Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Flo Wheels - Who is going to cancel
Quote | Reply
Received an email this morning from Flo stating that you could cancel your order if you were not happy with the group you are in. So is anyone going to cancel because you are not getting your wheels fast enough?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheels - Who is going to cancel [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about it!! I was on-line at 10:00am exactly and after going spending 30 mins with their bad servers, I ended up in Group 2. Kinda disappointing.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheels - Who is going to cancel [billyd0012] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on for the launch and had issues getting through. Initially I was disappointed, but now that I think about it, I don't know why anyone would want to be in group 1 by choice. Group 2 or 3 will mean that several hundred people will have the first batch of wheels, ride them, formulate options, and post on the internet about them. If the reviews are stellar, stay in line and get your wheels a month later. If the reviews are poor, cancel your order. Being in group 2 gets you good prices and allows someone else to be the early adopter.
Last edited by: nickwisconsin: Feb 28, 12 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheels - Who is going to cancel [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be interested in hearing what might constitute a poor review.

They use an aluminum rim, sapim spokes and a standard hub (even if its slightly custom, theres nothing especially intricate about them). The fairing is irrelevant as long as the shape is consistent and there are no issues with the carbon mating up to the rim (okay, so not irrelevant but thats really the only two concerns I might have and from what I've seen, wouldnt be too worried about that). There are a number of reviews on the interwebs already (tririg, tribomb...well that might be it).

I'm confident they wont send defective wheels which would mean that my greatest concern would just not be getting wheels at all. But again, wouldnt be worried about that either after seeing the quality of the wheels from their new manufacturer.

Also, I haven't purchased a single wheel from FLO.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because of baby #2 I'm only racing in June and July so I was hoping to get into group 1 but I was not that lucky. That being said I like the whole FLO concept and like to support guys going for their dream and starting their own company so I'm sticking with my order. Plus I would have bought aero wheels sooner or later and this was the motivation I needed to do it (at $100 off to boot).

Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheels - Who is going to cancel [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:

They use an aluminum rim, sapim spokes and a standard hub (even if its slightly custom, theres nothing especially intricate about them). The fairing is irrelevant as long as the shape is consistent and there are no issues with the carbon mating up to the rim (okay, so not irrelevant but thats really the only two concerns I might have and from what I've seen, wouldnt be too worried about that). There are a number of reviews on the interwebs already (tririg, tribomb...well that might be it).

I'm confident they wont send defective wheels which would mean that my greatest concern would just not be getting wheels at all. But again, wouldnt be worried about that either after seeing the quality of the wheels from their new manufacturer.

What could be negative? The anodizing isn't done well, the carbon fairing has waves in it, the hub doesn't spin smooth, bonding to the rim has residue or is not seamless, the holes in the carbon for the spoke are drilled poorly or excessively large, they weigh more than advertised, the wheel isn't true, the wheel is not true after riding x number of miles, the quick release feels/looks cheap, the wheel won't fit in my frame despite claims that it will, etc. Is that enough?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in group 2. I HAD a few races planned for June but unfortunately broke my leg two days ago in a skiing accident. Getting the wheels will be a great motivator for the rehab following my surgery. Most people have been waiting for these wheels for over a year, not sure another month or so would make much of a difference.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course you're free to question all of that and I understand how some might have concerns but I truly believe that they wont deliver wheels if they are uncertain about any part of the construction/build.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what are flo wheels? are they like zipps?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:
wsrobert wrote:

What could be negative? The anodizing isn't done well, the carbon fairing has waves in it, the hub doesn't spin smooth, bonding to the rim has residue or is not seamless, the holes in the carbon for the spoke are drilled poorly or excessively large, they weigh more than advertised, the wheel isn't true, the wheel is not true after riding x number of miles, the quick release feels/looks cheap, the wheel won't fit in my frame despite claims that it will, etc. Is that enough?

the quick release feels/looks cheap- Really? You would complain about that?

I would say if there is one mistake FLO has made is that they have included quick-releases. These little $10 items can be an absolute customer service nightmare.

You seem to have really thought it out about all the negatives that could happen. I will bet none of that is going to be the case. My speculation (not confirmed and only based on pictures and info released) is that the rims are being made by Gigantex. They also produce rim for HED among others. As far as the stuff coming from the east their stuff is of the highest quality.

