Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Finding the inner motivation
Quote | Reply
Hi There,

I am after some advise from experts here or someone who been through the same mental situation.

Six months back I had a packed week of training, bike, run or a swim. I went on a holiday break for couple of weeks and since I returned in Feb I became another person.

lazy, eating whatever, gained 5 kilos, no motive to wake up in the morning anymore for a ride or a swim and the cycle just continue and I just hate it.

one part is after seeing a doctor in January because of a massive pain everytime I run, the visit concludes that I have an extra bone (navicular) and it iritates some nerves and inflame it later when I run. It needs to be removed which I didn't bother yet to go and look out how and when it can be done.

Also, I never swam in my life but after 6 months of group swimming and three or four one on one coaching session yes I made a progress but I didn't get the technique yet. my breathing causing me to sink and make me the slowest.

I feel I lost the motivation, I was planning to do my first tri this June but I doubt I will ever do one!

how do you approach this state of demotivation and feeling hopeless? I hope that someone been through something similar can give me some tips may not suits me but at least help me to find my own way to go out of this state..

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Finding the inner motivation [Misho_2018] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Finding the inner motivation [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
^^^ this is the best answer you will get
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Motivation is shit. It comes and goes.
Determination and consistency despite the lack of motivation is truly transformative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for a walk every day.
Quote Reply
Re: Finding the inner motivation [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Go for a walk every day.
This. It’s the tip of the “routine” sword.
Quote Reply
Re: Finding the inner motivation [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:
Motivation is shit. It comes and goes.
Determination and consistency despite the lack of motivation is truly transformative.

I like this. My brother was a pro conti cyclist who left the sport after a life altering crash. My father was a professional also who battled testicular cancer recently and cant ride. I am not as talented as they are. I've had long time struggles with serious depression. Sometimes motivation keeps me 100% focused. Sometimes not.

Mostly though I have to remind myself what a privilege it is to operate this sack of bones and flesh. Once I keep that all in mind it's easier to train and perform. Someday this will go away and I'll be damned to let it go to waste. Today and every day are a joy to be alive. I lose sight of that frequently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't force yourself to train for a sport that,for the moment at least,you clearly don't want to do.Maybe try to work on getting yourself out the door regularly on a general fitness program and once you see those results and have established a regular training mindset then revisit the notion of a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Finding the inner motivation [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:

Yes, though I'd add that if you learn to genuinely enjoy the daily process, it doesn't take any determination. It's just "who you are."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echoing what others said, it needs to be a routine, something that's just part of your lifestyle. If you're in a relationship (married or otherwise), then your partner has to buy into the fact that this is going to be a part of your lifestyle, or they WILL sabotage it. Not necessarily intentionally, but just because there are lots of other things to do together.

Also, forget about the outcomes for a while. So what if you're the slowest, so what if you aren't progressing as fast as you'd like. None of that matters, the outcome is just a byproduct of the process. So enjoy the process, and focus on the controllables. e.g. you can control how much you train, your effort level, what time you go to bed, what you eat, time management, and things like that. What you can't control directly is how quickly you progress, so don't let that add to your stress level.

Remember, it's a long game. you literally have a lifetime to get "good" at this stuff. and a lifetime is a long time to spend on something that you don't enjoy.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds almost a bit like "post-race blues". Not uncommon after a big build-up or end of season race. This just takes some planning and patience.

First, injuries take precedent. Make sure you are good to go before starting back up.

Some reflection on how your previous/recent training went, and making a plan of attack on how to do better this season or training block. A great
motivator is staying positive on how you can improve, and not looking at how you might "suck" at something right now. For example, you lift your head a lot when you swim? Commit more swim drill time to lengthen the body and keep your head down and side kicking. Swimming is 90% technique, 10% fitness. When you have thoughtfully drawn up plan, all you have to do is execute it and not contemplate it anymore, and makes something daunting more manageable. Also, how badly do want to do a tri? Admitting and understanding a desire makes us plan more effectively/realistically, and get more enjoyment out of the experience.

Patience. It takes time to get good. There is no overnight success, so if you don't enjoy the journey getting there, then you're gonna be miserable for a long time.

Although everyone is different with how they respond to motivation, I usually suggest that the root of your motivation must be that you have fun doing an activity, and establishing a routine around it. Start with something easy and enjoyable, as long as it contributes in some way to your goal. Lifting, walking, hiking. As your fitness responds to those activities, eventually you'll feel like run, bike, swim.

As mentioned before, establish a routine of getting up and doing something/anything if thats when you have time to work out. Even if it's just walking the dog or gardening for starts.

Sign up or plan an event or milestone to have something to look forward to. 5k race, backpacking, full day hike, mountain bike ride, etc. Anything. Plan it for the enjoyment/excitement, and a stepping stone in your training plans.

Best of luck

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Re: Finding the inner motivation [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to have a problem with motivating myself as well. What worked for me was I went to a lot of local races, meet same people over and over again, became good friends and we ended up train together and hang around. If they live far from me, we still encourage each other via social media. I see their progress, check race results, we motivate each other and do races together. Now, I'm good enough to be self motivated. It takes time, but you will get there eventually. Just remember this. "If you hang around with bees, you hang around in flower bed. If you hang around with flies, you hang around in restroom." Become a bee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a few others have said, sign up for a race. Preferably an expensive one. And tell your friends and coworkers that you did.
Quote Reply