Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flat kit setup for: Disc+Deep CF wheel requiring valve extenders
Quote | Reply
I've read prior good threads on valve extender and flat kit setups on ST including disc wheels, but just asking again since the good threads I saw were from way back many years ago, and wondering if there have been any updates.

I'm assuming removable-core tubes are the way to go (Conti brand, for example), and extenders like the Conti branded ones unless there are better. Is that Teflon tape still needed?

I know it's recommended to have a separate set of PRE-installed extenders on your new tubes in your flat kit, but on a training ride if you have the bad luck of a double flat for whatever reason, how hard is it to change out the tube while reinstalling the extender anew?

Right now I'm not using any valve extenders and just riding 50mm CF wheels but am eyeing a dedicated disc for racing down that road as well as deeper wheel options just for the fun of it but I do flat semiregularly (annoyingly) so def have to be ready to deal with it.
Last edited by: lightheir: Feb 28, 21 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: Flat kit setup for: Disc+Deep CF wheel requiring valve extenders [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really answering the exact question asked, maybe. But I have had experience, both good and bad here. Using one spare tube while racing for a disc and a deep front, requires having a NON-preinstalled extender and a tube that will work correctly with the disc. I also packed the little plastic "wrench" thing for the extender install in the flat kit and a crack pipe.

The one thing I will add from a bad experience that resulted in me making a "pick me up" phone call, is that if you're going to try an arrangement like this, go through your kit and make certain that all of the parts you've included actually work together correctly to accomplish the task. IIRC I had a mismatch of extender and tube valve type.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat kit setup for: Disc+Deep CF wheel requiring valve extenders [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I'm out training on the TT bike, with the deep dish wheels, I will have a separate flat kit already set up. The spare will already have a 'problem solver' style extender with the removable core additional core already threaded on. In the past I have been caught without being prepared, and it was a monumental PITA.

There are two basic extenders out there - I probably don't have the terminology correct, but there is a 'straight tube' extender that basically threads over the existing valve on the tire - generally used for tubes that don't have removable cores. They Suck.

The other style is the kind that requires you to remove the core in the valve. The extender threads into the 'hole' and then the valve core threads into the end of the extender. This is the kind to use. This style has orings built in and does not require teflon tape. Problem Solvers is a manufacturer of these style. The little wrench is used for this operation.

Quote Reply
Re: Flat kit setup for: Disc+Deep CF wheel requiring valve extenders [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:
When I'm out training on the TT bike, with the deep dish wheels, I will have a separate flat kit already set up. The spare will already have a 'problem solver' style extender with the removable core additional core already threaded on. In the past I have been caught without being prepared, and it was a monumental PITA.

There are two basic extenders out there - I probably don't have the terminology correct, but there is a 'straight tube' extender that basically threads over the existing valve on the tire - generally used for tubes that don't have removable cores. They Suck.

The other style is the kind that requires you to remove the core in the valve. The extender threads into the 'hole' and then the valve core threads into the end of the extender. This is the kind to use. This style has orings built in and does not require teflon tape. Problem Solvers is a manufacturer of these style. The little wrench is used for this operation.

This is the answer. I use Silca extenders like pictured. Just carry the little plastic tool with you and swap the extender to the new tube. Done.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat kit setup for: Disc+Deep CF wheel requiring valve extenders [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious - why was it such a PITA when you did NOT have pre-installed extra extenders in your flat kit?

Was it strictly because you lacked the core removal tool? That tool is tiny, and is easy to carry even during races (I do). Or was it something else about the extender?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"there is a 'straight tube' extender that basically threads over the existing valve on the tire - generally used for tubes that don't have removable cores. They Suck".

Why would they generally be used with tubes that don't have a removable core?

Why do they suck?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubeless! Find myself "puncturing" on average once every 2-3 weeks or so, but I've only had to plug twice and put in a tube once, most of the time I don't even stop.

If that's not an option, you will need the little tool to remove the core from a tube, but swapping extenders is super easy, you don't need the tool and I've never really bothered with teflon tape. I've always used silca valve extenders, am a big fan. I think one of the reason I don't have to use teflon tape is they have a nice gasket that some other extenders don't, which makes for a nice seal. Make sure your CO2 canister is one of the kinds with the tiny head so it'll fit into the disc cutout, that way you don't have to worry about a crack pipe in your flat kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not prepare, and only had a tube - thank goodness it had a removable core. I did not have the little wrench either ! I was riding in a state park and the only thing that saved me from walking is that I asked a Ranger to borrow his leatherman ! I was then able to change out the extender and core - without it, I was walking.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat kit setup for: Disc+Deep CF wheel requiring valve extenders [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did'nt we have this conversation in a previous thread ? (Should be in Pink)

If you have a tube with a removable core - you would use the 'Problem Solvers' 'Silca' style of extender.

With the 'tube style' you have to leave the existing valve threaded open - to allow the pump to pressure the tire. In my experience, the core has a habit of vibrating closed, and then you can't inflate the tire. But of course, maybe that was just my bad luck - your experience may vary !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"If you have a tube with a removable core - you would use the 'Problem Solvers' 'Silca' style of extender".

Why would you use a "Problem Solvers" or "Silca" style of extender?

Why wouldn't you use a regular extender?

"In my experience, the core has a habit of vibrating closed, and then you can't inflate the tire".

It won't close if you glue it open or bend the threaded center of the valve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a disc and 90mm front. For the front I use the "straw" style extenders (just a tube, no need to do anything with the valve core). The spare tube in my flat kit has teflon tape pre applied, and if it's a front flat I just use the extender from the flatted tube.

Basically the same setup since the '90s...but it works. It's also faster than having to mess with valve cores during a race.

There are some nicer extenders that have an O-ring seal so the teflon tape in unnecessary. I have some CN ones from eBay that were $4/pair that have O-rings.

Note: If you want to be super aero, remove the valve extender from the front wheel after you pump the tires race day and stash it in the flat kit (only works if the valve core is still in the tube's valve stem, of course).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you have a good spare storage set up this is what i do on my trek sc. i race on a hed disc and a jet 9 or 6 front. i carry two spares. one loaded up with a silca or conti valve extender with the removeable core type to the proper height for either the jet 9 or 6. and then the second one is just a standard 48mm length stem for my disc. dont have to worry about using the finicky straw type extenders then that just thread over the top of the existing valve. and you have a spare set up and ready to go for either wheel
Quote Reply