And no I didn't buy either due to a very fortunate obligation to ride Industry Nine. I would have bought otherwise though.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in group one so I'm happy. Hopefully they'll arrive in time to use for Boulder Sprint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Online at 10 AM but still in group 2. A race is IMFLA so no biggie. Not cancelling.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheels - Who is going to cancel [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
nickwisconsin wrote:
wsrobert wrote:

the quick release feels/looks cheap- Really? You would complain about that?

I would say if there is one mistake FLO has made is that they have included quick-releases. These little $10 items can be an absolute customer service nightmare.

You seem to have really thought it out about all the negatives that could happen. I will bet none of that is going to be the case. My speculation (not confirmed and only based on pictures and info released) is that the rims are being made by Gigantex. They also produce rim for HED among others. As far as the stuff coming from the east their stuff is of the highest quality.

And no I didn't buy either due to a very fortunate obligation to ride Industry Nine. I would have bought otherwise though.

Lighten up. Someone asked me what might constitute a poor review. So I listed all the possibilities. If you read the entire thread you can see that I ordered some wheels from Flo myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, to be fair, all but one of those issues (won't stay true) would be noticed on a first inspection before you ever ride them, so just send them back. You can return unused wheels and they are warrantied for 2 years.

The biggest potential problem that I see is that I placed an order (#176, First Group!) and I now have $800 locked in. If something goes wrong, they don't ship, or they are defective when they arrive, I have spent $800 on gear for the 2012 season that I don't get to use.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheels - Who is going to cancel [cliffk110] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

They are new and improved.
Last edited by: Constantine: Feb 28, 12 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheels - Who is going to cancel [Lou3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lou3000 wrote:
Well, to be fair, all but one of those issues (won't stay true) would be noticed on a first inspection before you ever ride them, so just send them back. You can return unused wheels and they are warrantied for 2 years.

The biggest potential problem that I see is that I placed an order (#176, First Group!) and I now have $800 locked in. If something goes wrong, they don't ship, or they are defective when they arrive, I have spent $800 on gear for the 2012 season that I don't get to use.

You can cancel your order at anytime. You are not locked into anything if you choose not to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's only 70 total orders ahead of me and they're indicating my F/R 60's are in group 2 and disc in group 3. Whaaa? Did those 70 order 6 wheels each?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be surprised if there were any major manufacturing defects. I could however image that someone from group 1 takes the wheels to the wind tunnel. Since nobody outside the company has tested the wheels, that would be the biggest potential issue that could be uncovered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah - staying. Already have some Hed Jet 90s, Zipp 404s, Disc, etc. just throwing some business to Flo since following them. Same reason I almost always "buy American" I guess. Great guys and I do "my part" ;-)

Quote | Reply
yeah, i bought a FLO 60 front 'cause i wanted a new front and this looked like a cool wheel at a good price. plus, i'm not in a huge rush, so the cost/benefit was there.

i didn't pay any attention to the grouping, so now i don't know what it means.
i'm #700, that's group 2. in a perfect world, when will i get the wheel? and if i had made it into group 1, when WOULD i have gotten them?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheels - Who is going to cancel [cliffk110] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cliffk110 wrote:

better, faster, and cheaper!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheels - Who is going to cancel [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
i'm #700, that's group 2. in a perfect world, when will i get the wheel?

Likely some time in June.

Quote:
and if i had made it into group 1, when WOULD i have gotten them?

1 month earlier.

Their shipping groups were originally:

Group1: 60-90 days after March 7
Group2: 90-120 days after March 7
Group3: 120-150 days after March 7

Not sure if that's changed at all now.

I was a little bummed that I didn't make it into group 1, but realistically it makes no difference to me since I'll probably have no chance to use them until July anyway.

Asad
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheels - Who is going to cancel [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what the difference is between the cyldesdale and the regular wheels?

I'm around 185-190 so I think I would go with the clydesdale, but there's no weight difference...so I'm not sure what the real difference is.

http://www.flocycling.com/...nt_flo_60_select.php

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheels - Who is going to cancel [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good one!

at least u have a good sense of humor :P

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheels - Who is going to cancel [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camaleon wrote:
good one!

at least u have a good sense of humor :P

Ah, now I feel dumb. I wasn't making a joke. I can't figure out the difference!

They both say 857 grams. Help a slow brother out :).

FLO 60
Features
Bearings: Stainless Steel
Fairingss: FLO Wide Toroidal (60mm)
Rims: FLO WIDE RIDE
Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray
Hubs: FLO VORTEX
Weight: 875 grams
Rider Weight: 198lbs or Less
Quick Release Skewer: Included
Rim Tape: Included

FLO 60 Clydesdale