Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fit advice Cervelo P5
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys

I'm 6ft 3 with long legs and I'm struggling to get comfortable on this 58cm p5. The fit looked reasonable on the turbo but put on the road after about 45 mins my arms and shoulders were giving me major jip.

I'd guess I'm at about the limit for this size frame . It's a p5 3 with vision metron tfa bars fitted. These offer stacks of adjustability but I worry the frames too small.

Can't get tiny pic to work so I'm not sure how to embed a short video. Managed to upload one to drop box

https://www.dropbox.com/..._212647_1_1.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by: Topper007: Jun 27, 19 12:29
Quote Reply
Re: Fit advice Cervelo P5 [Topper007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should post a video or pictures.

You could try widening the arm pads and/or angling the extensions upward a bit. The problem for you is the P5 cockpit has very limited adjustability. The extensions can't be angled and the arm pad range is limited.

Tommy Johnson
Sport Speed Lab
FIST fitter / Retul fitter
USA Triathlon Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Fit advice Cervelo P5 [tommyjohnson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Luckily I don't have the stock bars. I fitted a set of Vision TFA snakebite bars. Loads of adjustability but not sure I bought the right frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a fitter. But you seem to be bouncing in the saddle a lot. It seems like there is sort of a hop in your pedal stroke which isn't very smooth. I wonder if your front end is too low or you lack sufficient hip mobility to ride with your back so flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit advice Cervelo P5 [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that, a definite rocking / reaching for the bottom of the pedal stroke. Dropped the seat slightly for the tt where the photo was taken but not sure what to do with the front end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My saddle was light-years too high but my pedal stroke was still pretty smooth. I was just hyper-extending my foot/ankle to compensate.

(edit, adding) When I watch your video in slow motion, it actually looks like you're lifting your pelvis at the top of your pedal stroke (not reaching at the bottom). It looks like you don't have enough hip mobility to get over the top of the pedal stroke. You don't provide a front view so it's hard to tell, but it also kind of looks like your knee is bowing out slightly also due to hip restriction. (end edit)

Try putting a pillow or some folded washcloths on top of your pads to get your back a little higher and open up your hip angle and see if it goes away with some before/after video. If it doesn't help, nothing lost and you can ignore me. Maybe shorter cranks would help too, but that introduces a whole bunch of other changes down the chain.

All that said: I truly probably have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to bike fit, but just looking at your bio mechanics as a layman it seems like something isn't optimal.
Last edited by: wintershade: Jun 27, 19 13:16
Quote Reply
Re: Fit advice Cervelo P5 [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've looked at shorter cranks. I can see the logic behind it in getting over the top.

This is another video taken tonight. Still a bit of rocking.

https://www.dropbox.com/...27_211436_1.mp4?dl=0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you know what we need here? a specific thread, curated by one of the world's educated, informed, bike fitters, implicitly trained on cervelo's new P5 and P3X (as well as existing tri bikes).

but that'll probably never happen here! ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Fit advice Cervelo P5 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't sure it would apply to me. I already have the frame and dont have the standard aduro bars.

My fit advice isn't really directed at a cervelo bikefitter solely , I could be on any frame.

That being said Erics advice has been really useful in the past, if he has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle still high based on ankling action - you're protecting the knee angle
extensions wrong for you but that's less vital
Shorter cranks are unlikely to make a big difference given your height, but would be worth looking at in a proper fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like you you lift weights so you may lack shoulder flexibility. Try widening the arm pads as someone else suggested in this thread.

http://www.verynooty.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Topper007 wrote:
Loads of adjustability but not sure I bought the right frame.

I would have put you on a 61...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Fit advice Cervelo P5 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I think you're right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL, sorry!

There's a hack you can do to get more reach using Zipp Vuka Wing alloy extenders diagonally.

Topper007 wrote:
Unfortunately I think you're right.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Jun 29, 19 10:37
Quote Reply
Re: Fit advice Cervelo P5 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will look into thanks
Quote Reply