Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Crit this weekend - advice/hints?
Quote | Reply
On the advice of my coach, I am taking the plunge and entering my first criterium this weekend - 45min plus 3 laps of a rectangular circuit.

I have a fair bit of experience doing training rides in bunches with roadie friends, and my bike handling skills are (pretty much) ok. All I am worried about is how to best handle it and what to expect.

Talking during the race? Pace to vary? Where is the safest place to ride for a first timer? Should I go conservative and enter the category slightly below my ability to get used to things?

Thanks for your advice.
Quote Reply
Re: First Crit this weekend - advice/hints? [Oz Tri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One pearl of wisdom: Defend your position at the front.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another pearl from a former roadie:

Skip the Crit = Skip the Emergency room.

Crits are a great way to turn triathletes into triathlon spectators.

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Tom. Do everything you can to be in the front row when the proverbial gun goes off. And then stay at the front for at least the first few laps until things settle down.

This, of course, requires important point #2... warm up very well! Crits usually start out fairly fast, and you'll suffer unnecessarily if you're not completely warmed up.

"Should I go conservative and enter the category slightly below my ability to get used to things?"

Assuming you're doing a USCF race, you don't have a choice. Everyone starts at the bottom.
Quote Reply
Re: First Crit this weekend - advice/hints? [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about the USCF side of things - pretty sure that does not apply in Australia? The crit is a local club race where you can turn up and buy a race day licence, pay the fee and enter. Seems pretty easy really.

Was thinking that I could probably stay in the group with the Cat B riders (Cat A - no way!!), but that I would enter the Cat C race so the pace would bea bit less and give me more breathing space.

When I played soccer at a high level as a junior, I used to find that the higher the tournament I was playing in, the less likely injury was because everyone knew more what they were doing. Can the same theory be applied to crit's? ie. the higher you go, the safer the race. Or does the higher speed in the higher Cat make for a smaller margin for error, leading to accidents...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When I played soccer at a high level as a junior, I used to find that the higher the tournament I was playing in, the less likely injury was because everyone knew more what they were doing. Can the same theory be applied to crit's?
The same general rule definitely applies, with the caveat that there are ALWAYS crashes in crits - all the way up to Cat1 and the pro ranks. There are just A LOT more crashes in the lower categories (3/4/5). The level of bike handling skills posessed by the 1/2 racers is truly astounding, and if you race crits long enough your bike handling skills will improve dramatically. Unfortunately, if you race crits long enough you'll also crash - it's just one of those things. My advice would be to avoid crit racing within 6 months of any A race, but other than that just get out there and go for it! Try to stay near the front, but don't be surprised/discouraged if you find yourself off the back 1/2way through the race either. Also, avoid the temptation to break away and TT your way to victory. They will catch you and spit you out the rear. The rest you'll figure out after a few races. :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: First Crit this weekend - advice/hints? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All crits have a flow to them. If the group is moving from right to left you probably don't want to try to go left to right. In corners, the crashers always slide away from the inside of the turn. So use the inside line. If things are breaking up early or the field splits in the first lap or 3 don't be afraid to take off for a lap or two. Don't kill yourself but you can often shed the rest of the field for good. I did a 50person cat 4 crit and by lap 3, 6 of us were 10 feet ahead of the rest of the field. By lap5 we were 15 feet ahead. I took off and that was that. 5 followed and the rest we never saw. Crits require thinking ahead as well as looking ahead. If your staring at the wheel in front of you, your going to miss something and often that means it's pavement time. Don't be afraid of crashing but don't be stupid and take dumb risks either. Stay in the front 5-10 riders or so depending upon size of the field.
If you see someone in front of you who appears to be strong, moves through the field with ease and corners w/out tapping their brakes all the time you might want to get on that wheel and defend your position. Don't lead out of the last corner into a finishing sprint b/c you won't hold them off. Check out any teams and if they have a guy off the front their teammates should soft pedal into and out of corners, opening a gap. Get around them. Crits are tons of fun, even the one I crashed in breaking 2 bones in my wrist and hand.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: First Crit this weekend - advice/hints? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay...this is more my speed!

Tricks...

make certain your legs and arms are shaved....AND put some vaseline or baby oil on them pre-ride, if you crash your road rash will be much less.

Like the others said...stay at the front...always...if you do drop back try to take the shorter lines into the corners as the crashes seem to always slide out to the far line...and you dont want to run into bodies.

