Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
First 30 minutes working with new Hed Aerobar.
Quote | Reply
the first Hed Aerobar has arrived. It is quite impressive. After working with it for a short time we discovered you can use Profile and Syntace forward sections with the Hed Aerobar: We cut the front aerbar sections from a pair of C-2s and finished it off nicely and it slid right in. Why? If you absolutely married to the "feel" of the Syntcae C-2 grip area you don't hve to give it up. With a pipe cutter, a file and some patience and care you have an awesome combo. However, there is realitstacally no reason for this (it was just an interesting observation). As a stock unit the Hed Aerobars are super nice. They're expensive. They're worth it based on our minimal 30 minute exposure. We have not ridden them, we have not completely installed them. We have only assembled them and read the instructions and then played around with them and other aerobars. The next pair goes on my new Yaqui Carbo. More then.......

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: First 30 minutes working with new Hed Aerobar. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they shipped mine last friday, my new bike is being built up with them:

03 Santa Cruz Roadster (white), Easton ec90 fork, king headset, BP aero post, Corima disc, HED3 front - both tubulars, Tufo S3 22mm lites tubulars, Easton EC carbon stem, Zipp cage, HED aerobars, Specialized BG Sworks ti saddle, DA cranks TT rings 54/42 and everything else Dura Ace., 17 lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: First 30 minutes working with new Hed Aerobar. [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After looking at the Hed site today looking for a trispoke axle, i looked at the new Hed bars,they look a lot like a set-up i made eight years ago,wonder if i should sue(just kidding) Randall
Quote Reply
Re: First 30 minutes working with new Hed Aerobar. [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mine ought to be here today or tomorrow. they'll go on my yaqui carbo as well, so there'll be two in the universe.

i want to ask tom about how expensive they really are, tho. yeah, they're not cheap, but what are they? under $500, right? (or maybe i'm wrong). when you consider the price of sub-assemblies--base bar, clip-ons, and (very high caliber) brake levers, what would all this cost otherwise? what would C2 clips, stratos, and space controls cost? probably $250? anyone?

so, really, it's just a $200 or $250 up-charge on what it would cost for fairly simple stuff, unless i've got it figured wrong. compare that to $600 or $700 for a deda and you still have to buy $50 or $70 brake levers for an apples-to-apples comparison.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: First 30 minutes working with new Hed Aerobar. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering there are brake levers and even inner cables they do represent a good value. Also, as viewed from the front, these things nearly disappear. They have got to be pretty aero. As we continue to work with them I am more and more impressed with the wise design and nice workmanship. I'm pretty sure this is the new standard, the new state of the art.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: First 30 minutes working with new Hed Aerobar. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

How would you rate the HED's compared to the Oval's? Are they worth the extra $200, or no? (I already have a set of space controls in my parts bin, so the cost of brake levers is a non-issue). Also, I'm curious about the internal brake cable routing, has that been well integrated into the bar or will it be a pain in the a$$.

So many decisions to make. My Klein comes in soon, so do I go with a clip on or a fancy integrated setup? (Talking to myself again) I really like the Visions, since there's virtually nothing to come loose, and you say I can get them in 1 1/8" but I'm not crazy about the drop to the horns. The Oval's are also interesting, and have a computer mount integrated into the bar. The HED, well, style points matter, so I hope it looks better in person than in the photos.

J.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: First 30 minutes working with new Hed Aerobar. [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I can't tell you anything about the Ovals. I've never seen them. I can speak knowledgably about Vision Tech as I've installed about 10 of them. They are very, very good. I agree about the base bar, cowhorn hand position. If Vision Tech made a version with flat wing base bars (no drop) that would be a winner. As it is, these Hed bars are amazing based on my very superficial, under 3 hour examination of them. The jury is still out........ But these Heds are really nice.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just spoke with Anne and Steve Hed. We bought 6 more sets of their aerobars for the store.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
What about hills [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never seen these aerobars except in pictures. My reaction from the pictures is that the flat grips would be fine for a flat course, but the idea of going down a steep hill on them was not appealing. I really like the turn up at the ends of the handles in the Syntace bars for example, and those upturns are there for a reason. I think I use the upward turn to help keep me back in the saddle when going downhill. I would be afraid that hitting a bump while descending at high speeds might cause the rider's grip to slip right off the ends of the handles. Then again, this Florida boy is no authority on descending.

Now that you have played with them, is there any validity to this concern?
Quote Reply
Re: What about hills [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hve to tell you, based on chatting with Anne and Steve Hed for about 30 minutes and getting some historical background on these aerobars they are optimized for the "Real World" Lance Armstrong had substantial input into their design, and wanted an aerobar that provided EXCELLENT climbing and descending capability. I have not ridden these bars yet- I've had them four hours- but I THINK they will be the best one piece bars on rolling, technical course and equally at home on a flat course. I am looking to use these at Ironman Wisconsin, famous for it's windy, hilly bike course. I'll have a better and more complete opinion when I ride them. I am relating impression now. But my impression was strong enough to buy another $3000 worth of these aerobars for our customers, and another set for myself.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: What about hills [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, thanks for the input. The test for me is whether I can go down the Keene hill at IM Lake Placid on them. Of course that makes the not necessarily valid assumption I can go down that hill on any bicycle at all, but that is another matter. Short, rolling hills don't bother me like long, steep, curving hills. I am sure Lance could go down without any handle bars at all.

