, 19 15:27
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
It's called Thermodynamics.

You want portion control? Start eating broccoli, lots of it. You'll drop weight fast cleaning up a diet.

Again, sounding like a broken record here, but it's NOT just calories in/out for LONG term weight control.

We all can tough it out for 3 months and cut some weight. Good for us - we're discipline and motivated.

But the moment you have weakness - it's over. And Fung shows how not only do you gain it back, you gain it back and MORE due to the hormonal rebounds.

His basic point - we've all been simplemindedly distracted by the superficial solutions and focusing on the most proximate cause and ignoring the root cause.

He has a good analogy - we need to treat the setpoint of our metabolic thermostat. If it's set too high, we can do tons of heroics to bring it down, but over the long term, it will win. If your thermostat is set a 90F, you can bring fans, AC, ice cubes, etc., and even get that temp down to 65F for a short term, but it takes crazy heroics the lower you go and more and more of your mental and physical effort until it's literally impossible.

Plus, you're missing the boat - if you could somehow adjust the metabolic thermostat to begin with, you will not need fans, ac, ice cubes, etc. that means much less struggling with calories in/out, fad diets, etc.

Fung's book and methods are primarily aimed at targeting that metabolic thermostat, not the proximal causes that we are all distracted by.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Khilgendorf wrote:
lightheir wrote:

2. Increasing physical activity as a means of burning more calories only works for short term weight loss and again fails long-term - he provides a few very convincing studies to illustrate this point, including wide-scale measurements of activity that confirm this. Sure, we triathletes are a special cohort that burn so much that we often lose weight when we train, but I'll suspect that the (large) majority of folks here are like me - exercise helps me lose a LITTLE bit of weight, but I get so hungry that the moment I stop exercising, I gain all the weight back and then more weight within several weeks. (He explains the mechanism behind this as well!)

My comment wasn't addressed at the specifics from an individual level, moreso the societal changes we have undergone in the past 40 years that have resulted in this obesity epidemic. Basically, we're just sedentary, and we have easier access to bad food.
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

You want portion control? Start eating broccoli, lots of it.

I'm going on the StroBro diet. I'm going to use portion control on pizza and beer.

Believe it or not, you likely would gain a bunch of weight in the short-term and then it would STOP.

Fung presents a few studies illustrating this - one involved prisoners who were made to eat 4000+ calories a day and were carefully tracked to see that they were in fact eating them (they were).

They all gained weight in the short term, but it got so hard to keep up that many quit. And they didn't gain as much as predicted, as the body ramps up all sorts of mechanisms to counteract the weight gain (homeostasis). And most importantly, the moment they let the prisoners go back to their normal routines, they lost ALL the weight they gained very quickly, and IT STAYED OFF.

His point is that it's actually very hard to gain weight over your metabolic set point, as your body will fight you to pull your weight back down. It works in both directions - losing weight downwards, AS WELL as gaining weight upwards.

So contrary to what people think, it's literally impossible for them to eat themselves to 400 lbs unless they have a genetic disorder that allows them to do so (you'd probably know you had it if you were one of these folks.)
Last edited by: lightheir: Feb 27, 19 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [Khilgendorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khilgendorf wrote:
lightheir wrote:
Khilgendorf wrote:
lightheir wrote:

My comment wasn't addressed at the specifics from an individual level, moreso the societal changes we have undergone in the past 40 years that have resulted in this obesity epidemic. Basically, we're just sedentary, and we have easier access to bad food.

Annnnnnnnd Jason Fung totally slams down your misconception in bold above in the very first few chapters of his book as well.

He proves pretty convincingly that we weren't thinner back then because we were so much more active - in fact, people are amazingly good at regulating activity levels. Heck, even take us STers - if you go do a hard 2 hr bike ride, are you up and about doing all sorts of active stuff the rest of the day? He provides quite a few examples, including large-scale activity studies that show very convincingly that 'exercise more = lose weight' has been completely, utterly false when you consider weight loss outside a short-term period (think year+).

The bad food situation is true, but it's also more complex than that.

Seriously guys you all sound exactly like I did when my wife showed me the book. Felt like I knew all the answers - I literally had all your thoughts before reading it, but I'm def convinced I was wrong after reading it. You seriously should check it out. And I work in science - I NEVER follow stuff that isn't scientifically based (you might already know me as the guy that constantly slams on motion control vs neutral vs etc shoe designs and the utter lack of peer reviewed research proving their merits.)
Last edited by: lightheir: Feb 27, 19 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At one point in my life I was 269 lbs. I was eating like shit, I was doing nothing. At another point in my life I became a slob again, got up to 240 and wasn't doing much. Both times I dropped weight by cleaning up the diet and increasing activity. At 5-9.

