Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, the power-curved cranks provide wider range of gear ratios for bicycle designing
Hot damn! No longer depend on them freaking pesky cogs to decide your gear ratios! I prefer my crank arm to set that for me, thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charge $1K, make them out of carbon fiber, and make up a press release saying they will increase your power output by, I don't know, pick a number, say 60% and that they will double your run speed, and you will sell a truckload of those things. I will even conduct the study which will demonstrate that if you take 100 untrained cyclists and have them train on them exclusively for 15 hrs/week for 6 months, remarkable improvements in cycling ability are possible.

If anyone starts asking technical questions, just say they were designed using the polar coordinate system to take advantage of the coriolis effect on rotating objects.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they're awesome apart from the name. No upper dead point power curved crank doesn't quite cut it, they need something catchy and short.

I propose "clinton cranks"...

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont see a BB30 version :-(

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
hey if Look can put a kink in their top tube for no reason,
why can't asia make cool looking cranks?[/quote]
bingo.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the funniest thread in a long time. Thanks guys for making my day. Might as well go home. Nothing is going to top that today !

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there was no financial crisis I would buy them, but hey, I might lose my job tomorrow. How can I afford to spend my last money on cranks instead of beer...

wrong timing to put such a crank on the market.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

wow

+1

Nothing else to say...
LOL. What they don't mention is they have simply shifted the dead spot 90º such that it is now at the middle of the downstroke. And, they haven't put us to shame unless they cost more than we do. :-)
This is awesome. I am preserving this for all time. The fact you that you believe that these cranks have shifted the deadspot 90deg is baffling to me. Well, not really. But it ought to be. The cranks are no different than if they went in a perfectly straight line. How you've managed to get away with writing that and not getting drilled is beyond me. If this statement is representative of your understanding of either mechanics or biomechanics or both, you're in trouble...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
Also, the power-curved cranks provide wider range of gear ratios for bicycle designing
Hot damn! No longer depend on them freaking pesky cogs to decide your gear ratios! I prefer my crank arm to set that for me, thanks.
I'm guessing all that means is that they were built with a 110BCD spider. But hey, it could also be a function of the Golden Spiral Ratio...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

wow

+1

Nothing else to say...
LOL. What they don't mention is they have simply shifted the dead spot 90º such that it is now at the middle of the downstroke. And, they haven't put us to shame unless they cost more than we do. :-)
This is awesome. I am preserving this for all time. The fact you that you believe that these cranks have shifted the deadspot 90deg is baffling to me. Well, not really. But it ought to be. The cranks are no different than if they went in a perfectly straight line. How you've managed to get away with writing that and not getting drilled is beyond me. If this statement is representative of your understanding of either mechanics or biomechanics or both, you're in trouble...
My comment should have been in pink, but I avoid doing such stuff as I have trouble reading the pink type (not enough contrast) and I would hope that most of the readers here can tell the difference between serious and not so serious posts. The only way these cranks would be different from cranks that went straight might be if they were made of spring steel, such that there might be some storing/release of energy during the stroke. I doubt that is the case.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chuck Norris could ride these cranks. He's about the only person on earth who could
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [Seminole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, I have an idea....who wants to put in some cash for developement and patent attys?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wait, I have an idea....who wants to put in some cash for developement and patent attys?

Finally some "proof" that "just pushing harder" is more powerful than pedaling in circles. :-)

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [pito00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are more awsome than you can imagine, they help acceleration because of the shaped momentum, they littterally pull the crank out of the upper dead curve and the crank arms are bent out from the frame with slightly inverted pedals which allows for more aplied power because you arent pushing straight down and wearing your knees, I read the forums on different sights by so called EXPERTS and couldnt beleive they couldnt see the common sense in this design. I was building a Custom dual shaock MTB and bought 2 sets of these cranks, I combined the MTB version with the Road version and that just created a weapon, I am running 11-28t rear and 42 bio-pace and 56t front on my 18kg MTB, I didnt see the need to add the 3rd chainring as it flies up hill and cruises 55-60kph on flat, I am about to upgrade again to 48t/60t very soon. I will be happy to tell you more.

ITS GO TIME !
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, some cranksets that put powercranks to shame [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The concept of pointlessly making straight things curved worked for Pinarello:

Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what everyone is overlooking is that, unlike Powercranks, these cranks increase the outstanding of your bike. A; Powercranks do is increase the outstanding of your legs. :)

The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die.-Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [SGT.MARSHALL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SGT.MARSHALL wrote:
They are more awsome than you can imagine, they help acceleration because of the shaped momentum, they littterally pull the crank out of the upper dead curve and the crank arms are bent out from the frame with slightly inverted pedals which allows for more aplied power because you arent pushing straight down and wearing your knees, I read the forums on different sights by so called EXPERTS and couldnt beleive they couldnt see the common sense in this design. I was building a Custom dual shaock MTB and bought 2 sets of these cranks, I combined the MTB version with the Road version and that just created a weapon, I am running 11-28t rear and 42 bio-pace and 56t front on my 18kg MTB, I didnt see the need to add the 3rd chainring as it flies up hill and cruises 55-60kph on flat, I am about to upgrade again to 48t/60t very soon. I will be happy to tell you more.

I know you are new to the forum but it's accepted practice to use a pink font when being sarcastic.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [TheDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you are new to the forum but it's accepted practice to use a pink font when being sarcastic.

Two things are weird about Sgt. Marshall's post. His FIRST post is in response to a Mar 09 humor post and he has photos of those cranks on his profile page suggesting he believes they work (or that he is being very sarcastic).

Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
Put some q-rings on those bad boyz and you're all set! Who knows where the dead spot will end up. They will confuse the dead spot so much that it will run away in fear.

hahaha

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

Two things are weird about Sgt. Marshall's post. His FIRST post is in response to a Mar 09 humor post and he has photos of those cranks on his profile page suggesting he believes they work (or that he is being very sarcastic).

Yeah, that's weird. He's either very sarcastic or very fast. Maybe I'll be getting passed by a mountain bike doing 60kph running curved cranks this summer...

I'm very scared.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duh! Rapp!
Can't you see that they make a 170mm crank into a 200mm. And, the spiral adds a spring effect returning the energy imparted during the downstroke to the horizontal part of the stroke. And, lastly the extra weight keeps the crank turning faster during any dead spots. Hell, you're an engineer aren't you????

X^D

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, some cranksets that put powercranks to shame [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snake oil, pure and simple!

But as they say, there is a sucker born every minute.

Rest assured, I'm not a sucker.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [JeepFleeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you put your finger on the essence of the problem -- complete lack of understanding of simple physics. :-)

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lschmidt wrote:
What am I missing? If these cranks are the same as normal cranks aside from the shape of the crank arm, why is it any different than a crank with a straight arm (red):

...or is that the point of this post?

Do the crank arms move at all with respect to the chainrings?

I think their theory is that all that metal (read weight) on the right side of the BB will pull the crankarm CW when it's at 12:00, reducing the deadspot there (same effect as if you glued a big weight 90 deg. CW from a normal crankarm). However if the non-driveside arm has a similar curve they just cancel each other out.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply

Prev Next