Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fit Question- Sizing a base bar, Tom, others?
Quote | Reply
Trying to determine the proper width for a base bar (cow horn bar). What is the best method for determing the proper width? I found an old Bicyling article that recommends measuring the distance between the bony bumps on your shoulders and using this as your road bar width. Is this my best bet? For me, that measurement is only 38cm, but I wouldn't call my shoulders small. I don't think they even make base bars that small. I think my last bar was 42cm and probably too wide. Is there a better measurement to take?

sweet
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Question- Sizing a base bar, Tom, others? [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We do measure the shoulders and use that measurement along with an observation of how the person fits on those base bars once the bike is built. My guess is you should be using 40s, but that is only a guess. Having said that there is an element of personal preference there. I prefer slightly wider base bars for better leverage climbing- but even with that I go back and forth. Regardless, although it is an important measurement it is not a critical one. Some personal preference is appropriate.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read somewhere that there is a tendency for triathletes to ride wide while roadies doing TT's prefer to ride narrow. It makes sense to me to try and keep your road bars and cowhorns as close to the same size as possible for familiarity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think wide would be the way to go - as Tom said, better climbing leverage. You would not be out on the grips too much, and the additional frontal area is negligible. More than other things I think of this as personal preference.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply