Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fit again.
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I am going fishing here. Of those who claim that they have received " a bad fitting" somewhere, please elaborate on exactly what you describe as bad. I seem to remember somewhere, this forum possibly, probably Tom's post, that fit changes with fitness level. Or rather the more limber/conditioned you are the more aggressive a position you would seek. I have been racing for a while about 13 years, working in retail bicycle sales the same ammount of time, and selling quite a few bikes. Tri bike fitting seems to have come to the forefront lately. I remember when QR put out a video tape that explainded tri bike fitting. I need to find it and review it. Anyway, I really see no exact consensus to how a tri-bike should fit.

I ride a forward angle seatpost on a road frame and have good results. Most of what I have sold over the years has been entry level bikes that we have tweaked/fit for triathlon racing. I have yet to hear of an unhappy customer that did not like our "fit". We do stock the following tri specific bikes, Felt s22,s33, Cervelo P2k,and Cannondale. Maybe it is just our market, but trispecific bikes do not move like road bikes.

I am now very interested in the fist classes and tapping the knowledge of the industry's leaders.

Anyway, if someone feels like they get a bad fit, why do they not go back to where they bought their "fit" and ask for a refund? Because, this is why, their body changes, and their fit needs to change. But, they paid good money for that "fit" and it makes them upset.

I feel fitting someone is a dynamic process which involves a good working relationship with your local bicycle shop. Your shop can help you decide what is the most comfortable and fastest set-up. I know I like someone to make things simple sometimes and tell me how to do xyz, but sometimes I have to just figure it out myself.

So, in closing, sorry for the ramble, but I am figuring out myself that I need to hear from more people about what they considered a good and bad fit. Was it good because you went faster, or were more comfortable, or because it re-affirmed how you had set your bike up yourself? Or, was it bad because it involved $, made you slower, or was not as comfortable, or did you not achieve the results in the next season you were shooting for?

Thanks for your time.

Shawn Spencer

"Nothing in life ever just happens. Calculated progression insures your strength."
Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
http://www.bikecycleshop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fit again. [Shawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree a FIT would be to tune in the position with adjustments through the season as flexibility etc. changes.
Also I still don't know why everyone says that a road bike is more comfortable than a tri bike. Now if you're VERY low in front for a time trial or maybe a sprint tri then that may not be as comfortable but i think comfort should be important in any fit. Most tri set ups for someone with average flexibility should be very comfortable. At anything longer than a sprint this would be of major importance in order to stay in the aero position. I would ride my tri bike anytime I love it, the position is perfect and I'm much faster than on my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess to me, fit comes down to two things. The first thing is whether or not a bike can accomodate my unique geometry. This seems like the area where bike shops have the most responsibility, because a lot of people, especially new to the sport, don't have any idea what is going on. I know several stores that would sell a bike based only on inseam or height and what bikes they had in stock. Then there are others that spend a lot of time measuring different parts of the body, and taking riding styles into account. I don't care how a store does things, but the bike I'm shelling out 1000+ duckets on better fit me. I don't want to get on some chat room two months later, or go to a group ride, and find out the bike doesn't fit me, and no amount of positioning will help that. Personally, I won't even consider going back to a store that has no clue about bike fit, and I would not give any positive endorsements of that store.

The second item is positioning, and seems largely dependent on fit to me. If the bike is the proper size, then I can be positioned on it. This is a lot more subtle, and there's probably a lot more opinions on what is the best for different situations. And it seems that there is some personal preference on the riders part here. The only thing I require of a shop is to give me sound advice, to the best of their knowledge, and to make sure I'm not going to hurt my knees because my saddle or cleats are in the wrong spot. I may or may not go back to the same store for positioning depending on what else is available around me. Maybe there is someone who has a great reputation for positioning, so I go to him. Seems like John Cobb and associates do a lot of positioning for people who currently own bikes. So what I'm saying is, maybe I buy a bike that fits from a store, but I think there is someone else more knowledgeable to position me, so I go to them. I'd measure this experience by speed, comfort, and performance coming off the bike, but this takes a lot more time to evaluate, and may change.

So, I've never had a bad fitting, but I have had bad experiences while trying to purchase bikes. So this is my expectations as a relatively new cyclist (less than a year).

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shawn, I think you are right on the money here. My opinion is fit is dynamic. Not everyone can acheive an optimal, advanced, performance oriented position on the first try. Many people have to work into a performance-oriented position. I'm not a salesmanfor Dan, but you should come out here to FIST. We have all learned a lot here, and Dan invented the way we're positioning people now. One thing for sure, it sounds like you are very aware of the significance of fit and doing a good job for your guys and girls. Hats off for fighting the good fight.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fit again. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm certainly no expert, but are we talking about two different things here? I kind of like the idea of breaking it down into fit and positioning. My LBS is road oriented but I feel confident they can take measurements, put me on the correct size frame and put components on that frame that fit my body and will not ruin my knees. I have no confidence in their ability to help me with things like aerodynamics. I'm not sure about their ability to come up with a comfortable, powerful position on a steep angle bike. The best I can do for now is learn what I can on my own and at some point decide to drive a few hours to Shreveport for a "positioning" session.

Am I completely off base here? (Affirmative answers won't hurt my feelings)
Quote Reply
Re: Fit again. [BillT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My LBS is road oriented"

I know a fella who bought a secondhand P2K. He doesn't know much about bikes and this is his first tri bike. I offered to help set him up on it. I don't claim to be an expert, but felt confident that I could get him into the ball park.

One of the guys in our roadie group convinced him instead to take the bike for a professional fitting and suggested a high end roadie shop three hours away in Toronto. He took it to them and brought it back set up at 74 degrees with road bars and STI!!!
Quote Reply