Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Florida 70.3 2021 Q's
Quote | Reply
- anyone know the current water temp?
- WC slot information is a tad inconsistent: says they prefer you be there in person, but that you have time to electronically select a slot. So, can we skip the in-person allocation meeting?
- What the cost for the 70.3WC race?
- subjective: Thoughts on the predicted t-storms for race day?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 Q's [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know water temp but it has been wetsuit legal (barely) every year I have done the race. Note, though, that the “lake” is really tiny so it heats up fast. The lake may be wetsuit legal when they take the temp in the dark. But, it’s much warmer by the time you actually start your swim. So, I’d recommend a sleeveless wetsuit if you have one and a swim skin just in case it’s not wetsuit legal.

As for t-storms. Ignore the weather forecast completely. Florida weather forecasts mean NOTHING. The forecasts here say at least 30% chance of storms every day. Most of the time they don’t happen....or happen significantly later than they were first expecting. So, it’s really best to ignore the forecasts completely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Subtotal: $ 525.00
St. George Tax $ 35.44
* Processing fee: $ 44.84
Grand total: $ 605.28
Amount paid: ($ 605.28)
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 Q's [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For real $605 !!! ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the athlete guide, I would say you could skip slot allocation and still get your slot. Sounds like you need to make sure you check a box somewhere in active that you intend to take your slot as well.

Weather forecasts in florida mean nothing. There's a saying here: "if you don't like the weather, wait an hour". Prepare for a hot and humid day.

The temperature has been abnormally "cooler" here the past month but things are starting to warm up. I would expect a wetsuit swim.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears that they now have 150 slots for WC 70.3! That's a lot!! Anybody has an idea of what was the slots' allocation this weekend in Galveston?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 Q's [Michel08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michel08 wrote:
It appears that they now have 150 slots for WC 70.3! That's a lot!! Anybody has an idea of what was the slots' allocation this weekend in Galveston?

here is a link:

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/...31c6&oe=609BEC7E

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 Q's [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Michel08 wrote:

here is a link:

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/...31c6&oe=609BEC7E

That's insane.
Why so many?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 Q's [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I supposed they re-allocated slots from other cancelled or postponed races worldwide because of pandemic.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 Q's [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also most of the international athletes who have slots won’t be able to use them. If I remember correctly they usually have 2000-2500 starters in each the men’s and women’s races? That’s a lot of potential revenue at $625 a pop. Even if it’s primarily only US athletes who can race, they are going to try and collect all of that.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 Q's [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they allocate the slots via email yet? Was expecting to see something by now, but haven't. Athlete guide said didn't have to be in person, but now wondering if made a mistake.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 Q's [twwphilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a few posts on Facebook where folks stated they got their invites via email this morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 Q's [SkyFly Gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkyFly Gal wrote:
Also most of the international athletes who have slots won’t be able to use them. If I remember correctly they usually have 2000-2500 starters in each the men’s and women’s races? That’s a lot of potential revenue at $625 a pop. Even if it’s primarily only US athletes who can race, they are going to try and collect all of that.

Exactly!! A lot of people will be wanking on the 2021 70.3 WC and Kona as not reflective of a true world championship (they did that before covid), but Ironman is a business and they need every dollar they can get to survive after last year's debacle.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Florida 70.3 is on again this December. I am considering doing this race based on the reports I read and videos I saw from a few weekends ago.

My question is do I need to be worried about alligators in this race? Main concern is on swim, I think I could outrun one on land.... anybody see any gators swimming around that area? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 [KyleAC6000CW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KyleAC6000CW wrote:
Looks like Florida 70.3 is on again this December. I am considering doing this race based on the reports I read and videos I saw from a few weekends ago.

My question is do I need to be worried about alligators in this race? Main concern is on swim, I think I could outrun one on land.... anybody see any gators swimming around that area? Thanks.

I did the race in 2016. A local said he’d be more worried about water moccasins than gators. Didn’t see any on race day!!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KyleAC6000CW wrote:

If there is a body of fresh water in florida, I can guarantee you there's been a gator in there at some point.

No you don't need to be worried. They will want nothing to do with you or the hundreds/thousands around you.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has there ever been a reported gator/shark attack during a race? I would guess maybe a shark attack for one of the fishes off the front, but gators are pretty skittish around large groups.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KyleAC6000CW wrote:

If so you will be well motivated to swim faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KyleAC6000CW wrote:
Main concern is on swim, I think I could outrun one on land.... anybody see any gators swimming around that area? Thanks.

Ever seen a gator run on land? You’re not outrunning one either. They’re very quick when they want.

I live in FL and my house sits on a big man made pond. Gators live in the pond. Those suckers can haul ass.

I wouldn’t worry about them though. They will steer clear of the mass chaos.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Has there ever been a reported gator/shark attack during a race? I would guess maybe a shark attack for one of the fishes off the front, but gators are pretty skittish around large groups.

I'm pretty sure there's been shark attacks during races in Australia/NZ. But I've never heard of any gator attacks.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess maybe a shark attack for one of the fishes off the front, but gators are pretty skittish around large groups. //

That is exactly what happened to me by a hammerhead, and oddly enough in Florida in the mid 80's. Daytona Beach to be exact...
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
KyleAC6000CW wrote:
Main concern is on swim, I think I could outrun one on land.... anybody see any gators swimming around that area? Thanks.

Ever seen a gator run on land? You’re not outrunning one either. They’re very quick when they want.

I live in FL and my house sits on a big man made pond. Gators live in the pond. Those suckers can haul ass.

I wouldn’t worry about them though. They will steer clear of the mass chaos.

Run in zig zags!!!

But in all seriousness, anyone find the date of this race interesting? 1 week after daytona. I'm not going to say their primary reason to put this race on was to compete with Challenge but it was definitely part of their reason. And I'm sure they see a late 2021 race in Florida as easy cashflow.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I would guess maybe a shark attack for one of the fishes off the front, but gators are pretty skittish around large groups. //

That is exactly what happened to me by a hammerhead, and oddly enough in Florida in the mid 80's. Daytona Beach to be exact...

Not surprising. New Smyrna Beach is notorious for shark attacks. I've surfed there a handful of times and while it's one of the most consistent breaks in Florida, it's undoubtedly the sharkiest.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same as last year if I remember correctly. It was due to deferrals so I'm curious who will get the majority of athletes this year. Challenge or Ironman.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 2021 [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
It was due to deferrals so I'm curious who will get the majority of athletes this year. Challenge or Ironman.

You meant that to be in pink font, right?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next