Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Felt IA vs. The Rest
Quote | Reply
Currently on a 2016 Felt IA 1 and considering a new bike, but in a bit of a conundrum if it is actually worth it. I also know that there has been talk about "Aero Shootout 2.0" but that has seemed to have lost steam and the IA doesn't look like it would be tested if the shootout did happen.

I am a consistent sub 2:15 70.3 split and sub 4:30 split on flatter courses, so towards the pointer end.

That being said, am I missing a lot riding the IA? Considering the Specialized Shiv and maybe even the Giant Trinity, both of which have integrated hydration which is nice add on, but are we talking seconds or 5min+.... I really do not care about the looks of bikes, however i am somewhat wary staying with rim brakes as it appears that development funds of wheel manufacturers are being directed towards rim brake hoop designs.

A google search is pretty much worthless when it comes to this question, so any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA vs. The Rest [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DashLash wrote:
Currently on a 2016 Felt IA 1 and considering a new bike, but in a bit of a conundrum if it is actually worth it. I also know that there has been talk about "Aero Shootout 2.0" but that has seemed to have lost steam and the IA doesn't look like it would be tested if the shootout did happen.

I am a consistent sub 2:15 70.3 split and sub 4:30 split on flatter courses, so towards the pointer end.

That being said, am I missing a lot riding the IA? Considering the Specialized Shiv and maybe even the Giant Trinity, both of which have integrated hydration which is nice add on, but are we talking seconds or 5min+.... I really do not care about the looks of bikes, however i am somewhat wary staying with rim brakes as it appears that development funds of wheel manufacturers are being directed towards rim brake hoop designs.

A google search is pretty much worthless when it comes to this question, so any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

what particular model of shiv are you considering? and which giant trinity?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA vs. The Rest [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
DashLash wrote:

Hey Dan! The Shiv expert Tri model (shark fin) with disc brakes or the Giant Trinity pro.

I know the Trinity has a longer reach than my current Felt. Honestly though I feel a touch squashed on the the bike. Current arm pad stack is 673mm and pad reach is 417mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DashLash wrote:
Slowman wrote:
DashLash wrote:

Hey Dan! The Shiv expert Tri model (shark fin) with disc brakes or the Giant Trinity pro.

I know the Trinity has a longer reach than my current Felt. Honestly though I feel a touch squashed on the the bike. Current arm pad stack is 673mm and pad reach is 417mm.

Is that a typo? Seems -very- high stack for a very short reach....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DashLash wrote:
Slowman wrote:
DashLash wrote:

i'm just making sure you're ready to spend some money. because, the shiv is a dog at the lower price level, and the newer disc brake models start at $8,000 or so, and go up to $13,000. the giant, my concern there is that it must be near the end of the current model cycle. i can only assume there's a disc brake bike coming out.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a massively upgraded Felt IA 16. I am on the faster end of bike splits for an old guy. The only thing I would consider over my IA is a Cervelo P5 or PX Series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
DashLash wrote:
Slowman wrote:
DashLash wrote:

i'm just making sure you're ready to spend some money. because, the shiv is a dog at the lower price level, and the newer disc brake models start at $8,000 or so, and go up to $13,000. the giant, my concern there is that it must be near the end of the current model cycle. i can only assume there's a disc brake bike coming out.

Most definitely understand the cost of the new Shiv and the gap between it and Trinity. Also open to other options if it makes sense. I’m not sold on either, just looking to see if I’m missing on any “free” speed with my IA. From what I have read and found, the IA says is great at high yaw but from 0-10 degrees it’s kind of a dog? I’ve just never seen any data.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA vs. The Rest [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
DashLash wrote:
Slowman wrote:
DashLash wrote:

Is that a typo? Seems -very- high stack for a very short reach....

Does the following seem right?

Frame stack is 551mm
Frame reach is 528mm

Trying to disseminate through the Retul data.
Last edited by: DashLash: Dec 13, 20 14:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DashLash wrote:

Frame stack is 551mm
Frame reach is 528mm

My guess is:
Frame: 551 / 417
Pad: 673 / 528
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA vs. The Rest [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm also on an upgraded Felt IA16 on rim brakes...perfected my fit over the years and can't see myself switching to any new bike unless I had to. aesthetically nothing does it for me and i already have a superbike for half the cost of all these new bikes. makes no sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Missing a lot?

Absolutely not.

If you are feeling a bit squashed, then I'd PERHAPS consider getting a proper fit and being told which bikes would accomodate the best fit for you, as that would do far more than just slightly different tube shaping etc.

That said, if you are feeling squashed, by how much?

Have you considered going with a different front end? I got the dagger stem that has 2 cm more reach, and accomodates any typical aftermarket aerobar setup, which could open up that front end for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA vs. The Rest [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
Missing a lot?

Absolutely not.

If you are feeling a bit squashed, then I'd PERHAPS consider getting a proper fit and being told which bikes would accomodate the best fit for you, as that would do far more than just slightly different tube shaping etc.

