Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flying w/ Bike - ref
Quote | Reply
Hey there,

a while ago, someone posted that according to international rules, you should not be charge to fly your bike on international flights (as long as it is only one booking).
A friend flew yesterday to Brazil, and was charged $90 by Delta. We mentioned this "rule" but as we didn't know where this was explicitly stated, we couldn't get away with it.

I will fly in 2 weeks, so if anyone out there knows where I can find the info, that would be awesome.

thanks.

PS anyone there loves Bob Roll "I have found the secret of good climbing" commercial? hillarious...
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w/ Bike - ref [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois,

Wish I could help witht the travel question but don't know. But please, do tell, what are the details of this Bob Roll commercial. I'd love to see it but am dreading that is only on the US version of OLN.

TonyG

What is Enoch Root?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa, that is surprising. I've flown international 4x's with a bike in the last 8 months, no charge. It's always been on British Air though. I'd check the web site. If not found I'd call the 800# and ask where the policy could be located. Once found print it out and bring it with you. Best of luck

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Flying w/ Bike - ref [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And also ask to speak to a supervisor at the airport.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w/ Bike - ref [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've flown with Virgin and Easyjet with my bike and had no problem either.

cheers,
dt.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w/ Bike - ref [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like continental policy is
"screw you, you pay"...2 bikes, both ways...
$320...
then they can always wonder why they are close to
bankrupcy considering the amazing customer service bullshiting they provide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Delta's bike policy is on their website. The $90 charge is for up to 7 bikes. We've flown a number of times on Delta with two or three bikes between the two of us, and only been charged the one charge. I've also used a soft bike case when flying Delta, and had them not charge me on a flight, but I only had one other checked bag, and the flight wasn't full, so they cut me some slack.

If he's lurking out there, Mike Plumb once posted about his solution to this problem. Something about taking down the bike and putting it in a garment bag. That way it's under the size demensions that trigger the charges. He then uses a wheel case, for which there is no extra charge. Mike, if you could reprise that, I'd love to see the specifics as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ARRGGH! Why didn't I see this a few months ago! Just called Continental and it's $100 EACH WAY, domestic or international. CRAP! I'd change my ticket to Paris if I could, but it's non-refundable. I told the woman that they are the only airline that charges for international flights. Her response? "Oh really?"

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clearly a bunch of liars...they told me it is $80 each way...not $100...
clearly BSing everyone...I'll go to the counter and will say: the customer service said it was free of charge on int. flights...going to Paris too.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w/ Bike - ref [Lloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
glad to post again on this. To make it work you need:
  • that largest garment bag you can find
  • two sheets of cardboard for the inside walls
  • two sheets of egg crate foam
  • an adequate knowledge of how to take apart and reassemble a bike
  • a Wheel Safe hardshell wheel case (will hold 3 wheels)
  • appropriate tools

then to make it all fit:
  1. remove seat and post as one unit (don't forget to mark it)
  2. remove pedals
  3. remove right and left crank
  4. undo brake and derailleur cables
  5. remove rear derailleur
  6. remove both wheels and put in wheel case
  7. remove handlebars and stem as one unit and put in wheel case (you now have a pretty stripped down frame, all that remains on it are the brake calipers and the front derailleur)
  8. put the frame in between the cardboar/foam sandwich, be sure to put something in the front and rear dropouts.
  9. seat and cranks get wrapped in small towels and put in, along with bike shoes, running shoes and some clothing
  10. tools get wrapped and put in an outside secured pocket of the case
  11. more clothes in the outside pockets
  12. helmet in the wheel case
  13. wetsuit in either the wheel case or garment bag

I then have a backpack that I carry the rest of the clothes in, and another case for my laptop. I've been able to carry enough for a 4 day trip like this and have never been charged. Any time I am asked, I tell them it is a bike but that it is packed like this to stay within the size limitations and have never been charged. I even had one counter person tell me it was probably safer this way because it was so much easier for the baggage people to handle. I used this method about 5 or 6 times last year without a problem.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Virgin and Continental co-share on flights. So, if I was flying on a Virgin ticket on the same flight I would be able to get my bike on free.

You might be able to use that as leverage.

Cheers,
dt.
Last edited by: davet: May 20, 03 0:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if it has something to do with the airline? I've never been charged when flying international but I think that is because I've never flown international with a US carrier.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w/ Bike - ref [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Mike. I'm all over it.

--Lloyd

"...like every writer, he measured other men's virtues by what they had accomplished, yet asked that other men measure him by what he planned someday to do."
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w/ Bike - ref [Kevin Gingras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indeed...it has to do with the airline and the agent at the counter...
I flew several times with Qantas, Air NZ, Air Transat, etc....never been charged. Southwest for domestic flights never charged me, but delta, AA, have each time...just hoping that I'll be lucky in 2 weeks.

I'll try mike's tricks and will see what happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, the lack of consistency by the airlines is amazing. I flew AA Bermuda to San Diego, no charge, and Air Canada to Toronto, also no charge. The last time I flew to the US with my bike was a couple of years ago, also AA, and they hit me with a $75 charge going, but no charge returning (or was it the other way?)

It would be really nice if they had some kind of a normal policy.

What I do is always budget for a $75 charge. If I don't get hit with it, I use the 'extra' cash to buy something frivolous. Last time I bought carbon fibre water bottle cages. I am so much faster now its scary ;)

J.
Quote Reply