Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Road Bike
Quote | Reply
I have recently started looking for my first road bike. I finished my first triathlon a few weeks ago using my old mountain bike and that just won't cut it. I'm heading the advice to start with a road bike instead of a tri bike but starting with a road bike probably means that I will be sticking with a road bike for a long time. I am looking at the Giant OCR1/OCR2 and the Felt F80/F70. I have heard good things about these bikes but I am aving trouble finding a LBS with my size.

The Giant dealer I went to only had M frames but they rigged it up so that I could ride it around. Without taking any measurements they told me that I needed a L frame. Giant's website shows that I am borderline between L and XL frame. Can the Giant bikes really be adjusted enough to make up for the big gaps in frame sizes or am I going to be screwed if I end up in between sizes? Anyone know a good fitter in the Houston area that carries Giant?

I also liked the Felt bikes. Was looking for the F65 and was told that they were out of my size. Felt has replaced the F65 with the F70 and it has upgraded components at a cheaper price. Again I went to see the dealer and all they asked was my height and they said I needed a 56 or 58 cm (can't remember which one they told me) and they just happened to have these other two bikes in that size that they could sell me.

I didn't get a good feeling from the Felt dealer so I am leaning towards the Giant. How do I make sure that I get a god fit? What should I be looking for or asking? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: First Road Bike [Lastplace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First get "fit"
Then see what bikes will fit. After being "fit" it eliminated a bunch of bikes. Try not to make the bike fit you but see what bike you fit first..Need to find out your seatube measurement(example:center to center all 58cm are not the same),top tube ect.. Good shopping
Quote Reply