Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that's terrifying. Remind me to check my extensions when I get home...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you contacted the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission ?
Serious question.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Currently in the process of contacting all appropriate entities. Will keep everyone posted as we progress. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [Mrfuzzypants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. I own a 2015 Felt IA1 as well, and it would be really scary to have this happen. Glad you are OK after the crash, but still... surgery(!)

In the interest of seeing if there are any similarities in set-up of the riser assembly for bikes that have clamps which failed, here are some pages below from the manual for the 2015 IA1.

For anyone that had an IA with a clamp that failed:
- were you running the low stack set-up (Option A/ no fixed bridge) or a high stack set-up (Option B/ fixed bridge) ?
- did your assembly have both the bracket spacers and the fit washers?
- were you running your arm rests behind or in front of the aerobar extension clamps?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. I am definitely double checking my own set-up.

Last edited by: ols: Sep 5, 17 8:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
I think I have officially "lost that lovin'' feeling"
-two failed extension brackets
-one failed set of rear brakes
-lousy calpac
-no draft box (nor will I ever have one on my 2015 Ia1)
-and a company that fails to accept responsibility for its mistakes.

Beautiful fast bike, but enough is enough

Oh yeah...I forgot about the brakes that had been recalled. In my case I have 2016 IA and I proactivly called them to make sure I had the new brakes. They assured me I did.

Wasn't until less than a year after I purchased the bike that the brakes failed. After I called again they begrudgingly admitted that I had the old brakes and agreed to send them to a retailed. That was 145 miles away...
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Felt IA FRD 2015 but mine has not been used that much....brakes etc. that got me thinking who made those clamps? There are 3t parts on this bike. I have had big problems with 3t clamps on a ceverlo P4 breaking. Do not know if they are 3t
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for sharing your experiences with your Felt bicycles. In our experience with similar cases we have found that the cause was improper installation and inadequate maintenance. We do our best to educate our dealers and consumers on correct installation and maintenance techniques but we realize that sometimes the message gets lost in the process. As such we have made upgrades to the design of the bracket in question and this upgraded version is currently available.

Felt Bicycles takes these matters very seriously. We strongly encourage any Felt customers who have experienced any issues installing, adjusting or maintaining any component on any Felt bicycle to contact the authorized Felt retailer. The dealer will have solutions or has the ability to discuss with the Felt Dealer Support team to find solutions If any issue still persists, we encourage them to contact Felt’s customer service department at info@feltbicycles.com

We are following up with MrFuzzyPants directly and are looking forward to resolving the situation as soon as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [Felt Bicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt Bicycles wrote:
Thank you all for sharing your experiences with your Felt bicycles. In our experience with similar cases we have found that the cause was improper installation and inadequate maintenance. We do our best to educate our dealers and consumers on correct installation and maintenance techniques but we realize that sometimes the message gets lost in the process. As such we have made upgrades to the design of the bracket in question and this upgraded version is currently available.

Felt Bicycles takes these matters very seriously. We strongly encourage any Felt customers who have experienced any issues installing, adjusting or maintaining any component on any Felt bicycle to contact the authorized Felt retailer. The dealer will have solutions or has the ability to discuss with the Felt Dealer Support team to find solutions If any issue still persists, we encourage them to contact Felt’s customer service department at info@feltbicycles.com

We are following up with MrFuzzyPants directly and are looking forward to resolving the situation as soon as possible.

Thanks for coming here and responding
Is there a way to know if we have the updated design
Last edited by: Geek_fit: Sep 6, 17 19:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry, but this response is weak. Correct maintenance and installation? My bike was built by one of the most prominent shops in the country. Many would argue the world. Several tour teams as well as pro triathletes regard them as the best of the best. I will let them know it's their fault
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
I'm sorry, but this response is weak. Correct maintenance and installation? My bike was built by one of the most prominent shops in the country. Many would argue the world. Several tour teams as well as pro triathletes regard them as the best of the best. I will let them know it's their fault

i think the way i would have put it is that i got my bike built and serviced by a highly reputable Felt dealer, and if they were the last to touch it before a bracket failure then it's a dealer or manufacturer problem, not a user problem.