I would even state I have a relatively slow metabolism, I'm an easy gainer. Wouldn't really say I was blessed with good genes...but....at the end of the day a diet based on whole foods with better than moderate exercise will see people lose weight. Every damned time.

If you want to learn how to gain weight I know how to do that too.

Oh, you're talking about being mentally weak when it comes to sticking to weight loss...I think we have a thread about crying like a bitch or something.

Losing weight, especially going from Obese to Healthy requires mental strength and discipline. Life style changes...oh mom and dad are going out for burgers? Well, I'm whipping up Chicken and...you got it, Broccoli.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Feb 27, 19 15:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Believe it or not, you likely would gain a bunch of weight in the short-term and then it would STOP.

I don't believe it. Because I have n=1 personal experience. I call it "the 90's."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
At one point in my life I was 269 lbs. I was eating like shit, I was doing nothing. At another point in my life I became a slob again, got up to 240 and wasn't doing much. Both times I dropped weight by cleaning up the diet and increasing activity. At 5-9.

I would even state I have a relatively slow metabolism, I'm an easy gainer. Wouldn't really say I was blessed with good genes...but....at the end of the day a diet based on whole foods with better than moderate exercise will see people lose weight. Every damned time.

You're hovering around your setpoint. That's expected.

Wanna try gaining weight to 400? Bet it sounds impossible now.

I know sounds nuts, but that's the type of situation Dr. Fung encounters with his patients with hormonal tumors and other big metabolic derangements. That's the type of knowledge he's working with, and working back to our smaller-scale stuff.

You don't need science to move the needle 5, even 10 pounds over a 4 month period. Eat less, lose some weight, sure.

Now you want to lose weight under that? Under your setpoint? Or stave off that age-related weight creep that gets you over a 20 year period? All of a sudden your easy in-out doesn't work so well does it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

You're hovering around your setpoint. That's expected.

Wanna try gaining weight to 400? Bet it sounds impossible now.

I know sounds nuts, but that's the type of situation Dr. Fung encounters with his patients with hormonal tumors and other big metabolic derangements. That's the type of knowledge he's working with, and working back to our smaller-scale stuff.

You don't need science to move the needle 5, even 10 pounds over a 4 month period. Eat less, lose some weight, sure.

Now you want to lose weight under that? Under your setpoint? Or stave off that age-related weight creep that gets you over a 20 year period? All of a sudden your easy in-out doesn't work so well does it.

It's called discipline. It's called Mental strength.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

It's called discipline. It's called Mental strength.

No, it's not.

He gives ample examples, including wide-scale studies showing how mental strength has almost no correlation with weight setpoint and effectiveness of the diet outside of very short-term (weeks, MAYBE months) diets.

I'm not going to cite the really good medical studies he shows, but a great example - I'm sure you all know doctors who are obese. These are folks who are amongst the most disciplined, hardest working, most motivated people to accomplish goals they set out to achieve. Yet even they can't do it! Even when they try super hard! (He points out this example in his book.)

It's because the hormones are so powerful. He gives great examples of how he can take low-BMI, highly fit young male athletes, and just by administering IV insulin over a period of time, instantly convert them to obese folks with poor metabolic profiles. It has little to do with motivation and everything to do with the hormones.

Doctors, celebrities, and others have unfortunately made a living by blaming the victims for being weak minded, and then turning around and selling them products to 'fix it.' And we all know how well that's worked out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

No, it's not.

He gives ample examples, including wide-scale studies showing how mental strength has almost no correlation with weight setpoint and effectiveness of the diet outside of very short-term (weeks, MAYBE months) diets.

I'm not going to cite the really good medical studies he shows, but a great example - I'm sure you all know doctors who are obese. These are folks who are amongst the most disciplined, hardest working, most motivated people to accomplish goals they set out to achieve. Yet even they can't do it! Even when they try super hard! (He points out this example in his book.)

It's because the hormones are so powerful. He gives great examples of how he can take low-BMI, highly fit young male athletes, and just by administering IV insulin over a period of time, instantly convert them to obese folks with poor metabolic profiles. It has little to do with motivation and everything to do with the hormones.