Anyway, please report back once you are on the road. I am sure a lot of us would be interested. I have to admit I find that product to be very attractive at first glance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to get "personal" here, but if you can time it to have a set laying around when my Saber gets in...well, you know. These were my first choice but some guy in the back of your shop that looked like an ex-Marine said "We may not see those for a while." :-)

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Last edited by: MattMiz: Feb 6, 03 13:02
Quote Reply
Re: What about hills [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a good tester for this since I don't like to descend much. I'm scared. I'd rather climb anyday. Then again, there are no hills around here except an 8 switchback climb a block from the store called a parking garage....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: What about hills [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got it. I am impressed we got these, I'm very pleased with Steve and Anne. Those guys always come through. I think you'll like these.....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

You've previously stated that you didn't prefer adjustable bars (too much weight/parts to break). How many nuts/bots/etc. are included in the Hed Aerobars? How do they compare to the Syntace Base/C2 combo?

Do they come in varying widths?

Where are the Elbow pads in relation to the C2s? How large are the pad surface areas compared to the C2s?

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: What about hills [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hay Mat what do us ex Marines look like? Tall and strong handsome as a set of Hed bars :) I know it's the hair thing :)
Thanks Dirt
PS Sounds like a nice Bike you are getting.[reply]
Quote Reply
Re: What about hills [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will all be in the review....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: What about hills [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something like that. :) That, and they have this ability to summon the fire in the belly seemingly at will. Two guys during college got actually me into triathlon - one is an ex-Marine (tank commander) and the other is an ex-Ranger, both on the GI Bill at the time. Those guys could go out any given morning, sometimes after being up partying until 2am, and bang out 5 and change miles for an hour straight while I was puking my guts up in the rear. It still amazes me to this day - a constitution like I've never seen.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Re: What about hills [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they are much more adjustable than the C2,s

The arm rests lay flat on the aluminum clamps, lower than I've ever seen before, the brake levers are short and there are actually handle instead of bar ends. Its very nice, internal brake cable routing, I got mine today, very flat and aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Before or after field testing these new bars, what would your comparison to the Profile Carbon X aero bars be? Any experience with the Profile's?

Daniel
Quote Reply
Re: What about hills [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary in SD - are they adjustable in length of reach? or do they come in sizes like syntace c-2's? Also, are you able to turn the ends (where hands grab) inward and/or outward? They look very "kewl!" - I am hoping they are much more than just looks!
Quote Reply
HED vs. Carbon-X [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having played with both last year on bikes belonging to friends, I'd give the nod to the HED bar for ergonomics and probably aerodynamics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an interesting thread to me, because it's come right at the time when I'm surfing aerobar-related sites pretty hard. I'm preparing to build up a tri bike, and have to decide what parts I'm going to hang on it.

For the benefit of anyone who might be in a similar situation, and to make sure I have everything clear in my head, I'll post the information I have. Note that I found some products had different masses listed at different sites.

One-piece aerobars:

HED 850g + stem $495

Oval 885g + stem + brakes $295

VisionTech 1025g + brakes $370

Profile 1000g (750g?) + brakes $350

Two-piece aerobars-- Base bars:

Profile airwing 239g $40

Syntace 250g $60

Ritchey 210 $55

Two-piece aerobars-- aero bars:

Syntace C2 475g (400g?) $115

Profile carbon 548g(495g?) $140

VisionTech 490g $120

Ritchey 625g $100

Brake levers:

Dia-Compe 185g $20

Profile 188g $80?

Syntace 184g $80?

Sooo... if we throw a $50, 150g stem and the dia-compe brakes in as needed, here's what I see:

One piece:

Hed 1000g $550

Oval 1220g $370

VT 1235g $390

Profile 1205 $370

Two-Piece:

Profile 1130 $250

Syntace 1060 $245

Ritchey 1170 $225

I am concerned that I can't walk down to my bike store and get the Hed or the Oval- I like the look of them, and I might even be able to convince myself to spend the money for the oval, but the availability might be the deciding factor for me. Of course I'll be jealous of everyone I see with the Hed's. Sigh.

-Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
[/quote]

You've got to be kidding me. This represents a good VALUE??? I'll give it to you that the Hed bars are sexy as hell, and they're proabaly more aerodynamic than a standard C2 setup. By what time savings are we really talking about? I'd be floored if it were anything significant. (Granted, what is "significant" is a personal thing.) I'm all for spending money on nice things, but to turn around and claim it's a good value is insane. Sounds like someone is trying to rationalize an extravagant purchase. No need to. It's OK to say, "yeah, they're expensive as hell, but they look soooo cool."

I'd offer that the C2s are a much better VALUE.

Hed Aerobar: Price $495.00 Weight 850g

Syntace C2/Stratos/Space Control Brake Levers: Price $260.00 Weight (Med) 845g Weight (Lg) 865g

Syntace setup plus Ti replacement bolts: Price $285.00 Weight (Med) 830g Weight (Lg) 850g

We all know that going to ANY aero bar is a huge time savings. What is the advantage of an uber-aerobar over an std aero bar? (Assuming the Hed is 10 sec faster over a 40K TT, you're paying much more $$ per sec for those 10.) I'm guessing the std aerobar gives much more sec/$$ than the uberbar. Hence greater value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People have been comparing the HED to alot of other bars, but just out of curiosity, how does it compare to the Cinelli Angel? It seems decent in the aero department, good adjustibility, and weight ain't to far off. Also, does the HED come with a stem? Has any one compared them? Just a thought.

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply

Prev Next