Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Tri Bike
Quote | Reply
I am in the market for my first triathlon bike and the LBS has the following bikes on sale all of which are new but older models. I understand the fit is the most important component to a tri bike but was curious about the options below? I am leaning towards the BMC as the components are superior over the other two options but would like some context about the bikes. I appreciate the help

· 2015 Felt B14 (New) - $1760
· 2015 BMC TM02 Ultegra (New)- $2000
· 2017 Cervelo P2 105 (New) - $2240

Thank You
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Bike [Titan12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The P2 is probably the fastest option once you upgrade a few things (bar swap, brake cable routing, etc....).

IIRC the BMC is the older style frame? If its the new style, then it has some features that could push in its favour.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The TMO2 is a great bike. The 2015 is the older model and rear breaks are a bit difficult to adjust but if you are not swapping wheels its not a big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto above. Between those bikes at those prices, the P2 is a no-brainer. To JH's point, the P2 cockpit has atrocious cable routing and is generally un-fast. However, it is pretty easy to upgrade components over time to get to a very fast bike. If budget is a major factor, and the P2 is a stretch spend, then I would get the B14 as the next-tier no-brainer option. The B14 has great components and a very good cockpit, so it competes well for speed with the P2.
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Bike [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would spring for the Felt IA 16 or maybe a deal on the IA14 from last year.

I ended up with the 14 after looking at pretty much the bikes you listed. Do not regret it at all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a cheap skate and a value hunter so I'd go with the Felt. Did a similar thing a few years ago. An older model Felt B10 and it came with 50mm wheels brand new with stickers still on it. It was also 10speed. There won't be a huge difference between Ultegra and 105 except the price. The P2 likely test faster in the wind tunnel but I'm not sure it test $500 faster. You could buy the Felt and probably a coupe upgrades to make it surly faster than the P2 and still spend less.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a '15 TM02 Ultegra and I love it. It's fast, stiff, and I personally think it's a great looking bike (especially with deep wheels). Ultimately I chose it because it fit me best and gave me the biggest range of fit adjustment, which in turn means I can stay aero comfortably for longer, which in theory means I ride faster. I would base your decision on whichever one fits you best, as that's likely more important than a couple watts in a wind tunnel test.

As someone mentioned, the rear brake is a PITA to adjust, but that was only an issue when I put on new wheels. Also there are no top tube bosses or integrated storage like the new Time Machine. Those are my only two complaints through 3 years of owning the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We must live in the same area (Southeast Michigan?) because I just had the same choices. Ultimately I went with the Felt B14 (just brought it home yesterday!). For $500 less than the P2, it just seemed like the best value. Even at $1760 I had a lot of trouble with the idea of paying that much just for a bike that will make me a little faster and potentially get me an AG award (it's not like it will improve my fitness or anything). Since I will never make money doing this sport, I look for the best value.

One edit though, I was told the B14 was the 2017 model, not 2015 (as it said online). But to be honest I do not see much of a difference between the two years models.

Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.
Quote Reply