Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fit Rules of Thumb
Quote | Reply
A couple of times recently, the fit "rule of thumb" regarding the outstretched arm from saddle tip being an inch or so away from the bars has been mentioned, which seemed to work for many people.

Another one I've heard is that when you're on the hoods (I guess road bike, then...) the handlebar should obscure the front hub.

Is there any rationale behind this, is it tield to slack seat angles and fails as you move steeper, or is it a meaningless old wive's tale? I ride around 75deg, and seem to be more forward of my bars than this rule suggests.

(I can see Tom rolling his eyes already...!)

Thanks, Phil / UK

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses—behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights"
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Rules of Thumb [Fizzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An old Italian guy told me these rules of thumb years ago. They are designed for a road bike. I've set up my road bikes doing all the measurements scientifically and guess what - these rules apply perfectly for me. Go figure.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Rules of Thumb [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cerveloguy-Do you have a place on the web that gives you the correct way to set up your road bike? I am in the process of doing this now, and thought I would read up a little on it.

Thanks!!

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Rules of Thumb [Vita-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeff, here's a couple of good ones for starters. Once you've got it set up try the "rules of thumb" and see how close you are. I'm smack on with themafter setting up scientifically.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/BikeFit/index.cfm

http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Rules of Thumb [Fizzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Fizzy, yup, I am kind of rolling my eyes. Sometime's these "rules of thumb" or "wives tales" do work though, but not all the time. Here's my favorite: Measure the circumference of your head in cm. Now, subtract the length of your index finger. Boom. Isn't that amazing? IT's your frame size! How does that work? It works with almost everyone but has nothing to with actually fitting a person. It is a good party joke though- albeit at a pretty boring party. You know my answer: Nothing beats a good set of measurements. It is worth discussing thoough, so good post I think, FWIW.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Rules of Thumb [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, I just tried it. Doesn't work for me because it had me riding a 52 cm frame when I actually should ride a 54 cm(54.47 cm actually using the LeMond frame size formula).
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Rules of Thumb [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darn, we size everyone that way. Good thing I got this book deal... :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply