Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks heavy to me.

for the most part I like the direction the are moving, if it said cervelo on it people would be tripping over themselves to buy it.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn3I-oY_HvE

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
snaaijert wrote:
All those cubby holes and I see hydration integration completely ignored.

In reference to this and the lack of integrated hydration on the Omni... I may be "mis-remembering" this but doesn't specialized have a patent on "inside the frame" hydration? As I said I maybe wrong about this.

Yes Spesh have a patent for the bladder in the downtube. I know nothing about patent law but it would shock me if such a patent would blanket the whole frame. Ventum seemed to find a solution (of course, they don't even have a downtube) Perhaps some sleuths can find the patent filing.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:

Yes Spesh have a patent for the bladder in the downtube.

I still don't really understand how they can have that patent when trek did it for he who must not be named before Specialized ever made a carbon TT bike. With my limited knowledge of patent law I have to assume that the patent hasn't been challenged as no-one else cares to try to prove prior art.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure Specialized's litigious nature is a factor in all of this, I seem to (mis)remember that Felt wanted to do something similar with their Felt IA (with such a massive DT it's painfully obvious they should have) but didn't/couldn't. I hadn't heard of Trek's iteration, a bit before I really got into tri's I think. Do you have more info?
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, so ugly.

What's the deal with that huge downtube? In real life it's not fared by the front tyre - it moves around a lot.

All that integration but no hydration?

And once again we need to see a person on board. They're bikes, we ride them.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think it will be introduced and ridden at Kona this year?

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
snaaijert wrote:

Yes Spesh have a patent for the bladder in the downtube.

I still don't really understand how they can have that patent when trek did it for he who must not be named before Specialized ever made a carbon TT bike. With my limited knowledge of patent law I have to assume that the patent hasn't been challenged as no-one else cares to try to prove prior art.

Actually, there's a much better example of prior art in the form of the Cat Cheetah which has been on the market for many years and has an almost identical bladder system. A really bogus patent that has unnecessarily stifled competition in the industry. But presume no one wants to spend the $$ to challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And to think my very first road bike was a Diamondback I purchased at Dick's for about $200. WOW! This is a crazy looking bike!
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"One other thought - I wonder how much discussion they had with WTC on this, if any. You all may recall TJ Tollakson's "storage system" that was disallowed. I would not be sure that this thing is legal for triathlon unless they involved some folks from ITU, WTC, USAT, etc pretty early on. "

TJ's front storage system did not fit inside the size parameters of the USAT rule for such an item on the front of the bike.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Gerard doesn't post on here much anymore, but I seem to recall him saying that they were actually able to beat the Baracchi pretty handily with the P3, so that you didn't really need to be all that crazy to be fast. If anyone else recalls anything along these lines, please correct me or otherwise clarify...

Yea, I think I remember that as well. But you have to remember that at the time they were working with fewer tools and money. I have no idea if one could make the same statement today...with that said, the gains that could be made in aerodynamic advances are getting thinner and thinner.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:

I applaud DB for what they've tried to do here. But it's really not looking like there is much benefit at the yaw angles that matter compared to a 4 year old superbike. And I'd really want to see rider-on data for a bike like this.

Additionally - the choice of Hed bars doesn't help the fit range, so the utility of this bike is rather hampered, no matter how much stuff it can carry.

I wonder if the next Cervelo improved on the P5 to the same degree if everyone would be falling all over themselves that the new model is faster? Also notable that this shows a disc brake bike that's faster than a rim brake bike, heresy as that may be in the ST world.

Also worth noting is this copy from the paper:
Instead of adapting a bike from another purpose, we’re taking a gamble to cater to a relatively small group of racers who are looking for more out of their bikes. We are confident the results will be undeniable.

In other words, they don't plan to sell a lot of these. Seems their target audience is long course triathletes, they generally ride at somewhat slower speeds which gain more benefit from high yaw. Also they ride in more relaxed positions so the fit range and bar also is more appropriate.

Also have to consider that given the "small group" that this is aimed at, this may be a "halo" bike intended to enhance their brand and help drive sales of more conventional models. I wonder if their development costs were kept in check by using a bunch of grad students for a lot of the design, and use of a half scale tunnel which saved costs on prototyping.

Personally, this bike won't make my list to consider for my next bike but I really applaud their out of the box thinking and innovation. Lots of interesting stuff happening, looking to see what might come from Cannondale & Cervelo next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Trimble bikes (circa 1990 or so) back when the USTS was The Circuit, had an internal bladder and some/a small internal storage options. What's old is new again.

Anyway the DB reminds me of an advanced Trimble. The kids on here will need to google Trimble Bikes

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 15, 16 5:02
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I think Trimble bikes (circa 1990 or so) back when the USTS was The Circuit, had an internal bladder and some/a small internal storage options. What's old is new again.

Anyway the DB reminds me of an advanced Trimble. The kids on here will need to google Trimble Bikes

Do you remember how those things sounded when ridden. They sounded like you were riding a big base drum.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

There was one for sale on here a while back.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Classifieds_F2/FS:_1990_Trimble_Aero_Cycles_SN_066_P4455481/

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't they support Captain America himself (Matt Russell (Sp?))
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will be soon I bet. Saw an article not long ago about how they were able to start insourcing some CNC work to make molds and that it would reduce the costs of making carbon rims or something and to "stay tuned". Thinly veiled as CC coming.
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
One other thought - I wonder how much discussion they had with WTC on this, if any. You all may recall TJ Tollakson's "storage system" that was disallowed. I would not be sure that this thing is legal for triathlon unless they involved some folks from ITU, WTC, USAT, etc pretty early on.

TJ's was basically a nosecone/windshield to shield the rider. IMO (and just MO) as long as the bike is making itself more aerodynamic it's fine (that describes the new Diamondback). As soon as parts of the bike exist to shield the rider it's an illegal fairing.

TJ's Nosecone

TJ's mistake there was not integrating the fluid storage into the top of the nosecone fairing with this hands underneath. Then he could have claimed it was an integrated aero water bottle (which is what the Shiv guys are able to claim in the downtube).
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some bits seem good IMO for design progression (frame storage for flat kit/tools I think is brilliant, and disc brakes - HED partnership aside they shouldve slapped a zipp disc disc on there for show). But as a whole package...Yikes it's a little overwhelming.

Good point made before about how the front wheel is often turned so that fair isnt going to perfect a lot of the time..
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am more of a fan of chopper/bobber style than crotch rocket.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
They sounded like you were riding a big base drum.

You say that like it's a bad thing ;-)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 15, 16 5:26
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thing might be a handful coming down from Hawi.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

3 pages until someone hit the nail.....that thing looks like a nightmare in crosswinds.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: First Look: The New Dimondback Andean Bike! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

3 pages until someone hit the nail.....that thing looks like a nightmare in crosswinds.

Unless you're in the lead and drafting off the NBC camera motos and/or lead van.

Poor TriRig got their launch upstaged.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you drop your chain on that puppy(for whatever reason) good luck getting it out with the shielded chainring :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next