Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Race soon- any race day tips/tricks please
Quote | Reply
So my first race(an oly) is coming up soon. I have only ever done two sprints and they were two years ago. So I am looking for some Race day tips and or tricks. This will also my first race with a wetsuit, so if have any tricks for a quick T1 I am all ears.
This is not my A race so I am wanting to use it to get things nailed down for the rest of the race later on.
BTW, this is my first post, I fear this is the slippery slide to the next level of ST addiction.
Thanks
Ewan
Quote Reply
Re: First Race soon- any race day tips/tricks please [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gavin's top 10 tips, I've learn't the hard way several times on each one :P

1) Nothing new on race day.
2) Nothing new on race day.
3) On race day don't try anything new!
4) Use bodyglide liberaly on any areas that your wet suite might rub, expecially your neck.
5) Take swim cap and goggles off before the bike.
6) Take bike helmet off before the run.
7) Practice your t1 and t2 in your back yard.
8) Less clutter is better in the transition area
9) Make a list of things your need for the race and check them off when you pack them into the car race morning. (I'm a bad traveller :P)
10) If you have not done it in training, don't do it on race day.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breath deeply at the beginning of the swim so you don't hyperventilate.
Quote Reply
Re: First Race soon- any race day tips/tricks please [gavnunns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most important: relax and enjoy yourself; talk with the other competitors - keep loose mentally. Triathlon is FUN!

Pump and check your tires in the TA before the race.

Remember Cicero's famous phrase: Festina lente! ("Make haste slowly") - e.g., in transition, do it once at a measured pace to get it right, rather than hurrying through and needing to do something three times.

Oh, did I mention to HAVE FUN!?!?!? Seriously, have a great time. ST addiction isn't too bad. There is a twelve-step program to treat it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear the FOP is cool, but the BOP is where all the fun is. :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: First Race soon- any race day tips/tricks please [oldslowdoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I just just did my third marathon and that was one of my main goals was to enjoy the day. It seemed to work (got a PB), I wasn't having fun from 32km-35km but you can't be happy all the time in a marathon :-)

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: First Race soon- any race day tips/tricks please [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear it is nice up there, maybe one day.
Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim is typically brutal. Everybody likes to line up at the front/inside of the swim start, and it's like a free-for-all. If you're a good swimmer, line up on the outside. It's probably faster to cover the extra few feet made up from not taking the inside track than it is to be in the slugfest of swimmers. If you're not a good swimmer, stay to the outside and the back and just relax. Be sure to sight often.

And in T2, after you put your shoes on, click your heels together and say "there's no place like the finish line"

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Re: First Race soon- any race day tips/tricks please [mcoker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When does everyone take their wetsuit off? On the way out of the water or wait till you are on the ground or wait till you are at your transition spot?
Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Top of the wetsuit comes off as you exit the water. Run to transition with the top down.

The rest comes off when you get to your bike.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eat a good breakfast. I learned that lesson at St. Anthonys. Ive been doing more long races so I blew off eating thinking I can handle 2 hours no prob. I only had a Gu before the start. Got out on the bike and ran out of gas in the first mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best wetsuit tip? Put Pam cooking spray around your ankles and arms if you have a full wetsuit, this really helps it slide right off. I find that body glide doesn't work as well for me.

For the run and bike: If you are wearing socks, try a little vasoline on the inside of your socks, this will make putting them on easy and if you have a little sand left on your feet from the swim it will make your feet happy.

And make sure to talk to the people around you, it eases your nerves and it's just fun. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tricks: juggling chainsaws on the run, holding my breath for the entire swim, and playing duck, duck, goose on the bike..

Tip: Have fun out there!! And if anything goes wrong (can't get wetsuit off quickly, can't clip into shoes on the bike, ect) remember that you paid for this and its all good. Also, if you go really slow, you can even have a bigger PR next year!!!

Enjoy yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: First Race soon- any race day tips/tricks please [SlayerHatebreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just finished my 2nd oly. As you go up in distance, things change a bit. Nutrition on the bike is more important and pacing is crucial.

1. Depending on how good a swimmer you are, go easier than you think you should for the first 200 and build. You will be in the water for a while

2. On the bike, go easier than you think you can because you still have a 10k and fuel!

3. On the run, relax and get ready for the finish line (make sure you smile for the finish line pic).

Good luck!

Josh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just enjoy yourself... and don't make it so complicated... It doesn't need to be...

It's just a swim bike & run... You don't need to bring everything, but the kitchen sink, to transition area.

Use the KISS principal.
Quote Reply
Re: First Race soon- any race day tips/tricks please [Infinity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, I am really looking forward to the race.

Just curious as to the average calroies and nutrition people are using for an OLY?

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful when working with Body Glide/etc, in my first tri I didn't realize I had it all over my fingers, when I went to adjust my googles about 10 seconds before the start I mucked them up real good, couldn't see jack sh!t.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply