Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Flora
Quote | Reply
Figured she'd win, but damn, gurl!!! 1:46 margin after highfiving half the island. Good races by holland and zaferes to round out the podium too.

Anyone get any video they can post? I saw a clip of the finish and a bit from the run.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Flora [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Figured she'd win, but damn, gurl!!! 1:46 margin after highfiving half the island. Good races by holland and zaferes to round out the podium too.

Anyone get any video they can post? I saw a clip of the finish and a bit from the run.

Not surprisingly, it was a perfect course for Flora to show her dominance in all three disciplines.She's in a different league right now. I was a bit gutted for Katie Z. She was on the front of the bike group pulling for much of the ride while Vicky H. seemed content to sit in and save her legs for the run. Yes it's within the rules but was hard to stomach.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this Jason.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20180426/ms-amlin-world-triathlon-bermuda-----replay
Quote Reply
Re: Flora [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that's the rules, if you don't want that tactic used against you then you've gotta do something to disrupt or neutralize it. Easier said than done, but that's sport.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Flora [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blocked in my location, at least the women's race is. Which is the one I wanna watch, of course

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Blocked in my location, at least the women's race is. Which is the one I wanna watch, of course

Can't help you there. Put a VPN extension like tunnelbear on your browser and you can watch it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Here are two short clips

This event was HUGE down here. Everyone was talking about it. I took two cab rides and both cabbies wanted to know more about the race. There's a 5 story tall poster of Flora on the side on the hotel on the run/bike course. I wonder if that was an intimidation tactic :-). There were about 200 people at the top of the hill. Each time she passed, it sounded like a volcano erupting "Flora! Flora!"

Thank goodness the race was yesterday. The front is passing through and it's raining now. The harbor is churning up and the winds are even stronger than yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: Flora [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Can't help you there. Put a VPN extension like tunnelbear on your browser and you can watch it.

Or perhaps you could pony-up 20-odd USD and subscribe to triathlonlive.tv for a year’s worth of content
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw it on cable in Boston. Great race. That was a long dive into the water at the start! Couple athletes lost their balance I think and got penalties. She led the swim then just crushed the bike and it was over! I missed the men's race. Who won that?

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Flora [trineuropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trineuropa wrote:
Bdaghisallo wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Or perhaps you could pony-up 20-odd USD and subscribe to triathlonlive.tv for a year’s worth of content

Best investment in sports content I've done in a while. HD, great commentary - top stuff.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Flora [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
trineuropa wrote:
Bdaghisallo wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Best investment in sports content I've done in a while. HD, great commentary - top stuff.

X2 and I'm in incredible cheapskate

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Flora [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
I saw it on cable in Boston. Great race. That was a long dive into the water at the start! Couple athletes lost their balance I think and got penalties. She led the swim then just crushed the bike and it was over! I missed the men's race. Who won that?

No kidding - at least six feet, depending on the tide. The AG'ers did an in-water start, fortunately. I watched the elite swim practice Thursday and Flora even commented to one of the race organizers that the dive was "crazy".
Quote Reply
Re: Flora [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some reason a friend of mine recruited a group of awful AGers to have the Bermuda tourism authority film us diving off the pontoon (even though as said above, AG is in water start), it was a shit ton of fun but if they end up using that footage we'll be laughed off the face of the planet. We wouldn't even make the Filipino diving team. But yes, as someone who got a chance to dive off that, it was (fun!) a long dive.

My favourite part of all this was that every single lap that Flora ripped through downtown, she just had the biggest smile on her face on the bike. I think she was working hard enough on the run that she kept it in until the last lap but she looked like she was loving it. It really was amazing being on an inside corner and how close she got to it while every other woman was at least 5 feet out of the corner.

Great race, highly recommend it and hope if you do come out for next year's race that Flora will be here dominating again so the energy stays insanely high.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I was a bit gutted for Katie Z. She was on the front of the bike group pulling for much of the ride while Vicky H. seemed content to sit in and save her legs for the run. Yes it's within the rules but was hard to stomach.

In Vicky Holland's defence, she said in an interview with the BBC afterwards that it was her first Olympic distance race in 11(?) months, didn't feel great and didn't know how long she was going to be able to hang on for, so seeing as KZ was eager to do so much of the work, she just let her.

It made for an exciting finish though!
Quote Reply
Re: Flora [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I can get sufficient fitness, I'd like to come back for the AG race next year, and hopefully watch flora win again on home soil.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if they are doing replays, but RadCan is showing the whole series this year: https://ici.radio-canada.ca/...s/horaire-diffusions

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I was a bit gutted for Katie Z. She was on the front of the bike group pulling for much of the ride while Vicky H. seemed content to sit in and save her legs for the run. Yes it's within the rules but was hard to stomach//

It is a flaw in an athlete that cannot shake someone that just sits on, she needs to learn what that flaw is and how to fix it. Watch the race when the Brownlees and Gomez are all racing, you won't find anyone sitting on for very long, ever. But for some reason the womens racing has just not caught up to the racing tactics of the men. So don't feel gutted for her, she apparently did what she knew how to do, next thing is to get some good bike tactic coaching..
Quote Reply
Re: Flora [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I was a bit gutted for Katie Z. She was on the front of the bike group pulling for much of the ride while Vicky H. seemed content to sit in and save her legs for the run. Yes it's within the rules but was hard to stomach//

It is a flaw in an athlete that cannot shake someone that just sits on, she needs to learn what that flaw is and how to fix it. Watch the race when the Brownlees and Gomez are all racing, you won't find anyone sitting on for very long, ever. But for some reason the womens racing has just not caught up to the racing tactics of the men. So don't feel gutted for her, she apparently did what she knew how to do, next thing is to get some good bike tactic coaching..

