Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First-time TT bike sizing (and roll out the dead horse to beat!)
Quote | Reply
(Apologies in advance for the length - I'm wordy.)

So a Google search will lead to plenty of history on this topic on this and other forums going back well over a decade, and the general advice seems to be summarized as thus:

1.) Get a good fit by a pro at a qualified shop.
2.) TT bike size needed will probably be smaller than your road bike fit.

A great many of those asking in posts have typically not studied the geometries in question, and are usually armed only with their road bike frame size (such as 56cm). My stance is actually a bit more specific and detailed, I'd like to think, so let's please take it as a given that I _will_ be involving a professional fitter in making a final choice, and let's skip to dissecting and comparing geometries so I can approach that fit experience armed with some greater understanding. :)

For context, I'm a mid-40s guy who's been racing short-course (sprint and olympic) for nearly a decade, and while not terribly age-group competitive I've continued to improve year-on-year. (This is for justification of my budgetary limits - spending several thousand dollars on a bike will not likely make me competitive.) I'm not commonly proportioned - I stand about 5'6" (168cm), but with a short torso and long arms (35" or 89cm from rotator cuff to fingertips) and legs (32" or 81cm is standover on my bike, barely touching while flat-footed). For what it's worth, weight is just under 125 lbs (less than 57kg).

My current bike is a 1993 Trek 2300 (carbon tubes, aluminum joints - unloaded weight about 11kg), 54cm size, which I rode with drop bars for several years before adding a pair of Profile Design T3+ clip-on aero bars a few years ago. Measuring the bike for geometry like a TT bike, I get the following:

Top tube = 55.9cm
Reach = 38.7cm
Stack = 54.0cm
Seat tube = 54.6cm (c-c), 57.1cm (c-t)

The seat tube and head tube angles I've only estimated from the measured triangles (as I didn't have a protractor, only a t-square), but those I calculate at ~76° (seat) and ~73° (head). I have not measured rake or trail at this point.

The saddle is an ISM Adamo Breakaway split-style, with the top surface of the saddle 14.6cm above the top tube; the armpads on the aero bars are 10.8cm above the top tube, so just a bit lower than the saddle.

I should _also_ note that the aero bars themselves are at the furthest extension point for clamp, and the armpads I've installed forward of the aero bar clamp points by 4.4cm, ands forward of the head tube by 12.7cm. This is in contrast to the majority of clip-on installs I've seen, where the armpads are behind the mount points on the aero bars.

This bike is a fairly good fit when riding on the hoods, but simply seems too short in reach when I'm in aero by a few cm or more - my hands rest at the very ends of the bars, and my weight on the armpads is almost directly over the front wheel hub, making things less stable than I'd like. If I move the fit back (saddle and aero bars) to improve stability, I'm seated too far behind the crank for comfort and power.

At this point, you're likely shouting "WHAT'S YOUR POINT?!" If you've read this far, thank you - I'm getting there.

Looking over most manufacturer sizing guides, my height would suggest I need a small or perhaps a medium frame. Once I start studying the geometries more closely, I see otherwise. For instance, Trek suggests a small or medium frame, and other manufacturers seem to do the same. Looking specifically at geometries, though, Trek's large (42.6cm reach) seems to be the better choice for me, as would, say, Cervelo's size 56 (42.5cm reach), each with an equivalent stack (54cm) to my current ride in aero position. These are sizes that are suggested for riders quite a bit taller than I am, which has me second-guessing my reasoning.

Should I be considering the larger-size frames, or am I completely off in my thinking? I want to have some justification for which direction I go when it comes to frame-shopping, and have some basis for push-back to the fitter when they see I'm the size of the average fifth-grade kid and want to put me on a 51cm frameset. Thoughts?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: First-time TT bike sizing (and roll out the dead horse to beat!) [hiryuu75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The frame that you are riding is WAY too big.

I am 5'6" too and ride a 48cm size frame with a 52.5cm horizontal top tube.
Quote Reply
Re: First-time TT bike sizing (and roll out the dead horse to beat!) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I somewhat anticipated a response along those lines, which is why I included the information I did about my general proportions. I have the arms and legs of a _much_ taller frame, and as such I simply don't fit on small frame bikes. I've tried 52cm road bike frames, and I'm simply too "long" for them on the hoods or the drops. Given the reach of my current bike (38.7cm on a 55.9cm top tube), and how that seems just a bit too short in length, I have to believe I'll have the same issue on a smaller-frame TT bike in aero, as well.

Please take my word for it that (a) I've been fitted on the frame I have, and (b) that it's not too big for me.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: First-time TT bike sizing (and roll out the dead horse to beat!) [hiryuu75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiryuu75 wrote:
I somewhat anticipated a response along those lines, which is why I included the information I did about my general proportions. I have the arms and legs of a _much_ taller frame, and as such I simply don't fit on small frame bikes. I've tried 52cm road bike frames, and I'm simply too "long" for them on the hoods or the drops. Given the reach of my current bike (38.7cm on a 55.9cm top tube), and how that seems just a bit too short in length, I have to believe I'll have the same issue on a smaller-frame TT bike in aero, as well.

Please take my word for it that (a) I've been fitted on the frame I have, and (b) that it's not too big for me.

Scott

What is your ape rating?

Meaning how much longer is your reach than your height?

I’m 6’ tall and my reach is 6’ 6”. I ride a 54 Cervelo after being fitted by 3 different fitters including a FIST fitter.

It feels fantastic I don’t see how you could be any where close to a 54. Who is telling you a 54 Cervelo is the correct frame size for you?
Quote Reply
Re: First-time TT bike sizing (and roll out the dead horse to beat!) [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
What is your ape rating?

Meaning how much longer is your reach than your height?

I’m 6’ tall and my reach is 6’ 6”. I ride a 54 Cervelo after being fitted by 3 different fitters including a FIST fitter.

It feels fantastic I don’t see how you could be any where close to a 54. Who is telling you a 54 Cervelo is the correct frame size for you?

No one as of yet - I'm trying to figure things out prior to seriously shopping for my first TT ride, and seeing a serious discrepancy between the sizing guides' recommendations and what I know of my current ride's geometry.

You and I have similar overreach - I'm 5'6" with a 6" armspan. Likewise, my leg length is a lot closer to what would be found on someone inches taller than I am. I suspect it is my disproportionate build that poses the challenge.

The more I read of sizing, the more I fail to understand the disconnect - everything I read says this current frame should be too large, and I shouldn't consider anything that isn't smaller, but the fit I have on this size feels somewhere between just right and too short in reach. I'm quite ready to concede that the difference in road vs. TT geometry may bridge that disconnect, which is why I posed the question I did. In the end, I'm sure a pro fit will answer the question. I just want to come to that session with a bit more of a clue than I have now.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should get fit on a fit bike first, by a knowledgeable fitter (fist certified). That's a fully adjustable system that allows the fitter to dial you in. Then once the fit is good, the computer can take those fit coordinates and select bikes and cockpits that match.

You should walk away from anywhere that tries to pick the bike BEFORE the fit. That's bass ackwards.

To help make a recommendation on a fitter... Where do you live?

What you need to arm yourself with is understanding the fit process, what to expect from it, and how to choose a good fitter. Lucky for you Dan has a bunch of articles listed over to the right on that exact topic. Read them and heed their advice.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 14, 18 5:14
Quote Reply