Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Folks in Europe: Ford Galaxy big enough for trip with family of four & bike box?
Quote | Reply
I'm in the process of planning a trip from Boston next summer to race IM Norway. After the race we'd be flying to Copenhagen, to go to Legoland, Tivoli, and then visit my brother in-law, who is in Hamburg.

I could leave my bike in a case at the Copenhagen airport, but it was also thinking renting a van, and bring the bike along. Would a Ford Galaxy van be large enough to hold two adults, two kids (they'd be 3 and 6), 3-4 large suitcases, 3-4 backpacks and a bike box?

Thanks in advance!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Folks in Europe: Ford Galaxy big enough for trip with family of four & bike box? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you can put 1 back seat down. There you can put the bike box standing upright.

Much room left in the trunk, and you can also put the backpacks on the floor in front of the back seats because children do not hit the ground with their feet.

I was able to fit in 2 bikes standing upright in the trunk without taken off the wheels + suitcases etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Folks in Europe: Ford Galaxy big enough for trip with family of four & bike box? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I think that would work. I owned a Ford Galaxy. You could carry that load with the two back row seats folded flat, and one of the three middle row seats folded flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learn to pack light (currently en route to Europe for 3 weeks, with my Ritchey breakaway in its smallish case, all bike gear in there, 1 carry-on bag, and small laptop backpack).
Quote Reply
Re: Folks in Europe: Ford Galaxy big enough for trip with family of four & bike box? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
Learn to pack light (currently en route to Europe for 3 weeks, with my Ritchey breakaway in its smallish case, all bike gear in there, 1 carry-on bag, and small laptop backpack).
Two adults, and two kids. 3-4 suitcases and 3-4 backpacks + bike. It sounds like they are packing as light as they can...
Traveling with two kids, how light can you get?

Shipping your bike box (and any unnecessary gear) back via FedEx could be a viable option for you?

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably cheaper and less of a hassle to ship it home and just rent an estate (wagon). Better on fuel, easier to park too.
Quote Reply
Re: Folks in Europe: Ford Galaxy big enough for trip with family of four & bike box? [D_PRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well he did say "large suitcases" ... which is what I was focusing on. IME you can always get by with just a carry-on size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might want to ship the bike back to the states and rent a smaller vehicle. Parking a vehicle of that size in Europe isn’t fun, learned that mistake once.
Quote Reply