DO NOT HIT THE BRAKES in the peloton...this will cause people to run right over you...if you need to slow a bit you can sit up, hang out a leg or use some other means of catching wind to slow...DONT HIT THE BRAKES.

Ride Tubular Tires, with no Integrated headset and 100% Campy equipment....oh...that one is optional...

There are a million more...most of all RELAX! Just relax, it is only a bike race. Relax.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By "defend your position", I take it that refers to holding the wheel in front and/or your chosen line and doing your best not to let the ebb and flow of the race around you take you off that course? How does one do this without physical contact with other riders (or is this part of the game too)?

I will be riding with another triathlete and first time crit racer. I guess there is zero chance of us being able to work together (or even probably see each other!!), right?

Quite excited by this - if not a tad apprehensive...
Quote Reply
Re: First Crit this weekend - advice/hints? [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Least I have the Campy bit down pat...

Shimano.....pah!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just realize that you will probably get yelled and cursed at if you do anything that the roadies deem to be out of line and/or dangerous. Crits are not Tri's. They are not friendly (at first), so don't expect the relaxed non-threatening atmosphere of a triathlon.

That being said, try to participate in the race by trying to chase a breakaway, if you feel good, that is. This will at least make you feel like you were there, and you weren't just PHIL (pack-filler). You might get dropped, you might feel super-relaxed, who knows.

The back half to 2/3 is the place you'll end up if you have trouble keeping your place in the first 15 or so riders. This is also coincidentally the place where most crashes happen. Try and stay near the outside to give yourself an out if you need it.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: First Crit this weekend - advice/hints? [DRAwpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
defending your position may involve: using your elbows to slighlty stick it into another rider who is encroaching upon your personal space. Or placing your hand on another riders hip or side to keep them from coming into you. Or telling them on your right, left, no room for you mate behind this wheel etc.
You might want to keep your hands on the drops or in the hooks instead of on the hoods. You'll have more control over your bike.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I learned it, and Tom Demerly was at the same USOTC camp I was at in '90, so he probably meant the same thing, "defend your position" means hold your place in the top 6-10 riders and avoid getting sucked up and out the back by the "ebb and flow." I think this is what you were referring to, and if it is you are spot on. I always worked hard to corner without losing ANYTHING on the riders around you, this means carrying the momentum of the straightaway into the turn and rarely using the brakes. If I did brake, it came prior to initiating the turn, and NEVER during the turn. Keep riders from squeezing by you in the turns by staying up front and don't panic if someone tries to get by you by hitting your brakes and losing even more positions. Accelerate through the turn, provided you have pedal clearance. Some idiot will inevitably try to dive inside on the field through a turn, so just deal with it by staying relaxed and alert, and not overreacting. Some idiots are usually not the ones who go down in these situations, but the poor sap who gets spooked by it is. Is the C race before the B race, and if so, is there a junior, womens or masters race in between? When we have early season training races here in the states (and this is early season for you guys, isn't it? being upside down and all) there is an A and B race in some formats, and it is usually ok doing both if they are separated by another race (We have a training series here in March where the entire field does this, it is great fun) as long as there is no category restriction (sometimes cat 1/2 cannot race B etc.) It may be that you could do the C race and then decide if you want more you can do the B race (the distance is usually never a problem for a triathlete!). Good Luck, and don't be afraid, and for God's sake, look where you want the bike to go, not at the thing you are trying to avoid. As far as plans and working together with your friend, take stock when you have a few laps to go. The thing that hurts me most since my conversion to trigeek is the accelerations every corner. I don't think about any tricky breakaways or the sprint until I am sure I will be there to see it. I figure I have only 4 or 5 good anaerobic efforts (breaks, attacks, prime sprints) in my legs per race so I use them carefully (lately they are used up by lap 5). You may find yourself in the same boat, so avoid wasting energy pulling the field around and save it for the move that will leave them helpless!

Good Luck!

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Touching another rider in any way is not allowed in road races and criteriums and most riders do not have the skillset to engage in this, so I would not recommend it.

Don't worry so much about defending your position with aggression. Instead, just make a point to expend the necessary effort to stay in the front and RELAX. Another way to think about staying in the front is to consider that the pack is fluid. There will be currents of riders moving in all directions. This is caused by the natural rotation of riders in and out of the lead position, by road and race conditions, and by variable fitness levels. Try to avoid backward currents and slow riders. Take opportunities to move up whenever you have them, because if you just mark one rider and stay on their wheel there is a good chance you will move to the back with them.