The difference imo is bike power/strength. That's something that happens when these single sport athletes come over to ITU. The 1st thing they suck at is actual bike tactical skills, thus that skill is acquired much earlier than bike power/strength that is learned last or takes the longest to acquire. IE- it's easiest to teach someone new to a bike the technical skills to "sit in" than it is for them to gain the bike power to ride away from a group. With the way Duffy is racing though that is now becoming a much more prevalent required skill.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Flora [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should also add there are actually very few athletes in either the men or women's race that can actually "ride away" from a group who are "sitting on". That power requirement is very rare for most itu athletes. It's really really really hard to actually ride people off your wheel and stay away. You mentioned BB's and Gomez, and maybe 1 or 2 others and on the women's side probaly only Duffy (I think Knibb is strong, I dont know if she has the ability to break away from a group of athletes if she comes out together with them out of the swim....if it's just her and Duffy, her ability to help Duffy is there, but she's still too raw with itu competition to draw much conclusions, *yet*). Most athletes at the elite level have the ability/strength to atleast "sit in" (not get dropped and either fake rotate or just sit on) but it's rare to find ones that can actually break away from the front group.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn is right. She is dominating like we haven’t seen since last Olympiad. Imagine if Jorgensen had come back. That would have made for some epic rivalry. Duffy would have whipped her today for certain. But overall the dynamic would have been nuts. Can Duffy get away with anyone who can help? Can Jorgensen get her chase pack to work? How much lead does the Flora freight train need to hold off the hard charging Gwen express? Oh well, c’est la vie.
Quote Reply
Re: Flora [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way Gwen is running I doubt Flora could hold her off. Flora is only dominating because Gwen’s focus on being a pure runner. It’d be close but Flora would have her share of 2nds.
Quote Reply
Re: Flora [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
The way Gwen is running I doubt Flora could hold her off. Flora is only dominating because Gwen’s focus on being a pure runner. It’d be close but Flora would have her share of 2nds.

I'm not so sure about that, it was prety close towards the end of that last year they both raced (remember Duffy beat her in the grand final)

Duffy's swim and run has gone up another level since then, not to say that Gwens swim and bike wouldn't have gone up another level either but we'll never know now I suppose.

I keep waiting to see how a fit Spirig, changes the dynamics with someone like Stimpson maybe enough firepower there on the bike so that Flora doesn't come out T2 with over a minute lead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
women's race was on TV on Saturday for us. Showed the whole race with one of the regular commentators and Lisa Norden. They did a great job. Informative, but chatty, and they both sounded like they were having as great a time watching the event as the rest of us. it can't be an easy thing to commentate on when an hour and a half of the broadcast was pretty much Flora riding solo on a 10 lap course followed by Flora running on her own for 10K but i don't remember it ever being dull.

great ad for tourism in Bermuda
Quote Reply
Re: Flora [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flora beating Gwen at Cozumel isnt the best example, IMO. Gwen won the Olympics, that was her focus and i'm sure she wasn't entirely focused post Olympics. Flora on the other hand had a sub par performance at Rio who didn't have all the media requirements post olympics as Gwen.

Gwen helped Flora turn into what Flora is today. Its just unfortunate that when Flora is getting into her peak, Gwen moved on. Oh well.

But, you put Gwen in that main group at Bermuda and theres no way she's catching Flora on the run.

Jackets wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

I'm not so sure about that, it was prety close towards the end of that last year they both raced (remember Duffy beat her in the grand final)

Duffy's swim and run has gone up another level since then, not to say that Gwens swim and bike wouldn't have gone up another level either but we'll never know now I suppose.

I keep waiting to see how a fit Spirig, changes the dynamics with someone like Stimpson maybe enough firepower there on the bike so that Flora doesn't come out T2 with over a minute lead.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Flora [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
Flora beating Gwen at Cozumel isnt the best example, IMO. Gwen won the Olympics, that was her focus and i'm sure she wasn't entirely focused post Olympics. Flora on the other hand had a sub par performance at Rio who didn't have all the media requirements post olympics as Gwen.

Gwen helped Flora turn into what Flora is today. Its just unfortunate that when Flora is getting into her peak, Gwen moved on. Oh well.

But, you put Gwen in that main group at Bermuda and theres no way she's catching Flora on the run.

Jackets wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

I think when Gwen was dominating the woman's field was a bit more stacked also.

Flora had a prety weak field last year to contend with with injuries and pregnencies without wanting to take anything away from her.

It'd be nice if someone could come through and challenge Flora it's getting dull, at least with Gwen you had the excitement of will she be able to chase them down.
Quote Reply

Prev Next