Doctors, celebrities, and others have unfortunately made a living by blaming the victims for being weak minded, and then turning around and selling them products to 'fix it.' And we all know how well that's worked out.

Yeah, and you just showed me that they're not disciplined holistically. Being an obese slob doctor that drinks himself away every night or rolls into Circle K to fill up his ultra gulp is not being disciplined. Were they once? Certainly. But they're definitely mentally weak and they made poor choices.

Give me 6 months, for you specifically. Eat 600g of Broccoli per day. Then fill out the rest of your diet. You'll be loaded with micro-nutrients and you'll feel good.

Calories in, Calories out. Now, what's negotiable is the rate at which you burn calories because every body is different because we have a different code. So you could talk about genetics, I just told you I had a slow metabolism and that I was obese. When I was 269lbs, I was 15, the difference between me then and me now is the fact that I workout like crazy and eat pretty good 75% of the time.

Those doctors you mention don't eat a balanced diet and don't exercise.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Is he being investigated? Because this and the prisoners experiment sound a bit like they've not been through an ethics review to me.
Quote Reply
Re: For all those trying to lose weight, you really have to read this book by a legit MD going after ALL the diet myths [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Is he being investigated? Because this and the prisoners experiment sound a bit like they've not been through an ethics review to me.

I think it was an older study, as I recall, probably before the era of ethics committees for stuff like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
lightheir wrote:

No, it's not.

Yeah, and you just showed me that they're not disciplined holistically. Being an obese slob doctor that drinks himself away every night or rolls into Circle K to fill up his ultra gulp is not being disciplined. Were they once? Certainly. But they're definitely mentally weak and they made poor choices.

Give me 6 months, for you specifically. Eat 600g of Broccoli per day. Then fill out the rest of your diet. You'll be loaded with micro-nutrients and you'll feel good.

Calories in, Calories out. Now, what's negotiable is the rate at which you burn calories because every body is different because we have a different code. So you could talk about genetics, I just told you I had a slow metabolism and that I was obese. When I was 269lbs, I was 15, the difference between me then and me now is the fact that I workout like crazy and eat pretty good 75% of the time.

Those doctors you mention don't eat a balanced diet and don't exercise.

I disagree with you.

These MDs aren't mentally weak - it's the reality of trying to break out of weight homeostasis when you're stressed, which makes it impossible for even highly motivated MDs to do it.

I already likely eat better than you recommend - 600g of broccoli is less vegetable and diversity I get with my mostly vegan diet, where I eat quite a lot of vegetables and fruits as the bulk of each meal. If I'm not careful though, and eat on top of that, I'll easily put on 10 lbs.

You seriously have to read his book even though I know you won't. He's shown how backwards these simpleminded concepts of calories/calories out, exercise more to burn more calories, and then most importantly, BLAME THE victim when it's not even their fault, has failed for an entire generation around the world since we're more obese than ever.

Even I believed this - sounds obvious, must be right! But you can't argue with the overall scale of obesity, and when you see the data and studies he has to back up his claims, it's shocking how wrong this mindset of blame the victim, or even 'exercise more' is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
At the least, it has been the most science-backed explanation of the horrendous obesity epidemic that has ravaged the world since 1977, and he has some very compelling and convincing arguments and explanations for the underpinnings of this. I'll bet if you read this book, you'll take a long, hard look at your current dietary practices.

As an engineer, I'm always excited to learn about new findings from well-researched scientific endeavors.

Given that this is such a great "science-backed explanation", I would assume that the Dr's research - that is, the hypothesis, the research studies, and the findings/conclusions - have been fully vetted and published in a well-regarded, peer-reviewed, scientific journal that is in a relevant scientific field.

However, I didn't see any reference to such publication in your earlier posts in this thread. Can you point me to where I can find that information. I'd love to learn more from what is documented in those independent sources.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

"Let me state it as plainly as I can: "Eat Less" does NOT work. That's a fact. ACCEPT IT."

"Many people tell me, "I don't understand, I eat less. Iexercise more. But I can't seem to lose any weight." I understand perfectly - because this advice has been PROVEN TO FAIL." Caloric reduction doesn't cause lasting weight loss. Anybody who has ever tried it can tell you."

Well that's dumb as hell. Every time I spend long periods going to bed/waking up hungry, I lose weight. !5 lbs at one point.

Conversely, out of season, when I stuff myself and go to bed so full I don't get hungry again until lunch the next day, I gain weight.

Sounds like another quack.
Quote Reply

Prev Next