Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt IA FRD worth the Premium?
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about getting a new Felt IA, still debating on disc or rim brake, but comparing the FRD model to the IA2 the cost is double. Looking at just the frames there's a $2k difference. Is the FRD frame really that much better than the IA2? Anyone have any experience with both of these bikes? Any feedback welcome. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA FRD worth the Premium? [BigByte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FRD has a lighter frame... but that does not mean much. Also dura ace, and some solid zipp wheels (the 2018 frd comes with zipp wheels that are too shallow imho). But if you already have good wheels, or want disc, the frd is less of a deal. The IA2 has 11s red etap and wheels that are only really good for training. So if you are starting from scratch and want to stay a bit conservative on rims, the FRD is a good bet. IF you have decent wheels already... the IA2 is solid (I am just not a fan of the colors of the IA2)

I went for the newer force etap disc brake bike because they came with wheels somewhat ideal for my weight and local wind situation. The front end also allows for a really nice mantis position. But of course I now want to try a rear disc. It is kind of the equivalent of the 2018 IA2, except with 12 speed force, a better (more adjustable) front end, and better wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This totally depends on your budget and priorities. I love premium stuff, and I would buy an FRD if I had the discretionary budget for it. It will not make you any faster.

The FRD uses lighter carbon and a more costly layup, so the frame is lighter and probably stiffer. That is the $2K difference in the frame from the standard models.

The other cost driver is groupset & wheels. The FRD is only offered fully loaded, so that is a massive price driver between it and top standard model.

The third cost driver is the halo pricing because it is their ne plus ultra bike. They are premium pricing to establish the brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from the first version IA FRD to 3 disc brake model last year. I like premium to but the 3 was a steal. Of course I changed the wheels and saddle but that is all. The new IA’s are way better than the original. Speed and climbing could not tell the difference but going down hill that is a whole different ball game. Glad I made the change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own an IA-10....I would go with an IA2/3 but not the FRD for the premium especially if you already have a set of race wheels. Save some money and spend it on ....I don't know.....Ceramic Speed lol :).....Seriously save your money.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply