Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fizik Tritone Carriage Kit 'Material failure'
Quote | Reply
Went out for a long ride today; and noticed after around 40km that I was missing a bottle. The right side of the Fizik Triton Carriage Kit simply snapped off. Had an X-Lab Gorilla Cage with a 750ml Camelbak Bottle attached to it!

Has anybody else had that happen? Any suggestion, or was it simply a fluke, or a bad part! Attached picture of the snap off! Left side is still attached![/img]

On the plus side I finished the ride at 165km! :)

My Blog - My Tweets - My Strava
My Bikes - CF SLX, 622SLX, O-1.0, AL9.0, 4.3Disc, Slice BI, C60
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Tritone Carriage Kit 'Material failure' [alexneum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have this saddle. I have not had the bracket break, but I have had those screws break, which is very annoying. That being said, I have lost about 5 bottles because nothing seems to stay in the cages because those screws loosen up and cause the bracket to bounce up and down.

I have yet to use/find a rear bottle holder that I have liked... I was hoping this would have been it..
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Tritone Carriage Kit 'Material failure' [yorkcb7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have not had any screws go loose yet! And the saddle with the carriage kit has about 500km on it, including one 70.3 and seemed to be pretty good until now! Bac to the drawing board I think for me in regards to carrying nutrition!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
better off without it, aerodynamically
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexneum wrote:
Went out for a long ride today; and noticed after around 40km that I was missing a bottle. The right side of the Fizik Triton Carriage Kit simply snapped off. Had an X-Lab Gorilla Cage with a 750ml Camelbak Bottle attached to it!

Has anybody else had that happen? Any suggestion, or was it simply a fluke, or a bad part! Attached picture of the snap off! Left side is still attached![/img]

On the plus side I finished the ride at 165km! :)

From an engineering perspective, it looks poorly designed. The preload on the flat head cap screw will exacerbate any crack propagation that occurs at the rear hole (which is the one that gets all the bending stress when you pull bottles out), and the conical hole creates an unnecessary stress concentration. A smaller hole with a socket head cap screw (and possibly a washer) would have produced a stronger part.

No idea to what extent they designed the part for a particular load cycle. IME these types of parts typically aren't highly tested.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the same setup with Gorilla Cages. No ejections or failures, no lose screws. been happier with this setup than my XLab.
Crazy that bracket broke, would expect the bottle cage to break off before a metal bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Tritone Carriage Kit 'Material failure' [eclouis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the setup as well, much better than xlab ones. At least I prefer it! But breaking off is not really useful. Have replaced part, and did 80km ride yesterday, and no problem! Will see how it fares over the next two weeks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, Mine just broke off! I really don't like using rear bottle holders... But I guess they are good for training...

How did you get replacement parts?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yorkcb7 wrote:
So, Mine just broke off! I really don't like using rear bottle holders... But I guess they are good for training...

How did you get replacement parts?!

Due to the poor design, I'd recommend placing a loose zip tie between the cage and the red bracket. That way if the black bracket brakes, the bottle/cage at least stay with the bike.

I'd assume at some point Fizik will make a new bracket with thicker steel to increase strength and minimize stress concentrations, but for now, just know that the part is inherently weak. From the looks of it, it's the bending (pulling out bottles in an up-and-right motion vs. straight out) that fatigues the part.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Tritone Carriage Kit 'Material failure' [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got this, and it is the best option, two bottles, I can get my CO2 cartridge and adapter in there and a tube under the seat with only (1) addtional zip tie. Nothing's ever loosened or broken off at this point and I've logged some miles. You're not hitting it when you throw your leg over right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the saddle.. had the sorta same problem. I had to get new screws, washers and bolts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that it broke off at yours as well.

I originally had a second seat on my wattbike for training, so I had a spare set of brackets. Am still waiting to hear back from Fizik in regards to warranty and replacement parts!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexneum wrote:
Sorry to hear that it broke off at yours as well.

I originally had a second seat on my wattbike for training, so I had a spare set of brackets. Am still waiting to hear back from Fizik in regards to warranty and replacement parts!