i think what you'd like - but maybe not, i don't mean to put words in your mouth - is the manufacturer on the forum communicating with you. were it me, i'd think it's best to gently push back with a question like that, so that the manufacturer remains on the thread answering questions for users.

but, again, that's just me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Greatzaa wrote:

i think the way i would have put it is that i got my bike built and serviced by a highly reputable Felt dealer, and if they were the last to touch it before a bracket failure then it's a dealer or manufacturer problem, not a user problem.

i think what you'd like - but maybe not, i don't mean to put words in your mouth - is the manufacturer on the forum communicating with you. were it me, i'd think it's best to gently push back with a question like that, so that the manufacturer remains on the thread answering questions for users.

but, again, that's just me.

I'm pretty sure that is not how you would do it. That is your response as the host of slowtwitch trying to maintain your site etc., not the point of view from a concerned customer who potentially has a dangerous situation and or faulty equipment to sort through...but then again that's just me.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan. The LBS built and torqued the bolts. If I were to mentioned the shop by name, most would likely agree that they are among the most reputable in the world. I also have to admit that they failed to use the spacer and that may have been a contributing factor. However, if catastrophic failure is the result of not using a spacer, Felt might have let the shops know that or redesigned the part to prevent that from happening.

What frustrates me is that this is an issue that has been ongoing for quite some time and that Felt has known about. Instead of redesigning the part they have consistently denied responsibility and claimed this is an isolated issue, which it is not.

Somebody could have been killed.....somebody was seriously injured. They could have and should have fixed the issue long before now.
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Sep 6, 17 22:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That washer is ridiculously easy to have accidentally slip out while assembling the bars.

If there is actually a redesigned part then customers should have been notified and FELT should at least have it for sale on their site.

As of right now, I don't even know how to tell if I have the upgraded mount. I'm assuming not since I have the spacer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was updated and how do we know if we have updated bar clamps? Secondly have the directions been updated recently?

I spend the day creating process for people build complex assemblies. The directions and the supplement that was included with the bike is lacking in several ways. Do you use grease, loctite, certain type of grease, nothing, ect in the instructions as an example. Packing of the bolts and the fact that they are not marked.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoff14 wrote:
What was updated and how do we know if we have updated bar clamps? Secondly have the directions been updated recently?

I spend the day creating process for people build complex assemblies. The directions and the supplement that was included with the bike is lacking in several ways. Do you use grease, loctite, certain type of grease, nothing, ect in the instructions as an example. Packing of the bolts and the fact that they are not marked.

The pictures in the manual are ambiguous. Even from the pictures above; Where exactly do you put the fit washers? One picture shows one thing and the second page shows another. If the washers are so important that not having one can result in catastrophic failure then it should be very well documented.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt Bicycles wrote:

Thank you for coming on and responding.

Can you please describe what "inadequate maintenance" means in the context of what type of inadequate maintenance would lead to catastrophic aero bar failure?

This is a genuine concern for me as I am considering purchasing a Felt IA.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello all, We are following this and will have a more clear answer soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
shoff14 wrote:

The pictures in the manual are ambiguous. Even from the pictures above; Where exactly do you put the fit washers? One picture shows one thing and the second page shows another. If the washers are so important that not having one can result in catastrophic failure then it should be very well documented.

Agreed with the pictures, they could be better. The washers themselves are not highly critical to the assembly. They keep the shims in alignment. To keep them in their respective hole, grease can be used to keep them in place. Little drop here and there will do the trick.

