Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Finis Axis Buoy splits in half While Swimming, Normal?
Quote | Reply
Wondering if anyone else who has one of these have this happen. I was surprised and disappointed that it happened. I've had & used the typical blue & white buoy that's lasted forever (years). This didn't last all that long. I've found it useful in my (maybe forever) recovering efforts from a tibial plateau fracture & surgery of left knee/leg.

Barb L
Quote Reply
Re: Finis Axis Buoy splits in half While Swimming, Normal? [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarbBikeTechie wrote:
Wondering if anyone else who has one of these have this happen. I was surprised and disappointed that it happened. I've had & used the typical blue & white buoy that's lasted forever (years). This didn't last all that long. I've found it useful in my (maybe forever) recovering efforts from a tibial plateau fracture & surgery of left knee/leg.
Barb L

I have an axis buoy that was given to me; i've only used it twice and did not like it b/c i felt like it made me slower due to the drag created by the yellow foam section between your ankles. Thus it now sits on my closet shelf with other swim gear i bought and didn't really care for. If you've only used it a few times before it split in half, i'd send an email to Finis and maybe they'll send you a new one. Or, you could just go back to using the old fashioned pull buoy. Like you, i've been using the same blue and white PB for about 23 yrs now. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Finis Axis Buoy splits in half While Swimming, Normal? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea they are not for everyone. But given my 25 mm structural hip discrepancy along with my now ruined leg I've found it useful for 1 sided muscle education workouts over the regular buoy which Iv'e used forever and it easier.

I had send finis an e-mail but they never responsed. I sent another one today & they are going to replace it.
Quote Reply
Re: Finis Axis Buoy splits in half While Swimming, Normal? [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eney buoy!!

https://eneybuoy.com

The best buoy ever made, and you can adjust the sides to float at different levels, or just sink the whole thing if you want to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarbBikeTechie wrote:
Yea they are not for everyone. But given my 25 mm structural hip discrepancy along with my now ruined leg I've found it useful for 1 sided muscle education workouts over the regular buoy which Iv'e used forever and it easier.
I had send finis an e-mail but they never responsed. I sent another one today & they are going to replace it.

Well, i'm glad they finally responded and are going to replace it. Is your ruined leg the result of a bike crash or??? Do you think you'll be able to run again??? How long since your surgery???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarbBikeTechie wrote:

i have one of these. actually a TYR version, but same sort of thing. and i would imagine i'd like the FINIS better because the ankle holes in the TYR are too large.

i use this buoy in almost every workout, because it fixes a problem almost ubiquitous in adult onset swimmers, and one i continue to struggle with when i don't use this buoy. take a video of yourself. see if your legs splay during the kick. if so, this buoy's job is to fix that problem.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Finis Axis Buoy splits in half While Swimming, Normal? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This yr is a low point particularly after riding across the country last yr. It's been a real hard reality for someone who has been able to go & do whatever (14 IM finishes including 4 in Kona) and many have had epic adventure on the bike, etc.
I'm giving myself a year to hopefully "get back to normal". Then think about events (except for 1) or what's next. Many working on strength building. Glad I have swimming as one form of exercise I can rely on.

Broke my tibia at the knee on Jan 8. Technically skiing but was a slow speed high energy break at 10:15 am on 1st easy warm up run of the season. I've been skiing confidently for 38 yrs. Then had surgery Jan 17 with hardware & filling in the potholes on top of the tibia. Then 7 weeks in bed. Ugh. That followed with slowly becoming weight bearing. Many days walking around the track with my crutches at 9'/.25 pace. Now down to 19'/mile. Now after relearning how to walk I'm still working at getting down stairs like a normal person. While running is not suggested as I'm told "everyone just gets pain, bad arthritis & then a knee replacement in 10 yrs. I'm working on being able to run at some point in the future once I get walking down. Kobe Bryant & JJ Watts have the same break which is described as a "life changing event."

I thought I'd be ready to go bicycling by June being in as good a shape as I was and how quickly my bone healed. Dr had many are non weight bearing for up to 12 wks. It took until July 25 to get my leg to make it across the pedal stroke clipped in. Yesterday put on a 11-36 rear cassette with my 53/39 something I never thought I'd do. I thought last year using the 11-32 for the cross country ride was a concession. But just not ready.

As one of only 7 people & the only woman who thus far have done all the week long Cycle Oregon Bicycle Rides I'll be there in 2 weeks but only a shell of myself. It's a challenging ride this year with some great climbs. But at least something to look forward to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarbBikeTechie wrote:
This yr is a low point particularly after riding across the country last yr. It's been a real hard reality for someone who has been able to go & do whatever (14 IM finishes including 4 in Kona) and many have had epic adventure on the bike, etc.
I'm giving myself a year to hopefully "get back to normal". Then think about events (except for 1) or what's next. Many working on strength building. Glad I have swimming as one form of exercise I can rely on.

Broke my tibia at the knee on Jan 8. Technically skiing but was a slow speed high energy break at 10:15 am on 1st easy warm up run of the season. I've been skiing confidently for 38 yrs. Then had surgery Jan 17 with hardware & filling in the potholes on top of the tibia. Then 7 weeks in bed. Ugh. That followed with slowly becoming weight bearing. Many days walking around the track with my crutches at 9'/.25 pace. Now down to 19'/mile. Now after relearning how to walk I'm still working at getting down stairs like a normal person. While running is not suggested as I'm told "everyone just gets pain, bad arthritis & then a knee replacement in 10 yrs. I'm working on being able to run at some point in the future once I get walking down. Kobe Bryant & JJ Watts have the same break which is described as a "life changing event."

I thought I'd be ready to go bicycling by June being in as good a shape as I was and how quickly my bone healed. Dr had many are non weight bearing for up to 12 wks. It took until July 25 to get my leg to make it across the pedal stroke clipped in. Yesterday put on a 11-36 rear cassette with my 53/39 something I never thought I'd do. I thought last year using the 11-32 for the cross country ride was a concession. But just not ready.

As one of only 7 people & the only woman who thus far have done all the week long Cycle Oregon Bicycle Rides I'll be there in 2 weeks but only a shell of myself. It's a challenging ride this year with some great climbs. But at least something to look forward to.

Wow, so sorry to hear of your very bad luck in having such a bad break in low speed skiing accident; had you been going 60 mph down a black diamond slope, then the injury might have seemed more plausible. Further, it's amazing you survived riding 3000 miles across the country last year only to have this accident. I guess all we can say is that these things happen sometimes. Looking on bright side, kinda, sorta, at least after the 7 weeks of bed rest, you know you are not over-trained, if that was ever a concern???

Well, i hope you survive the week-long ride with no crashes. :)

Quote Reply