Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Flanders won on Turbo Cotton clinchers.
Quote | Reply
Not tubeless, not tubulars just some tubed clinchers. Just sayin. I know, I know, sponsorship, marketing blah blah blah. Still they were clinchers.
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders won on Turbo Cotton clinchers. [TheWhiteCarrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Latex tubes?
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders won on Turbo Cotton clinchers. [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guaranteed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, using tubs has primarily been the ease with which you can change a flat compared to a clincher. And knowing there's no pinch flats, no thorns still stuck in the tyre etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Special Turbo Cottons, though, not the regular ones we get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for ruining my day
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders won on Turbo Cotton clinchers. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We'll have access to them soon, right? Don't we have to?
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders won on Turbo Cotton clinchers. [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m pretty sure they are off the shelf Turbo Cotton Hell of the North clinchers in 28mm width. So they are available to the general public.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surely you are wrong! We must go tubeless and need foam tire liners and sealant 😜

Team Zoot So Cal
Last edited by: Karl: Apr 4, 21 20:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spoiler in your header:(
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders won on Turbo Cotton clinchers. [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
For me, using tubs has primarily been the ease with which you can change a flat compared to a clincher.
This seems weird to me. I have a hard time getting tubulars off, and don't think it's safe cornering hard on a newly installed tubular such as after a change out on the road.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders won on Turbo Cotton clinchers. [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% agree. There are plenty of cases for tubulars (like being able to ride on a flat), but ease of change isn't one of them. Especially because it's always a full wheel swap anyway. No one is changing tires/tubes in the pro peloton mid race.
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders won on Turbo Cotton clinchers. [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Surely you are wrong! We must go tubeless and need foam tire liners and sealant 😜

laugh if you want, but that combo has already won a flanders week spring classic. the chief complaint of pro cyclists when considering anything but a tubular is safety after a high speed flat, and the ability to ride a flat until a new wheel shows up. it seems to me the tire liner solves this. i don't know. i have a set of these, i assume you don't, i'll report back what i find.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
For me, using tubs has primarily been the ease with which you can change a flat compared to a clincher.
This seems weird to me. I have a hard time getting tubulars off, and don't think it's safe cornering hard on a newly installed tubular such as after a change out on the road.

Tubular tires are very easy to remove. Use a razor blade to cut completely through them, stick your finger inside, and peel it off like a snake.

After installing your spare tire, just go around corners slowly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
... And knowing there's no pinch flats...

Tubulars pinch flat plenty. Often as easily as clinchers. Pros flat tubulars all the time. Most of those are pinch flats, not punctures. Better yet, watch cyclocross pros -- almost all on tubulars, and pinch flatting regularly.

Anyone who argues that tubulars won't pinch flat doesn't understand how a pinch flat happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders won on Turbo Cotton clinchers. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i have a set of these, i assume you don't, i'll report back what i find.

Me too. Though I'm a TTer/stage racer, I think they make perfect sense for that. In a pure TT or stage race TT as soon as you flat you're effectively in last place. Often in a stage race with time cut enforcement, you're headed home.

These would theoretically let you ride to the finish. It might be 4-5 MPH slower, or whatever the rolling resistance hit is, but it'd be nice to get to the finish instead of walking the last 2-3 miles (or whatever) to the finish uttering random profanities.

Even with tubulars I'd typically walk as not being a pro I don't even like to ride on barely-protected tubular rims. While a well-glued tubular won't come off, it can sort of get pushed to the side while cornering, exposing rim to asphalt at times.

If these truly protect the rim while flat, they're compelling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Karl wrote:

laugh if you want, but that combo has already won a flanders week spring classic. the chief complaint of pro cyclists when considering anything but a tubular is safety after a high speed flat, and the ability to ride a flat until a new wheel shows up. it seems to me the tire liner solves this. i don't know. i have a set of these, i assume you don't, i'll report back what i find.

It would be nice (and useful) to know the effects, if any, on rolling resistance for the liners. The claim is there's little affect, but I haven't seen any actual data one way or the other.

Oh, and I haven't forgotten about those Schwalbe Urethan tubes you sent me...I just haven't done any roller testing lately ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

is that indeed confirmed? asgreen was not running latex tubes? and was using the pool noodle things?
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders won on Turbo Cotton clinchers. [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:

is that indeed confirmed? asgreen was not running latex tubes? and was using the pool noodle things?

not this year. gent-wevelgem 2019. kristoff. what has happened in the interim i don't know. kristoff had 3 podiums last year in 1-day races, including tour of flanders, and he won the 1st stage of the TDF last year. was he using them then? don't know. perhaps i can find out.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Well I've heard of tyres popping off the rim, but I flatted in Cairns 70.3, hilly route with tight corners and the tyre had tape, no glue. The replacement had no tape, no glue, nothing and was fine. All it had was a slightly tacky residue left behind from the dead tyre. So no idea how people are losing glued tyres? I now glue my tyres, but carry a razor blade.

I did a video of me changing a tub in 46s to show how quick it is. I'd take more time in a race to make sure it's seated right, but still 46s is a lot quicker than you could change a clincher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another advantage if with some tubs you can ride flat at a decent pace. No way with Corsa Speeds, but my Conti Comps you can ride when completely flat. Luckily I've not tested this, but overtook a guy in IMWA, I could hear his rear making a funny noise and as I passed him could see his rear was completely flat. It was a Conti Comp. Had a chat with him and he'd had 2 flats and was all out of tyres, had been riding at 30km/hr for 40km with a flat. It would have been race over with a clincher. He was cooked though and had to run/walk the marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders won on Turbo Cotton clinchers. [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
zedzded wrote:
... And knowing there's no pinch flats...

Anyone who argues that tubulars won't pinch flat doesn't understand how a pinch flat happens.

Yup you're right. I'm referring to when the tube gets trapped between the rim and tyre when you change it. You inflate it and it pops. Obviously if you take your time this won't happen, but it can happen in a race when you rush it. Not sure what type of flat you would call that.

I'm not totally pro tubular and anti clincher. But there seems to be a lot of urban myths about tubs however. I've had dramas in races with clinchers, I haven't with tubs. And I like the fact that if I flat multiple times and am out of tyres I can still finish.
Last edited by: zedzded: Apr 5, 21 15:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'm referring to when the tube gets trapped between the rim and tyre when you change it. You inflate it and it pops. Obviously if you take your time this won't happen, but it can happen in a race when you rush it. Not sure what type of flat you would call that".

Installation error.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Another advantage if with some tubs you can ride flat at a decent pace. No way with Corsa Speeds, but my Conti Comps you can ride when completely flat. Luckily I've not tested this, but overtook a guy in IMWA, I could hear his rear making a funny noise and as I passed him could see his rear was completely flat. It was a Conti Comp. Had a chat with him and he'd had 2 flats and was all out of tyres, had been riding at 30km/hr for 40km with a flat. It would have been race over with a clincher. He was cooked though and had to run/walk the marathon.
I won a bike race after riding several miles on a flat tubular.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders won on Turbo Cotton clinchers. [gbtrinride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gbtrinride wrote:
Thanks for ruining my day

I think ST needs a 3 day moratorium on spoilers in the headlines. I stay off of twitter and FB because most of my feeds are cycli g related. ST is where I can count on a safe perusal of the internets until I know the winner (unless I care to open the threads marked spoiler).
Quote Reply

Prev Next