That said, if you are feeling squashed, by how much?

Have you considered going with a different front end? I got the dagger stem that has 2 cm more reach, and accomodates any typical aftermarket aerobar setup, which could open up that front end for you.

That is a good point running the dagger stem.

Just slightly squashed, not to the point where I am so uncomfortable that I have to get up and stretch every 15min. I can obviously generate power from the position and I don't think there is any TT bike position that is like a Lazy Boy chair. Below are my fit numbers from a Retul about a year ago.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm certainly not the fit expert here, but that BB to back of pad reach number on your report seems really low given the rest of the numbers (and for someone as fast as you). Would be interesting to see a pic of you on the bike with those numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be completely honest, I would describe my tri bike fit as being like a Lazy Boy Chair.

I get on the bike, relax and pedal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I'm certainly not the fit expert here, but that BB to back of pad reach number on your report seems really low given the rest of the numbers (and for someone as fast as you). Would be interesting to see a pic of you on the bike with those numbers.

Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA vs. The Rest [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
To be completely honest, I would describe my tri bike fit as being like a Lazy Boy Chair.

I get on the bike, relax and pedal.

Same, relaxed, but not taking a nap comfortable....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To my eyes I would have thought your reach in those pics is longer than the number on the retul report, but who knows.
Wait for the experts to chime in.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA vs. The Rest [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
DashLash wrote:

Frame stack is 551mm
Frame reach is 528mm

My guess is:

in point of fact, frame geometry in triathlon has converged. there is scant difference between the frames now in their stack/reach numbers, however, there is not conformity on what those frames are called. if you look at your 551mm/417mm, there's a pretty typical geometry now that is about 540mm/425mm, and that's the Felt IA in 56cm, the QR PR series in 54cm, the Dimond in size M, the Speed Concept in L, so, you just have to look at stack and reach. however...

that's not the most important part of this. what is really divergent is in the range of available positions these bikes give you, by virtue of their integrated front ends.

me? i would not buy a felt today. why? the frame is great, the geometry is great, but the aerobars are felt-designed and they're at least 8 years out of date and probably more. unless i'm mistaken, they use that old profile J2 bracket motif of armrests bolted to extensions which are bolted to armrest clamps. that's a bad design in my opinion.

cervelo, QR, canyon, even orbea, and others, have kept up. trek, specialized, felt, in my opinion, haven't.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
MattyK wrote:
DashLash wrote:

Frame stack is 551mm
Frame reach is 528mm

My guess is:

in point of fact, frame geometry in triathlon has converged. there is scant difference between the frames now in their stack/reach numbers, however, there is not conformity on what those frames are called. if you look at your 551mm/417mm, there's a pretty typical geometry now that is about 540mm/425mm, and that's the Felt IA in 56cm, the QR PR series in 54cm, the Dimond in size M, the Speed Concept in L, so, you just have to look at stack and reach. however...

that's not the most important part of this. what is really divergent is in the range of available positions these bikes give you, by virtue of their integrated front ends.

me? i would not buy a felt today. why? the frame is great, the geometry is great, but the aerobars are felt-designed and they're at least 8 years out of date and probably more. unless i'm mistaken, they use that old profile J2 bracket motif of armrests bolted to extensions which are bolted to armrest clamps. that's a bad design in my opinion.

cervelo, QR, canyon, even orbea, and others, have kept up. trek, specialized, felt, in my opinion, haven't.

That said, I believe on all the felts, including the upper end frd etc. you can throw a tririg alpha one on there, or a felt dagger stem and any base/aero bar you want onto that (like Josh A. does). At least one of your example mentioned above, the QR, the frameset itself doesn't include a specific bar, so you are left buying aftermarket anyway.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Dec 14, 20 9:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Slowman wrote:
MattyK wrote:
DashLash wrote:

Frame stack is 551mm
Frame reach is 528mm

My guess is:

That said, I believe on all the felts, including the upper end frd etc. you can throw a tririg alpha one on there, or a felt dagger stem and any base/aero bar you want onto that (like Josh A. does). At least one of your example mentioned above, the QR, the frameset itself doesn't include a specific bar, so you are left buying aftermarket anyway.

i don't agree what what you wrote here. yes, you can aftermarket-configure a Felt, but that doesn't make the Felt and the QR equal. QR chooses to let someone else make its aerobar, and the aerobars that are on those bikes are quite fine. they don't need to be changed. in my opinion, there are some bike makers who are spec'ing bikes in ways that pretty much require that you make 2 spends: 1 for the bike, and 1 for the retrofit. i think the cervelo P Series is a great, great bike, but i think you almost have to immediately sub out the Vision hydration system for the profile. Felt, you have to get a whole new front end. so, you take the price of the Felt, add $1000, and that's your bike. before the hydration. that's another spend.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, yes, it is def an extra spend in the order of 1k when buying a felt frameset/bike if you want the different front end.