A successful first race would be one in which you finished with the main group and did not crash. I'd use this as a learning opportunity and forget about winning and forget about conserving the maximum amount of energy for the final sprint and instead focus on finding a comfortable position in the pack and further developing your pack riding skills.

If you establish a reputation as a strong and steady rider who is not a squirrel and does not cause undue problems for the other guys, the other riders will probably let you move right up to the front in future races.

My final word of advice--- Sometimes new riders treat races like each one is the most important race of their life. They take things personally, ride aggressively, and take risks in cornering. (For example, when the pack is strung out and is taking a wide line through a corner, which is the fastest way through the corner and requires minimal deceleration, they try to move up on the inside of the turn.) Those traits can help you win, but also greatly increase the risk of crashing. Most experienced riders have found that not crashing is more important then winning. If you ride safe and steady races and use your power to stay towards the front, opportunities to win will present themselves without requiring undue risk taking.

Have fun!

-Marc
Quote Reply
Re: First Crit this weekend - advice/hints? [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very well said, be conservative and ready to work (hard). If you start getting "Nascar'd" to the back, go with the flow, and never force anything until you're used to it. You'll have plenty of opportunity to get back to the front, especially in the equivalent of CAT 4/5. I agree with the no touching, at least until you've been out there 15X's plus. Have fun
Quote Reply
Re: First Crit this weekend - advice/hints? [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cat 4/5 races scare me...blood baths sometimes.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: First Crit this weekend - advice/hints? [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've gotten good at doing 25mph time trials and the crits I did this year I got dropped in 20-30 minutes. The anerobic acid filled trip was very tough. I do add a little more variety to my training as your body really gets used to things and the best part of a crit is there is nothing to get used to. Good luck and you will never breath so hard in your life!
Quote Reply
Re: First Crit this weekend - advice/hints? [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to give road racing a shot instead of crits until you get comfortable. Road racing tends to be a lot less squirrely and there are not as many crashes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a Cat. 1 roadie here in the states, and as a result have done a LOT of crits- I'm not that great at them (although I was quite good as a 3...), but I really enjoy them.

My first piece of advice? Stop reading these posts. Pretty scary stuff. Yuck.

Go out and do the lowest cat race the promoter offers, and learn from the experience. Better yet, go and watch a couple of races first. "hold your position" and "be aggressive," "Lean in in the corners," etc. may be great strategies for success in crits, but you really aren't at the point where that type of advice is useful. It's like giving freestyle technique pointers to someone who just got thrown in a pool for the first time.

Go to the race, ride anywhere in the pack that feels comfortable, force yourself to smile anytime you start to drift outside your comfort zone, and above all, remember to have fun. Just ride, man. Who really cares where you finish in your first crit?

Don't worry about crashing. I have gone down 2 or maybe 3 times in crits, and I ride 2 crits a week during the season.

Good luck, and write us another post in a couple of races when some of the more complex advice will be more useful.

MH

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I considered my fitness level to be alright, but in my 1st cat5 race, I was not used to the ebb & flow and got dropped pretty quickly. I suffered mini-devastation. But that was a waste of energy, I just had to try, try, try again. That's key. Things got much better after a few races. Sounds like you're a much better conditioned athlete than I - you'll do great!

Just be ready for bursts of power anywhere between a single pedal stroke. and 60sec.+

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com has a great article on crit racing. Basically, you'll do your best when you spend as much time @ zero power as possible. It's all about conserving the energy.

Have fun!

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Last edited by: powergyoza: Sep 24, 03 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: First Crit this weekend - advice/hints? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oz,
I just read fredly's post and I realize what a dumbass I have been! What the hell was I thinking? Fredly is 100% right (he's a 1 and I am a 2, so that's in his favor too.). All that stuff I wrote is what I think is true based on my experience, but it will be better to copy it and read it after a couple dozen races or so. My coach when I first started racing told me that I had to race as much as possible, at least 2x a weekend, training crit during the week and the track, and then it will take a season to just grasp the basics. I think I raced 8 or 10 times before I freakin' finished with the chase group. I took a while longer before I made the lead group. This is what I should have posted the first time, not the ramble I threw at you.
As fredly so astutely put it, JUST RIDE, MAN. And fredly, sorry if I offended your sensibilities, your post shamed me back to reality, thanks, I appreciate it.
Good Luck

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply