Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Finish line bs again! [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That is what I told my wife before my first IM. I coached her about this. I finished arms high alone with my brothers in camaraderie.

Next IM I forgot to mention it. Well, my daughter (age 8) jumps the fence in LP (because she sees others doing it) and runs in with me. I cried. I smiled. I held her hand and she ran in with me. I DID still have my wits about me to look around, keep going after the line, etc. It is now my all time favorite photo in the world. I have it in various places in my offices, etc. I immediately felt bad and ashamed - then sheer joy. I wouldn't take that back for all the world! What makes me most upset was the way that I initially felt ashamed I was running in with her. That sucks, and it is only because of others who have posted things like this. How ridiculous is that?

I'll probably coach them not to do this again, but I'd wager most of the posters who find this activity awful have no children. Yes, there are lines that are crossed (like a double wide stroller stopped under the sign), but playing armchair quaterback watching is easy.

good stuff rod

that is what being an ironman is really about.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But this is the problem - those lines that are crossed, continually. I personally don't care if people want to run across with their kids/spouses/grandfathers/etc. I think it has the potential to be dangerous, but that's another matter.

BUT, and as we can see from the video, this is a big BUT, there are way too many clueless people who stop at the finish line, block other people on the way in, block other people at the line, drop shoes, have the frigging strollers and so on.....and they ruin it for the normal people who are considerate enough to not do that stuff. I don't look upon all of them with scorn - just the inconsiderate dipshits. Doesn't sound like you're one of them.

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So...how about George Bush? Christ? Jahova? Cubs baseball? I know, what position is your mothers favorite...anything but this again...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I can understand how much the photo means to you.

I guess I could actually have my wife act like a third base coach! Decide if it is "safe"...if there's no one within 100 yards of me, go for it. if there is just another family, go for it...send them home.

Given my likely finish time, it probably wouldn't be too crowded!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a wife and two daughters that have both been with me to Kona, IMC, IMFL and IMLP last summer and they know that I am grateful for the support I receive from my family. They also realize that an IM is a race and they will pose for pictures with me after I have finished the race and don't want to be involved in blocking anyone else at the finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So...how about George Bush? Christ? Jahova? Cubs baseball? I know, what position is your mothers favorite...anything but this again... "

I am not sure why you are directing these questions towards me.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Post deleted by runner mann [ In reply to ]
Re: Finish line bs again! [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

BUT, and as we can see from the video, this is a big BUT, there are way too many clueless people who stop at the finish line, block other people on the way in, block other people at the line, drop shoes, have the frigging strollers and so on.....and they ruin it for the normal people who are considerate enough to not do that stuff. I don't look upon all of them with scorn - just the inconsiderate dipshits. Doesn't sound like you're one of them.

I have yet to see someone maimed or injured at the finish line.

Don't overstate what is happening out there. I understand if you don't like it, and I can kind of see your point, but don't make it sound like people are dying out there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so their sacrifices take precedence over the other competitors???

If I ever made it to Kona, and had my one photo of recording the finish for ever ruined by someone dragging their family across the line, I don't think I would be too happy.

Of course you should celebrate with your family, but at the proper time, in the proper place.

Fortitudine vincimus - "By endurance we conquer"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously I've touched a raw nerve with you. Have a nice day too. I guess am I terribly ignorant of the sacrifice my family has made and the next time I race I should remedy the entire situation by grabbing them and proudly running the final 100m of the race with all 3 of them so that I can block you at the finish line and you'll be thankful that I have finally seen the light :)
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]

BUT, and as we can see from the video, this is a big BUT, there are way too many clueless people who stop at the finish line, block other people on the way in, block other people at the line, drop shoes, have the frigging strollers and so on.....and they ruin it for the normal people who are considerate enough to not do that stuff. I don't look upon all of them with scorn - just the inconsiderate dipshits. Doesn't sound like you're one of them. [/reply]

I have yet to see someone maimed or injured at the finish line.

Don't overstate what is happening out there. I understand if you don't like it, and I can kind of see your point, but don't make it sound like people are dying out there.[/reply]

Umm, excuse me, did you actually read my post? Because if you did, I don't see how you managed to turn "inconsiderate" and "ruin it for (others)" and "clueless" into injury and maiming and death. Seems to me someone's a wee bit defensive - lighten up there, Francis.

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [freo73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct, but do you see the irony? YOU are upset (presumably) over having a PHOTO ruined? It is just a photo. Again, I am NOT an advocate of this.

Actually, I find this activity most odd at Kona and in 9-10 hour finishers. I mean, this is obviously NOT their first IM! 15 hour guy/gal at IM Moo? A little different - may never do another IM.

Re: Finish line bs again! [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan, nothing personal. But a picture is just a piece of paper. I rather have my picture in my mind forever!!

Los
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This reply just proves how freakin' ignorant you are. If you were a pro and finishing for the dough, I'd understand your point but as an age grouper, I don't understand the logic. Are those few seconds that valuable?

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sucks that marc harrimans is out there ruining all those finishers races

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are those few seconds that valuable?
No...but the photos are to some.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'll never give up that moment of joy crossing the finish line with my 2 kids, especially for tools like you."

That's pretty harsh, don't you think. I get where you and the others who want to finish with other people are coming from, but the bottom line is that it's not allowed in the rules. I am no rule Na%$, but what you do in the final 100m would get you DQ'd 400m further back on the course! This is something that the race managment has slipped up on and they have now opened a flood-gate that they really can't close. To close it now would lead to a huge back-lash.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some Ironman triathletes feel guilty for the training they do and the time spent away from their families. In order to justify it and to make themselves feel less guilty they have their families cross the finish line with them.

Kids grow up disfunctional thinking, "Daddy and Mommy spend less time with me to do their Ironman training so that I can cross the finish line with them."
Last edited by: runner man: Oct 21, 06 21:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" This reply just proves how freakin' ignorant you are."

Again .... have a nice day. Relax. Watch the streaming video and wish you were there. It is true, that I won't be racing for the cash in Kona, but the issue is not the few seconds I might add to my time, it is the inconsiderate behaviour towards OTHER athletes that this "freakin' ignorant" triathlete is disturbed by. Obviously, by the tone of your replies, you are easily provoked and irritated by what others do and say so you should be able to understand this.
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
To close it now would lead to a huge back-lash.

Fleck
Sweet...that would infer that anyone who was upset that the kids cant finish with em wont sign up! Maybe the races wont close till 60 minutes as opposed to 30!

Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Umm, excuse me, did you actually read my post? Because if you did, I don't see how you managed to turn "inconsiderate" and "ruin it for (others)" and "clueless" into injury and maiming and death. Seems to me someone's a wee bit defensive - lighten up there, Francis.

I think you are making my point for me. Is it really that big of a deal?

Perhaps just to you "normal" people it is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I think you are making my point for me. Is it really that big of a deal?

Perhaps just to you "normal" people it is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is nice to have the finish captured in a photo, especially when the memory gets a bit hazy in a few years!

I do have to admit I have a photo crossing the finish of a 1/2 IM with my fiance - but given the fact that we were both racing, I hope that's OK :)

Fortitudine vincimus - "By endurance we conquer"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" sucks that marc harrimans is out there ruining all those finishers races "

He actually does the whole race and is a remarkable athlete so he obviously deserves to be in the finishers chute. I'm also sure that he has much more control of his racing wheelchair than someone pushing a stroller.
Quote Reply
Re: Finish line bs again! [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! :)

I can so see you wearing that shirt Chip :)

Prev Next