Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fiesta Island World Record Contest
Quote | Reply
ITU San Diego has a new gimmick and I like it!

What's your fastest fiesta time?... Mine is 9:59 via strava segment but without a tri helmet a few months ago. I'm wondering what I could do with a helmet now....

New for 2013 - Fiesta Island World Record Contest

The original map from the first triathlon (1974) shows the bike course around Fiesta Island.

The 2013 edition of ITU World Triathlon San Diego will take place April 18-20 and features a new course with exciting incentives. Think you're one of the fastest age-group riders in the sport? Show your speed on the bike loop around Fiesta Island, the birthplace of triathlon. The fastest riders around the loop will earn the right to call themselves Fiesta Island World Record Holders.

Timing mats will record your splits for the Fiesta Island loop. Sprint competitors will ride one loop around the island, and Olympic Distance and Aquabike competitors will ride two with their fastest lap counting toward the contest rankings.

Awards will be given to the fastest athletes in the following categories:

• Male 13-39
  • Female 13-39
  • Male 40-59 (Masters)
  • Female 40-54 (Masters)
  • Male 60+ (Grand Masters)
  • Female 55+ (Grand Masters)

Grab your bike and start building that cycling speed for your chance to win a one-of-a-kind award in the birthplace of triathlon!
Last edited by: 125mph: Feb 6, 13 13:29
Quote Reply
Re: Fiesta Island World Record Contest [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have time trials around Fiesta Island fairly regularly, and they have official records.

Not trying to rain on the parade, but how would does this make you a world record holder?

Not sure how it works, but an incentive nonetheless.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Fiesta Island World Record Contest [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats why I called it a gimmick! lol... but gimmick or not, Its still fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems kinda strange, since the best way to "win" this is to sandbag the swim and the rest of the bike.

Some grand tours used to have this (ex. fastest climb of a given hill during at TT) and the winner was typically a MOP time trialist who just targeted this prime.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
24:36, set the mark 6 years ago (set it the following race on my Tiemeyer).

http://www.socalcycling.com/news/2007/feb07.asp

Shawn Olin breaks 8 Year Fiesta Island Time Trial Record
2/11/07 - The record set by Olympic cyclist Shaun Wallace on 9/12/1999 in 25:12 was broken today in 25:05 (20k/original long course), 29.72 MPH avg speed, by DeWalt Racing CAT 1 cyclist Shawn Olin in the wind, rain and mud on a custom built Tiemeyer pursuit fixed gear bike with 175mm FSA track cranks, Vision aerobars, Blackwell Research track disc/100mm wheelset, and Dura Ace front brake. He ran a 52x13 gear and spun over 90RPM, having had to come out of the aerobars in each corner due to the slick muddy conditions. Shawn is the 2004 US Military Time Trial National Champion.

Quote Reply
Re: Fiesta Island World Record Contest [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>Seems kinda strange, since the best way to "win" this is to sandbag the swim and the rest of the bike.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe this is timed within the race, but is an optional same-weekend fun competition like the St. Croix Beast-climb or the underwear run.
Quote Reply
Re: Fiesta Island World Record Contest [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
>Seems kinda strange, since the best way to "win" this is to sandbag the swim and the rest of the bike.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe this is timed within the race, but is an optional same-weekend fun competition like the St. Croix Beast-climb or the underwear run.

Right now it is at gimmick status. There is a link to the register, but it only takes you to the tri races.

Mike
PS. Don't mind me, I'm still pissed that they took out the challenging bike course from last year and replaced it with a pancake draft fest. This latest gimmick is just an attempt to wipe some of the egg off their face.
Quote Reply
Re: Fiesta Island World Record Contest [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

The original map from the first triathlon (1974) shows the bike course around Fiesta Island.
The 2013 edition of ITU World Triathlon San Diego will take place April 18-20 and features a new course with exciting incentives. Think you're one of the fastest age-group riders in the sport? Show your speed on the bike loop around Fiesta Island, the birthplace of triathlon. The fastest riders around the loop will earn the right to call themselves Fiesta Island World Record Holders.

Timing mats will record your splits for the Fiesta Island loop. Sprint competitors will ride one loop around the island, and Olympic Distance and Aquabike competitors will ride two with their fastest lap counting toward the contest rankings.

Based on the above, I'm assuming it's in-race.

There is also the interesting issue of having the "world record" if there are cyclists outside of triathlon who have done it faster (see above posts).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Fiesta Island World Record Contest [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>There is also the interesting issue of having the "world record" if there are cyclists outside of triathlon who have done it faster (see above posts).,

That kind of fits in with the tongue-in-cheek Fiesta Island tradition. There's the Fiesta Island World Championship , "the single most important one-hour cycling classic." E.g. it's Thursday night crit practice.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 7, 13 9:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool stuff. Did fiesta island couple of weeks ago when I traveled down from the Bay Area. Gets kinda boring after 4-5 laps but definitely a great place for intervals and constant aero time.
Quote Reply