HI alexneum,

I have just experienced the exact same thing with my Tritone saddle after a regular 90 km.. Broken at the exact same spot..

How was your outcome here? Have you heard anything from Fizik?[/img]

I don't have a replacement kit to change over so really in trouble with my IM this weekend :(

Looking forward to hear any progress from you as I am now awaiting Chainreaction to come back to me.

Really need a replacement bracket fast - so hope they can send me a new one asap..

Cheers
Last edited by: Mamo: Jun 15, 14 14:26
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Tritone Carriage Kit 'Material failure' [Mamo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What tool did you guys use to remove the screws? I can't seem to get a standard screwdriver or allen wrenches to work.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Tritone Carriage Kit 'Material failure' [dukolbe!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dukolbe! wrote:
What tool did you guys use to remove the screws? I can't seem to get a standard screwdriver or allen wrenches to work.
Thanks.

What you need is a Torx..
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Tritone Carriage Kit 'Material failure' [Mamo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw this thread... during my IM back in December I lost a waterbottle since one of the screw popped out. I didn't loose the bracket... but I did loose the screw and bottle. Threadlock next time!

Quote | Reply
Yes I've lost several brackets. Seems to last maybe 300miles or so and then breaks right off. Had my shop contact them and they sent replacement
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Tritone Carriage Kit 'Material failure' [jsamples53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

can send the contact or bike shop to order the brackets? (webpage, email or Facebook)

Thanks.-
Last edited by: bandrademx: May 20, 15 16:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
had the same exact thing happen to me those things are made like crap, and I'm already seeing the second set fracturing in the similar place. also those screws get loose all the time! love the saddle hate how unreliable the carriage kit is....

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same setup, and have loose screws after EVERY ride. Have tired locktight etc. I love the saddle, but hate the poorly designed integrated setup. They should have put a little more thought into the design.
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Tritone Carriage Kit 'Material failure' [bandrademx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does anyone know if you can purchase it separately from the saddle

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Tritone Carriage Kit 'Material failure' [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine just broke yesterday. Wrote to Fizik but the response was an Out of Office until the day after my next IM.

I tried to attach an X-Lab 200 but the rear of the Tritone is so long due to the integrated bottle carrier kit than a standard seat clamp system cannot reach (bottle cage would sit under the end of the saddle). Has anyone found a way to use something else than the original kit?

I also looked around for some spares (not that I'd really trust it) but found nothing. Basically that means this is a dead saddle for anything above standard distance which is a pity for a saddle meant for long distance.

Since Fizik is a "no response" before next race, no spares available, and no standard system fits I've just had to order an emergency (non-Fizik) saddle for my next IM. Gutted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Mine broke in the same spot. I had bought mine at a local performance bike so they just swapped it out on the spot. I was ridding down some coble stone at the time that it popped off. I have a small 100 yd stretch at the start of my usual ride that I take slowly. The rest of the ride is very smooth.

Last edited by: phenious: Aug 10, 15 4:35
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Tritone Carriage Kit 'Material failure' [phenious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine also broke at that same point on the bracket back in June of 2014 while training for IMWI. I emailed Fizik and after 10 days they replied and said they would send me replacement brackets no questions asked. I swapped out the broken piece with the new one from Fizik but after another couple weeks of training it broke again. Instead of reaching back out to Fizik a 2nd time, I went out and bought an X-Lab Wing to attach my cages to. I love my Tritone, and having it's own built in rear carrier system was definitely one of the reasons I looked at this as a seat option in the first place. I couldn't run the risk of having it break on me during IM and loose my hydration/nutrition. I haven't had an issue with the X-Lab Wing or cages since. The folks at Selle Royal were great btw. Contact information of the service rep who helped me is below.

Renata Bucco
Selle Royal SpA
Customer Service
t +39 0444 46 11 10
renata.bucco@selleroyal.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fizik Tritone Carriage Kit 'Material failure' [robinson3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the details, but just for anyone else - I got an out of office reply from Renata Bucco until Aug 24th.

robinson3 - that X-Lab Wing, which version? I tried a Delta 200 last night and it's not reaching far enough out to pass the cage beyond the end of the seat.
Quote Reply

Prev Next