Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Flos new road wheels
Quote | Reply
I must have seen a insta storie from Flo, I cant find it now but from what I remember their new wheels are going to be about 27 mm wide. I believe they are setting the new standard, Well them and continental when conti refused to make a tubeless 23 mm gp 5000. So basically we finally have a wide tire that actually fits on a rim and isn't wide than the rim when inflated! Well unless I didn't read that and I am remembering wrong... beside the d7 from yoleoe those are the only wheels I know of at around 27 mm. I hope they make the wheels without spoke holes so you don't need rim tape..
Last edited by: Cookiebuilder: Feb 21, 20 9:50
Quote Reply
Re: Flos new road wheels [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a number of other road wheels that wide, and there is a 23mm GP5000. I have 2 of them on my wheels right now.

I am intrigued and would love to see their testing data. Hopefully they tested them head to head against their old wheels.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe most enve wheels are >=27 mm, and the DT Swiss ARC series wheels are 28mm wide. However I'm also super intrigued by these, especially since they said the pricing is planned to be in line with their current carbon clincher wheels. I just hope they have a well-designed, textured brake track like the latest offerings from zipp/enve/bontrager
Quote Reply
Re: Flos new road wheels [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
There are a number of other road wheels that wide, and there is a 23mm GP5000. I have 2 of them on my wheels right now.

I am intrigued and would love to see their testing data. Hopefully they tested them head to head against their old wheels.

Not GP5000 Tubeless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
I must have seen a insta storie from Flo, I cant find it now but from what I remember their new wheels are going to be about 27 mm wide. I believe they are setting the new standard. Well them and continental when conti refused to make a 23 mm go 5000. So basically we finally have a wide tire that actually fits on a rim and isn't wide than the rim when inflated! Well unless I did t read that and I am remembering wrong... beside the d7 from yoleoe those are the only wheels I know of at around 27 mm. I hope they do the non doomed rubles ready that doesnt need rim tape.

Awaiting Hambini's review!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Flos new road wheels [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard hambini says they are the fastest wheels hes ever seen and he loves them!
Quote Reply
Re: Flos new road wheels [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
I believe most enve wheels are >=27 mm, and the DT Swiss ARC series wheels are 28mm wide. However I'm also super intrigued by these, especially since they said the pricing is planned to be in line with their current carbon clincher wheels. I just hope they have a well-designed, textured brake track like the latest offerings from zipp/enve/bontrager

the bummer with enve is they dont let you run the gp 5000s.

You need to come over and ride on saturdays with us now that you came to davis county.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're referring to the AR line? ENVE's non-AR line are fine for GP5000 tubeless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roval CLX64 CL50 etc are quite wide at 29.9 external
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
27 mm internal or external? The former would be extraordinary. The latter? Not at all. A number of road rims are already ~that wide or wider, including their current FLO 60's (both carbon and carbon/alloy) which clock in at 26.9mm external.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Flos new road wheels [DaveQB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DaveQB wrote:
You're referring to the AR line? ENVE's non-AR line are fine for GP5000 tubeless.

Correct. We covered some of the specifics in this article.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new road wheels will be 28mm wide at the brake track. They have been aero optimized for 25-32mm tires around a 21mm internal rim width which we have proven lowers rolling resistance. We are releasing a ton of info this week. If you have any questions about it please let me know.

Jon Thornham
Co-Founder FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Flos new road wheels [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have tested the wheels against our old road wheels. This data will be published on our site this week. We took into consideration the the aero watts and rolling resistance watts. Pretty cool stuff.

Jon Thornham
Co-Founder FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Flos new road wheels [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2016 road line measured between 24.1mm and 25.9mm at the brake track. The internal rim width was 17mm-18mm. The new road line is 28mm at the brake track and 21mm internally. The biggest reason for the change was to gain the benefits of a wider internal rim width for rolling resistance and to optimized aerodynamically around wider tires for lower rolling resistance. What we've shown over the whole line is that we've been able to reduce the watts required to spin the wheels while using wider tires. Additionally, we were able to reduce the FLO 90 at 94.7mm down to a FLO 77 at 76.8mm and make the wheel faster and more stable.

