Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Tri Bike for a big guy
Quote | Reply
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have searched but, couldn’t find anything recent or relevant to my question but, maybe my search words were poorly chosen. I am shopping for my first Tri bike. I’ve been racing for almost a year now using my road bike (sprints & Oly’s) and am ready to upgrade for my A race (Santa Cruz 70.3). I got a bike fit done and have narrowed my choices down, based on fit and budget, to the Cervelo P-series 105, Quintana Roo PRFour or PRFive rim (on sale) and Felt IA advanced 105. I’ve test rode all three and I thought I was a Cervelo guy however, I am a big guy at 6’, 235 lbs. so weight limits are a concern. Apparently, the Cervelo weight limit is only 200 lbs. The PR does not put a limit on the frame but, the entry level wheels are rated at 200 lbs. and the Felt is rated at 275. Any other big guys out there ride a Cervelo or PR? Am I a Felt rider by default until I lose more weight?
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Bike for a big guy [Pedalz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are your fit numbers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
/\
This is the right question and next is that you can change the wheels on the PR’s for a better wheel set and i can assure you the wheels in the Felt IA 105 aren’t that good either.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what I could find on max rider weights for frames (road & tri):

Trek: 275
Specialized: 250
Cervelo: None Listed
Felt: 275

Those are for the frames. For wheels you'll want nicer stuff than the heavy training wheels that usually come stock. Get some HEDs with the Stallion Build ( https://mybikeshop.com/...REAQYASABEgKRbfD_BwE ) and you'll be well set.

Zipp (and probably others) also make higher spoke builds for heavier riders.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pedalz wrote:
Apparently, the Cervelo weight limit is only 200 lbs. [\quote]

Where did you hear this? I’m not nearly as heavy as you but hang between 190-210 and have never heard this from any fitter who has fit me in multiple Cervelos.
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Bike for a big guy [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I apologize. I typed in the wrong weight. According to the page 40 in the general manual all bikes are rated at a max weight of 220.5 lbs. I thought it was 200 lbs. Not as bad as I thought.
https://www.cervelo.com/...m_v15_013020_web.pdf
Quote Reply