If buying a QR frameset, it doesn't come with bars, so you have that spend there too, but I agree their complete bikes have more up to date bars.

I'm looking at disc brake bikes and have owned a felt in the past, comfortable with the fit, and there are some good prices on 2020's. Thinking of going that direction knowing that if down the road I get frustrated with the bars for any reason, I can swap them out even if it'll cost some $$.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Agree, yes, it is def an extra spend in the order of 1k when buying a felt frameset/bike if you want the different front end.

If buying a QR frameset, it doesn't come with bars, so you have that spend there too, but I agree their complete bikes have more up to date bars.

I'm looking at disc brake bikes and have owned a felt in the past, comfortable with the fit, and there are some good prices on 2020's. Thinking of going that direction knowing that if down the road I get frustrated with the bars for any reason, I can swap them out even if it'll cost some $$.

the felts are certainly rideable now. i guess i just see some folks on the front page noodling tri bikes now and who're making decisions that cause me to scratch my head. or, they're using data and metrics that aren't valid in real life. most of these retul reports are very helpful in identifying fit coordinates, but are wildly off the mark in bike prescription.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

the felts are certainly rideable now. i guess i just see some folks on the front page noodling tri bikes now and who're making decisions that cause me to scratch my head. or, they're using data and metrics that aren't valid in real life. most of these retul reports are very helpful in identifying fit coordinates, but are wildly off the mark in bike prescription.

I 100% agree with you Dan and I do not think you are calling me out, however of the course of some years my fit has evolved as I've become more flexible (lower) which may be the reason I have become more "squashed?". In the instance of my Felt, I was fitted and then purchased the bike according to coordinates; not the other way around. Past three fits on this bike have been from a FIST and Retul fit "expert" (I use that term loosley).

What I gather from my original question, it does not seem that I am missing much in the way of aerodynamics with my current bike setup. There are some draw backs to the 2016 Felt IA as there are no down tube bosses, internal hydration, internal flat kit storage, etc that the modern "super bike" has. I guess therein lies the question; if you are smart about the setup does it still equate a modern integrated bike? A question I'm still searching for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of good discussion about the specifics of the bike and all that but it seems like your original question is still out there. How much are you missing?

If one presumes a similar fit and wheels and gear on a new vs an old bike, what is the basic, ballpark difference merely due to the tri-bike frame? Yours is at least a relatively recent one. I'm still on a 2008 tri bike which I love but is a brick. Yet I have no idea how much time I might save moving to even a modest recent aero frame, presuming a similar fit and gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DashLash wrote:
Slowman wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

I 100% agree with you Dan and I do not think you are calling me out, however of the course of some years my fit has evolved as I've become more flexible (lower) which may be the reason I have become more "squashed?". In the instance of my Felt, I was fitted and then purchased the bike according to coordinates; not the other way around. Past three fits on this bike have been from a FIST and Retul fit "expert" (I use that term loosley).

What I gather from my original question, it does not seem that I am missing much in the way of aerodynamics with my current bike setup. There are some draw backs to the 2016 Felt IA as there are no down tube bosses, internal hydration, internal flat kit storage, etc that the modern "super bike" has. I guess therein lies the question; if you are smart about the setup does it still equate a modern integrated bike? A question I'm still searching for.

the first truly fully integrated tri bike, in my opinion, was the 2011 speed concept. this was the first bike where you didn't see wires leading around the frame, gels taped to the top tube, tubes and inflators external, pretty much everything was integrated. that set was a groundbreaking bike.

however, i think some brands have taken integration to absurd levels, and when the bike is just not even adjustable anymore, that's absurdity. when you talk about geometry, here's what's happened: frames have come toward each other. so, frame stack/reach is no longer the driving metric, because all the bikes in your size are close to a mean. the huge difference in bikes is in adjust ability of your bike's front end and i mean:

1. height
2. length
3. the increments in height and length
4. tilt
5. pad width

as long as you just choose the right frame size, the bike is going to handle fine, regardless of which among the bikes you're looking at (that have been mentioned on this thread). also, they're all going to be reasonably aero, and have pretty good storage capacity. you may well be fine with a felt IA if the price is good because you know you're going to switch the front end out anyway. the more important point is that this is a great time to buy, and i saw a shop close its doors today because they just couldn't get supply. imagine this. 2 pieces of news today. first, bike industry imports up like 20 percent year over year. second, shop closes because it can't get shipped product. the way both these can be true at the same time is that the suppy chain has been exhausted.

tri bike sales lagged, because there's no reason for a tri bike if there's no race. however, the parts that go on tri bikes are the same parts that go on all bikes. so, brands are trying to move out the 2020 bikes that didn't sell, but once those bikes are gone, fat chance you'll see a lot of stock on 2021 bikes, come march/april. we're going to go from glut to empty shelves in 7 months. you have a good problem, choosing now among bikes that are at a great value. you almost can't go wrong.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next