Jon Thornham
Co-Founder FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Flos new road wheels [jonthornham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jon, have been looking over the new All Sport line and they look great. I am close to pulling the trigger but can't find much info on your hubs? What was updated in the Vortex 3? It would also be super interesting to see how the data of the new All Sport series stacks up against some of your competitors (Zipp and Enve.) Any comment you can provide on that front? Thanks and look forward to hearing back.
Quote Reply
Re: Flos new road wheels [Greenj5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good questions. The new FLO Vortex 3 hubs move back to a 6902 bearing in the rear and feature an updated hub shell.

As far as how our wheel stack up to other brands I can say that you are not giving anything up by choosing our wheels or our competitors. The truth is, we all make good wheels and each may have a slight pro or con vs. the other. However, they will all get you a very fast product. Our biggest differentiator is that we sell directly to the consumer vs. going through retail and the cost is lower. Brands like Enve and Zipp make in house and we have our wheel manufactured in Taiwan at a factory we've been with since day one. They make rims for many of the brands you see. I know wheel selection can be tough, if you'd like to call me and talk through it please feel free to give me a call. 702-518-2998.

Jon Thornham
Co-Founder FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing as the Flo folks are on this thread, maybe I'll move the questions from my old thread about the gravel wheels here.

Basically, Flo's specs look very impressive. I have a question about the claimed weights. Flo is claiming 1,882g* per set (the * was on their website when I accessed it, no explanation what it meant). They have internal width of 25.0mm, max width 33.0mm, depth 54.9mm, 24/24 CX-Ray spokes.

November Bicycles builds wheels from stock parts. Their All Road 50 wheel claims to have a 25.5mm internal width, 32.5mm max external width, 50.0mm deep rim with an average weight of 465g. (I believe this is a Light Bicycles rim; November haven't said this explicitly, but they do say they don't have any proprietary rims or hubs, and the specs are very close.) November is claiming a 1,625g wheelset weight with 24/28 Sapim CX-Ray spokes, brass nipples, and Aivee MP2 hubs.

I'm not actually concerned about the extra weight, particularly if it went into a tougher carbon layup for the rims. However, I'm curious what accounts for the extra.
Quote Reply
Re: Flos new road wheels [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An asterisk (*) means that the weight will vary due manufacturing differences.
Quote Reply
Re: Flos new road wheels [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Weights always vary due to manufacturing differences, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great question. This is most likely due to a different layup. Our FLO 49 AS is more inline with the November wheel you mentioned. Our gravel line has a more heavy duty layup due to its intended use. The weight difference though is small and in.m the grand scheme of speed will mean very little. The aero profile and rolling resistance benefits are where you will make your gains. I hope this helps.

Jon Thornham
Co-Founder FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weiwentg wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Weights always vary due to manufacturing differences, though.

They have to put the asterisk so that some moron buys a pair of wheels and they are 10 grams over the claimed weight and wants to return them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonthornham wrote:
Great question. This is most likely due to a different layup. Our FLO 49 AS is more inline with the November wheel you mentioned. Our gravel line has a more heavy duty layup due to its intended use. The weight difference though is small and in.m the grand scheme of speed will mean very little. The aero profile and rolling resistance benefits are where you will make your gains. I hope this helps.

That’s fine. Thanks for the response!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is the chart comparing the overall speed (accounting for aero and CRR) of new versus older wheels? I can’t seem to find it.
Quote Reply
Re: Flos new road wheels [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On each of the wheel product pages you will see a section just below the product configurator that says "Total Power" on web and tablet and "Power" on mobile. If you click that section you will find the data you are looking for. I hope this helps.

Jon Thornham
Co-Founder FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jon.
Quote Reply

Prev Next