Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fit guidelines for 75 degrees?
Quote | Reply
In a recent thread covering Hellriegel's (and other pros') equipment use, a consensus emerged that use of "mid range" seat angles around the 75/76 degree level was expanding. Using road geometry with a slid-forward saddle and / or a straight seatpost is tending to be an attractive half-way-house to a full-blown tri position.

Most of the fit guidelines here and elsewhere tend to be directed to either the pure road or pure tri position with their associated axioms regarding knee/ pedal / BB / elbow / ear / stem / shortie / full aero bar relationships & options.

Whilst this whole game is one of compromise and finding out "what works for you", has anyone developed any guidelines on how to make this mid-range work for them? I suspect there is a huge raft of people operating in this middle ground. Cheers.

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses—behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights"
Quote Reply
Re: Fit guidelines for 75 degrees? [Fizzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ran 75/76 degrees on a Giant TCR-1 and felt that it worked very well, in fact better on some hilly courses than at 78 degrees on a tri bike.

Basically I would set the bike fit up properly as a road bike first. In this position I found my most comfort with the handlebars raised 1 1/2 cm or so. When shifting the seat forward to the approx 75 degree seat angle all I did was drop the handlebars to the lowest allowable position, thus effectively having the same effect as lengthening the top tube. To estimate your approx seat angle, Dan has drawn a nifty chart on his bike fit section. It shows how you, when knowing your proper seat height, drop a plumbline from the front of the saddle and by measuring the distance from the bottom braket can estimate your seat angle. All you have to do is adjust the seat fore/aft accordingly..

I ran Syntace C2 Ultralite aero bars. When in the road position I just griped them short just behind the grips. This way they acted as shorty aero bars, such as the "big slam" or Profile Jammer GT's that I had on my other road bike. This way I wasn't extended in a road position. When I shifted the seat forward for 75/76 degrees I could then grab the aero bars on the grips as my body was now a bit more forward.

The way to set this up now IMO, is with an M2 Racer power module seat racer. A very easy adjustment and you can shift the seat foreward/aft in a few seconds without dickering with a Allen wrench. A great investment for only forty bucks.

This all woked fine for me. At 75/76 the TCR-1 felt quite balanced, much like as in the road position. This was entirely different with this bike when at 78 degrees using Profile froward seat post. That way really felt squirely.

Dan's nifty chart can be found http://www.slowtwitch.com/...techctr/bikefit.html
Quote Reply