The biggest thing that I see that could cause the breakage from an assembly standpoint is the clamp spacer and bolt lengths. My bike was shipped with a supplement instructions sheet which isn't on the Felt website (purchased Feb. 17). This included a couple new bolts that are not seen in the above screenshots. There were a couple of combinations that would allow for minimum bolt engagement, hence the new bolt lengths. Missing spacer on the clamp will cause the force through a different point in the clamp, not saying this is the cause of the failures, but it would be one of the potential causes that would need looked at. The directions certainly don't do this piece much justice in its importance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be useful if we could receive the following:

- exactly which models are susceptible to the issue
- how customers can check their setup is safe and correct i.e. exact pages, links etc to relevant instructions, not just take it to your LBS
- what the appropriate service interval is for these particular parts, the whole bike in general
- clarity around the suppositions written above, such as sweat and spacers
- how to spot a bad setup that may have been done by a LBS

Should readers not ride these bars until we receive a full response?

Other readers may have other requests they would like to see you provide..
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [Freddie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Part of the issue is that FELT doesn't actually have model years. Each part is serialized (as I understand it).

Which in my case is how I purchased a bike shipped from FELT at the end of 2016 but ended up with parts that had been recalled in 2015. They didn't have a way to know until I took the part off and gave them the serial number off that specific part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since reading this thread, I've contacted my bike shop to ask about both the IA brakes and the aerobar extension clamps and they say there has never been a recall on either part (assume that means official recall.) Still, if there are improved parts available, I would think it makes sense to replace the previous spec parts.

On the brakes, I cannot find the batch number so far (my understanding is that numbers 15051 or earlier can be upgraded and 15061 or later are the upgraded version), although I have taken off both front and rear covers - is the number printed on the hidden surface of the brake? Meaning you need to first remove the brake cables and then remove the brakes from the bike to find the number?
Last edited by: ols: Sep 8, 17 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to completely remove the brake. The serial number is on the individual arms of each brake.

I'm pretty sure it was an official recall as FELT replaced everyone's brakes (including labor) for free. But I guess I could be wrong since I had to proactively ask (twice) about it.

Rest assured, if you have the old brakes they WILL fail. Like within 2-5k miles of riding depending on conditions. Fortunately they fail closed and you end up trying to figure out why your brake is rubbing on your wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In our experience in working with consumers on an individual basis regarding issues involving the Bayonet 3 aerobar assembly, the primary cause has been improper installation. To simplify the installation process and improve the overall setup, as some of you have noted, Felt developed a new bracket system and accompanying hardware to alleviate any potential issues such as have been described in this forum thread. Here is how you can tell whether or not you have the updated bracket: (see attached)

Authorized Felt retailers have these new brackets available or available to them, so if you’re interested in an upgrade, contact your authorized Felt dealer for ordering information. This will be provided free of charge.

Finally, there are many terrific bicycle mechanics who produce great work. But we strongly encourage all riders to seek out an authorized Felt retailer for work on their IA Series, DA Series, or any other Felt bike. Missing components such as washers, incorrect bolt sizes, improper torque settings, or any other deviations from the manufacturer’s specifications can result in suboptimal performance, including causing the bracket or the aerobar to come loose or even break. All information regarding the proper installation and adjustment of all Felt bicycles can be found at the following link: http://www.feltbicycles.com/manuals[/url]. Any and all work performed on your Felt bike, whether by the rider or a bike shop, should adhere to the requirements outlined in the manuals and technical documents.

We strongly recommend ensuring that your bike is safe to operate before each and every ride. This includes checking tire pressure, looking for any loose bolts, inspecting your brakes, etc. Generally speaking, it’s good practice to take your bike to an authorized dealer regularly to ensure it’s in proper working order, the frequency of which depends on how often and the conditions in which you ride. Sweat and riding near saltwater conditions can corrode parts on your bike, so these factors are cause for shorter intervals between professional services. Every rider’s sweat rate and the frequency by which they ride near saltwater is unique, so again, we advise checking your bike for rust on a regular basis and consulting with your authorized Felt dealer if you have any questions.

For more specific information or questions, our customer service team is ready to assist you. Please contact them at info@feltbicycles.com[/url]

Last edited by: Felt Bicycles: Sep 13, 17 14:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt Bicycles wrote:

Thanks for the information, I will go and talk to my dealer in the morning to get the upgraded parts as mine say V2.
Quote Reply

Prev Next