Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fenix 5 users
Quote | Reply
Tried searching and can’t really find an answer so figured I’d ask.

Does your F5 impede taking off your wetsuit?

How hard is it to change bands? Do 3rd party bands (mostly fashion based) hold up well?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Last edited by: Jloewe: Feb 2, 19 13:15
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 users [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll get the ball rolling as a FR935 owner. Similar dimensions.

I thought it would get in the way of the wetsuit, but to be fair t doesn't at all. Perhaps I'm a little aware when putting the wesuit on, but not when taking off, even after training swims.

The bands with the QR are a doddle to swap. I used to use a leather one for normal daily use, and a rubber one for swimming. The leather one gave up the ghost after 10 months, seemed that the couple of swims I did when I forgot to change straps dd not go well for it.

Only used genuine straps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven’t used mine with a wetsuit yet.

On the bands front I have replaced the quick fit band with a Hirsch strap and it’s been perfect. It required using a small Allen wrench to loosen up the end of the straps to get the pins through but it was all of 4 mins work.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Last edited by: tri-tele: Feb 2, 19 16:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No luck with after market bands had 2 I bought on Amazon (silicon) and both buckles failed. No worse getting wet suit off than my 910 or 310 back in the day

Jeff

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super easy to change bands if you buy the ones meant for the watch. They are quick release but won't accidentally fall off

Jeff

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
How hard is it to change bands?
I've only used garmin bands but changing them is super easy; takes seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wetsuit: It's no different than the 920XT or 910XT that I've had in the past. No problems.

Bands: Super easy when using Garmin branded bands. I've never tried any other brands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely 0 issues with removing a wetsuit while wearing the 5+. If you're not deliberate with your movements your hand can get caught up either way.

The bands are extremely easy to change but can't comment on 3rd party bands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only when the wetsuit strippers try to tear your suit off...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just pull it up and over, not that difficult. Wedge your fingers, thumb behind index under, yank, done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It impedes it quite a bit, and I have a nice little cut in my wetsuit from the first time I took it off while wearing the Fenix.

In training I just remove the watch while taking wetsuit on and off. In racing when I don't have time to do that I wear the watch under the wetsuit - take watch off, put wetsuit on and fold the wrist cuff back on itself, then put the watch on. Shortly before the start I hit the start button, then pull the wetsuit cuff over the top of the watch. That way my wetsuit doesn't get shredded, my Fenix doesn't get kicked off and end up at the bottom of the sea, and the wetsuit comes off no problem in T1. I also swap the metal band for a plastic one when racing, very easy to do, takes literally 10 seconds.

Only downside is swim timings aren't that accurate on race day. But not really a big deal, it's not like cycling or running where you're looking at your watch to manage your pace/power/HR.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 users [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://
cartsman wrote:
It impedes it quite a bit, and I have a nice little cut in my wetsuit from the first time I took it off while wearing the Fenix.

In training I just remove the watch while taking wetsuit on and off. In racing when I don't have time to do that I wear the watch under the wetsuit - take watch off, put wetsuit on and fold the wrist cuff back on itself, then put the watch on. Shortly before the start I hit the start button, then pull the wetsuit cuff over the top of the watch. That way my wetsuit doesn't get shredded, my Fenix doesn't get kicked off and end up at the bottom of the sea, and the wetsuit comes off no problem in T1. I also swap the metal band for a plastic one when racing, very easy to do, takes literally 10 seconds.

Only downside is swim timings aren't that accurate on race day. But not really a big deal, it's not like cycling or running where you're looking at your watch to manage your pace/power/HR.

Thanks I was thinking I was the only one, your idea is a great one!
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 users [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Fenix 3, which is the same design.

I have never had an issue, but I always have it under the cuff of my wetsuit. I just pull the wetsuit on with the watch on, but the roll up the cuff then put the watch on would work well also. I also just to make things either have always sprayed the watch and wrist (also other wrist, and ankles) with SLIK spray, so that helps it slide over the watch also I am sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 users [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The original silicone band broke after a year. Garmin charges €50 for a new silicone band. I ordered bands from china at about €4 per band. I now can choose from steel, leather and two colours silicone. I use the one silicone the most, have been since april-may and it's still OK. I guess you need a little luck though with these €4 bands, some are crappy, some are as good as original. Swapping them out is very easy.
Quote Reply