Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt TT 700 v. Cervelo P2k v. Yaqui Ocotillo
Quote | Reply
So I have decided start looking for a new frame and fork to replace my road frame for Tri's. I don't want to spend much more than $1000 for the frame, and the Felt TT and Cervelo P2k both are both in this price range. Any opinions on these two? If anyone knows of another frame I should be looking at, I would love to hear about it - especially if the seat tube angle were closer to 78 degrees.

EDIT: now I have found the Yaqui Ocotillo - appears to be the Mariola, but $200 less. Anyone out there have thoughts on this one?

Thanks,

John
Last edited by: JohnA: May 11, 03 20:15
Quote Reply
Re: Felt TT 700 v. Cervelo P2k [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kestrel Talon, QR Caliente is nice also, but it only comes as a complete bike. You may also check Ebay, there are a lot of nice frames going pretty cheap right mow. Good luck.

Ze Gopha

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: Felt TT 700 v. Cervelo P2k v. Yaqui Ocotillo [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to the Yaqui site, I think that first picture is Simon Lessing on an Ocotillo with a carbon rear triangle...like the Yaqui Carbo has. The Ocotillo is essentially the Mariola, but in round tubing. As far as the frames themselves, if you think there's any advantage to smooth welds, you will find the Felt welds aren't up to the smoothness of the other two frames. The Yaqui will be measurably lighter than the P2K, but I don't know about if the "aeroness" is measurably different between the two bikes. You need to have someone make sure you buy the right size P2K...don't just assume or guess at the size. Ves Mandaric will make sure you get the right size Yaqui if you go that route. Gerard, with Cervelo, is a great source of knowledge and he posts on Slowtwitch often, but I don't know him personally. I feel like I know Ves Mandaric after e-mailing and talking with him many times as he built my bike...I can tell you he talked me out of a 78 degree seat tube bike, into a 76, and he was correct in his advice. I'm faster and more comfortable at 76! Also, at 76, I have more usable seat-tube angle options to tweak my position for different terrain. I was somewhat skeptical about getting a 76, but trusted his judgement, and he was spot on!

Good luck with your decision!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Felt TT 700 v. Cervelo P2k v. Yaqui Ocotillo [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John,

I'm waiting for my Mariola to arrive this week. I bought it based on Dan's review, everything else that's been written here and because of my emails and phone calls to Ves. I'd suggest giving him a call (his # is on their website) and opening up a dialog. How often can you talk to the guy that going to be building your frame?

Zeke
Quote Reply