Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Finis Tempo trainer use in the pool
Quote | Reply
I got the Finis Tempo Trainer as I was told it was a good tool to use in the pool.
But I don't really know how to use it ...
Any ideas or workouts I can do with the Trainer ? I usually swim 2300-2500 m (25 m pool) during my 1hr session.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Finis Tempo trainer use in the pool [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may find some info on how to use it on the Swim Smooth website:

https://www.swimsmooth.com/

Possibly have a look at the blog, also some info directly on their web shop page for the product:

https://shop-au.swimsmooth.com/products/finis-tempo-trainer-pro

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the swim smooth folks are big advocates of the tempo trainer. Maybe they have some material for its use?

I've seen a lot of benefit to focusing on increasing stroke rate...I've increased from mid 50spm to low 60spm (for 100s) in the last several months with a corresponding increase in pace. I have a tempo trainer, but I've never used it. Now the battery is dead. :=/

But, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Increased tempo = increased effort = increased intensity... Unless you shorten your stroke. But that would defeat the purpose

Eta: I see Diablo and I posted at the same time. He beat me by a few seconds.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 13, 19 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most use it for the "Red Mist" set - which is a killer. Many variations of it, however its basically:

4 x 400m @ CSS +6 seconds/100m
3 x 400m @ CSS +5 seconds/100m
2 x 400m @ CSS +4 seconds/100m
1 x 400m @ CSS +3 seconds/100m

CSS - is your critical swim speed. You calculate it by swimming a 400m flat out, resting, then swimming a 200m flat out. Punch the time for each swim (400m and 200m) into the CSS calculator and you have your CSS pace.

Or if you are lazy like me, just do 10 x 300m at CSS + 4 seconds and decrease it over time. Its also amazing to use for longer sets. I often set it to 15min/1km pace and complete a few times through.

NOTE: I find it best when you set the beeps to go off every 25m (if swimming a 50m pool). Keeps the pacing tight. For example: 1:30/100m pace in a 50m pool. You would set the beep to go off every 22.5 seconds. Gives you a pace check at the 25m mark and the turn every lap. No hiding.

EMBRACE THE BEEP!

Last edited by: ToddRodd: Jan 13, 19 21:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also do the Swim Smooth workouts with my tempo trainer. Really helps
Quote Reply