Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fenix 6 Questions
Quote | Reply
I am looking at replacing my 920xt and forerunner 235 with a Fenix 6.

What are the real world differences between the Fenix 6 and the 6pro besides the music feature which i would not use? Is the wifi worth the extra $100 for the pro?

Also, upon reading reviews i see quite a few reviews about the charging port corroding and then the watch not being able to charge.....has anyone here experienced that or are those reviewers doing something crazy like plugging it in to charge when wet?
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 6 Questions [Jcgill21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the 6s Pro. I wish I had the solar charging version because I think I would use that pretty regularly when backpacking (right now I charge it with a solar panel).

I do use the music, which I didn’t think I would use. I like not having to carry my phone for runs less than 90 minutes. And I listen to music in my tent when I can’t sleep. I didn’t expect that I would do this, but the feature was there, so I used it.

I do like the WiFi. It was buggy for a while, but a software update seems to have fixed it.

I have had zero problems with my 6s and it seems to be extremely durable. I swim in the ocean with it A LOT. I surf with it (there is a cool surf app). I mount it on both my road and mountain bike. I run with it. The trail run app has nice screens that aren’t, by default, on the run screen. I use it when I kayak. It links to my inReach for a quick glance. I like all the measurement metrics and scroll through and read them when I’m bored. The temperature reading has always befuddled me. The only time I think it is accurate is when I’m in my hot tub. In the hot tub, the watch reads an accurate 102. Otherwise, it just confuses me.

I’d buy it again.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any reason you wouldn't consider the 5 Plus? You can get the fenix 5 plus carbon for $312ish
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 6 Questions [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D.O. wrote:
Any reason you wouldn't consider the 5 Plus? You can get the fenix 5 plus carbon for $312ish

Wow really?! Where is that at? I see the 5 on Amazon but hear Garmin does not honor the warranty from Amazon sales?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://bikecloset.com/...ZEAQYAiABEgL5JfD_BwE

Additional 5% off in cart. I just bought mine from Mybikeshop.com and asked them to price match
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got the 6 and love the credit card ability to pay.

I also always leave my phone on silent and my watch alerts me when someone calls.

The open watch swim tracking is the best.

If money isn’t an option, but the 6

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 6 Questions [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hillary,

Can you tell me about the navigation abilities on the 6s? I understand the 6s does not have a full topo map, but is it easy to use when uploading a route and tracking the navigation? The regular 5 and 5x are too large for me and I am looking for a smaller option that has navigation for backpacking, mountain climbing, and long trail runs/hikes. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have thought the topo maps on the 6 pro was probably the bigger difference to the 6 than just the music.

The 6 will still allow you to follow a GPS breadcrumb trail with directions.

While there were a few reports of corrosion with early models, I haven't seen that many reports of this in the last 18 months. Keeping the charging port clean, and perhaps more importantly dry while charging, should eliminate most issues. Certainly I have seen no problems with my 6 Pro in 2 years. And pretty much every report I have seen about charging issues, Garmin have dealt replaced it pretty promptly.
Last edited by: mcalista: Mar 14, 21 0:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just keep in mind that the 7 is due to come out later this summer, if Garmin stays on the same schedule that they did with the 5 and 6. Once the 7 comes out, you should be able to get the 6 at a pretty good discount. Or, maybe the 7 has some features that you'd really like.

I don't know what your timeline to replace is like, but if might be worth it to wait a few months if you can.
Quote Reply