Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fluid Trainers
Quote | Reply
As a christmas present, I got the Nashbar T3 Fluid trainer. This is my first fluid trainer. I was previously using a minoura Mag trainer that I borrowed from a friend. The thing I noticed is that the fluid trainer is much more difficult than the mag trainer. It is great that it has a very large resistance band, but in order for me to achieve a cadence in the 90's, I have to use very low gears on the bike. I have a couple of spinerval videos and I can't even come close to the gear ratios that are called for. The biggest problem is that I can not gear down during rest intervals.

What type of cyclists are these fluid trainers designed for, in otherwords, what cyclist would be comfortable on a fluid trainer in a middle range of gears, just spinning at 90 rpm's? Personally, I am around a 21-22 mph 40K TT on a flat course.

There are several things I can think of,

1) this is a cheap trainer, so the resistance level isn't the same as say a cyclops

2) I have been riding the mag trainer for a few months now (exclusively, no outdoor riding), so my legs aren't used to this type of resistance.

3) I have the resistance wheel pushed too hard against my tire, making the rolling resistance larger than normal (I have a tough time knowing when to stop, it seems that my wheel slips a lot if I don't have it pretty firm)

4) This trainer is designed for better and stonger cyclist.

Are any of these good explanations, if so, which ones? Thanks for the help

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Fluid Trainers [jjmc27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JJ, I too have a fluid trainer (Elite) and have used it for some three years now. It is consistently shown to have a stronger resistance than mag or wind trainers. My model has no adjustment in resistance even to the extent that the resistance is automatically set by the spring on the unit pressing on the tyre.

I will just say that if you think about it there is less to go wrong and that all though you are using lower gears than with the mag trainer you will outgrow it less quickly. Just enjoy the reduction in noise that fluid trainers offer and work away.

Julian in England.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Fluid Trainers [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds good to me, I just wanted to make sure it was me and not the trainer, or the way I set it up. As long as this thing holds up, I don't think I will be outgrowing it any time soon.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply