Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flo 77 Carbon wheel and GP5000
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, I am struggling mightily to install a GP5000 tire on my new Flo 77AS. The tire is a 700x25c and I am using latex tube. The tire is so tight and narrow especially, that it's pinching all around the tube when installed. No way to pump it up and seat it. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
Last edited by: talegater: Dec 23, 20 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 77 Carbon wheel and GP5000 [talegater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talegater wrote:
Hi guys, I am struggling mightily to install a GP5000 tire on my new Flo 77AS. The tire is a 700x25c and I am using latex tube. The tire is so tight and narrow especially, that it's pinching all around the tube when installed. No way to pump it up and seat it. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

I always blow a little air into my latex tube first to give it shape. It allows the tube to easily sit in place as you massage the tire on. If anything only the last little bit may pinch if you're not careful but you can manipulate the tube a bit from there and it should be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 77 Carbon wheel and GP5000 [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mugen_EP wrote:
talegater wrote:

I always blow a little air into my latex tube first to give it shape. It allows the tube to easily sit in place as you massage the tire on. If anything only the last little bit may pinch if you're not careful but you can manipulate the tube a bit from there and it should be fine.

I second this. Put air in tube to push more tube material up into tire space, then let a bit of it out, then check and I bet the tube will have worked itself out of that pinch that circumnavigates the entire wheel.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never put air in latex tubes before installing them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, use the powder if you can by to keep the latex slippery as the tire is moved on.

Second of all, as you start pushing the second half of the the tire beads over the rim -- that is, as as you are finishing the intall - try to keep the tire bead centered on the rim. In other words, when start pushing the second half of the bead over the rim, try to force the beads to the very center, deepest part of the tire channel. This will give you as much room on the other side of the rim as possible, minimizing the chance of pinching the tube underneathh the tire when you get to that side.

It doesn't seem like much but forcing the tire bead to the center of the rim gives you a surprising amount of room on the other side of the rim.
Last edited by: JoeO: Dec 23, 20 22:26
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 77 Carbon wheel and GP5000 [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks! And to everyone that responded. Still working on it. The additional pump in air and release does seem to help but still a bit of pinching.

I think park of my problem is putting the tube on before mounting one side of the tire. I should have mounted tire on one side, slipped the tube in, then finished the other side I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I think park of my problem is putting the tube on before mounting one side of the tire. I should have mounted tire on one side, slipped the tube in, then finished the other side I think."

I have never heard of someone installing a tire like that before.

Yes, that is your problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mounted GP5000 (non-tubeless) on those same Flo rims recently. They went on fine. As you said above, frankly, you’ve been doing it wrong. Mount one side of the tire, mount the tube, then you finish mounting the other side of the tire. Blow just enough air into the tube first to give it some shape.

To finish mounting the second side of the tire, squeeze the tire into the center channel of the rim, going all the way around the wheel. Then work a little more of the tire onto the rim. Squeeze into center, mount a little more tire, etc., and keep repeating.

Another tip: put the tire in the sun for an hour before mounting. It makes the tire a little more flexible and easier to work with.
Quote Reply