Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Felt IA Seat Post/3T Difflock movement
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the 3T difflock in their Felt IA seatpost?

Now after 18months, no crash or damage identifiable, there is movement in the difflock mechanism and as such I can move the saddle left/right and side to side and the movement is within the difflock.

A problem? Easily fixed or a new seatpost?......and do you reckon
Felt will assist?
Last edited by: PortRooster: Jun 2, 17 16:30
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Seat Post/3T Difflock movement [PortRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the tiniest bit of slack or play and everything is torqued as it should be. the seat does not move, but there is some wiggle which means it must be play between the whole mech and where it sits inside the post. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything. The one i have in there is a whole new one because i went oval rails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeb mine moves alittle too. The problem I am having is dropping the front of the saddle a touch. I have had that gear between a gear apart 20 times trying to get the nose down a couple centimeters. Either it is level or it drops to much. Thinking about bending the rails.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Seat Post/3T Difflock movement [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that. Yes movement in the mech as the seat is bolted in as it should be. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't the complete mechanism unsecuring itself from the carbon seat post. I assume at some point though it would need to be fixed.....that movement can't be good. Have to admit I do not remember it being like that brand new.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Seat Post/3T Difflock movement [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep...same....I try and lift the nose of my ISM and it starts to point up my ring! Even though there appears to be big and little teeth in that mechanism it still doesn't work well.

The end result maybe the slightly sloped down seat and a saddle that has grip on the end!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They parts move independently so that you can adjust one and adjust the other in different directions which gives you different angles of adjustment. It seems like it is infinitely adjustable so that you can get it exactly where you want it. I've never had a problem in that respect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It isn't infinitely adjustable and I have had a few customers who had to switch seatposts to get the right saddle angle.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Seat Post/3T Difflock movement [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't it 10 degrees one way and 10 degrees or something the other way giving you a whole bunch of increments? It is not literally infinite, obviously, but it has hundreds of positions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, there are hundreds of combinations.

One cylinder moves the saddle 10 degrees. The other cylinder moves it 9.5 degrees. If you rotate them in opposite directions, you can find tune your saddle in 0.5 degree increments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the outer cyclinder has larger increments/teeth and the inner has smaller. Takes some work though.

It sounds as though people do or have movement in there seat clamp mechanism. Again I'm interested to hear from someone "in the know" if this is fine or not supposed to happen and would it weaken the whole unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This makes sense to me from a general thought process perspective.

However, I've not seen it work too well in practice. I'll have to keep trying. Getting it level is no problem at least!

Back to the original reason for the thread, there definitely should not be any play in the mechanical bits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhudson wrote:
Yeb mine moves alittle too. The problem I am having is dropping the front of the saddle a touch. I have had that gear between a gear apart 20 times trying to get the nose down a couple centimeters. Either it is level or it drops to much. Thinking about bending the rails.

Follow these instructions and you will get the saddle nose drop down exactly how much you like, start at 30 secs in the video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=khoxCoJYqdI

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Material is too soft for the function it has to perform. Should have been milled from SS or Cr/Mo. Again, the weight saved doesn't justify the sub-par integrity & function. I had to order another one because the alloy stripped in-spite of consistently torquing to 6.7 Nm (not even the max of 7.0 Nm) with proper alignment. Called Felt dealer and you have to $90.00. Felt should be more pro-active about customer service instead of letting AD takes care of it. Disappointing actually!
Last edited by: marcb720: Sep 28, 17 20:20
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Seat Post/3T Difflock movement [marcb720] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When my fitter accidentally stripped it, I got a new set from 3T for $70 and for oval rails
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3T Difflock is crap...well really the Felt seat post. They have replaced two and still the same problem. So my fix...thought about grinding down the caps just a little...but looked it all over. The play is between the outer ring of the 3T and the seat post. So twice now the fix for me. Ready...ha so I take a plastic grocery bag with the 3T completely out. Then put the 3T so its snug...no movement on the seat.

I called Felt and they say they never heard of this issue...I call bulls**t...the newer models no longer have the 3T difflock
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Seat Post/3T Difflock movement [T1DIronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 1 year old IA10. A month ago, while riding, one cap broke and the seat skewed off to one side. I managed to nurse it home. I previously had noted a bit of play in the seat but unfortunately didn't address it.

Contacted my LBS where I bought the bike - they contacted 3T and found there were no Difflock assemblies for Round Rails available anywhere, globally. (My research - Internet searches and calling 3T myself - confirmed that). Lots available for Oval Rails.

Ended up ordering a Difflock assembly for Oval Rails, then seperately ordered the Caps for Round Rails. (The internal Difflock mechanism for both Round Rails and Oval Rails is the same, but you need the correct Caps for your saddle rail type). Discarded the Caps for Oval Rails, and installed the Caps for Round Rails on the new internal Difflock mechanism.

The Caps that came with the Difflock for Oval Rails have a torque rating stamped on the Caps of 5 nm. The Round Rail Caps (both the original on my bike, and the new replacements) have a torque rating of 7nm. This is strange, since the bolts through the Caps thread into the same Difflock assembly type. So I've only torqued the new Round Rail Caps to 5nm.

Recommendations:
1) Don't torque the Cap bolts beyond 5nm, even if it's stamped 7nm.
2) If you have any play in the Seat/Caps (probably have a stripped thread in the Difflock mechanism) replace it proactively before it fails, like mine.

Regards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you and pic on how you fix that 3T Difflock.
It moving left and right on my saddle.
Please help
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Seat Post/3T Difflock movement [lightspeed79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there is some play and you are sure the difflock mech isn't worn, it's very possible the metal that is inset in the seat post has wear.

I've been lazy replacing mine, but I'm well aware that's where the play is coming from
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Seat Post/3T Difflock movement [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but the component in your link is the Difflock for oval rails (I believe some seats with titanim rails are oval). Most seats have round rails - the seat that came on my IA10 has round rails. For round rails you need this:

https://www.3t.bike/...round-rails-170.html
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Seat Post/3T Difflock movement [IM_Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Fizik Mistica Braided Carbon Rail
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For seats with carbon rails you likely have a Difflock for oval rails. In which case the link you provided in an earlier post is correct. (And check to see if you're current Difflock says 'OVAL RAILS' on it)

https://www.bikebling.com/...edium=shoppingengine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About to buy my third one in 2.5 years. Not over torqued. Not even moved but once from initial set up. Not FRUSTRATING at all. Can't believe Felt or 3T hasn't fixed this problem and helped us out. My alpha one bars had issues with a part they replaced it for everyone that purchased that model. Every one. That is customer care and service.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Seat Post/3T Difflock movement [rinliz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I go though the same thing, almost buying a new seat post. My LBS find out the new IA and AR have a new design on the seat holder, they put it on warranty. Problem fixed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the 3t Difflock and caps seems a bit pricey at around $50 upwards. Would anyone know offhand if the same mechanism is used on their other seat posts.
IE: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...b6xlUQhoC4PAQAvD_BwE

thanks
Nic
Quote Reply

Prev Next