Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt IA 105 vs. Cervelo P 105
Quote | Reply
Question - If you had to choose between the Felt IA or the Cervelo P series which one would you choose? The Cervelo is $3,200 and the Felt is $4,000. I have heard that the Felt is much more aero and will save watts but is it worth an extra $800? Or would it be best to buy the Cervelo and put that $800 into a smart trainer? Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA 105 vs. Cervelo P 105 [SoonerBorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without aero data on either, I trust cervelo to make a more aero bike than felt. P-series all the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely the P Series. Felt is probably faster (historically, the IA compares more against the P5 versus the down-level P Series), but it is not $800 faster. The IA 105 is a much greater value than the P5 with minor performance loss. The P Series is a much greater value than the IA with minor performance loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends if you like the Zipp aerobar/pads/extension shape and the brakes on the P-series 105 are about the worst cheap stuff as it comes. Very very weak, and just the little more expensive TRP slc’s are so much better.....
So the Felt is more expensive but no front disc brake cable exposed, better looks, better brakes, different aerobar shape, so it is a bit apples and oranges

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your fit numbers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go by what fits best, and what is available by the time you need it. Both are nice bikes. As a mid pack triathlete the slight aero difference wouldn't be big enough to have much of an impact on my race results.

Many bike models are back ordered right now so if I needed a bike right away I would go with what is available soonest assuming they both fit me well.

I havent ridden the new IA with Disc brakes but do own a rim brake IA and love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd buy the p-series, stick one of these on it https://www.tririg.com/store.php?c=alphaone, and have what is ostensibly a P5d for about 1/2 the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They'll both be close enough in terms of aero that how you feel about the bike mentally will make a bigger difference. And both come in a range of sizes to fit.

SO....buy the one you think looks the best. If you really like them equally, then I guess go with Cervelo and put the 800 towards better wheels.

Edit - one other small comparison - the cervelo bento box is likely better / more usable than Felt's. On the other hand, Felt comes with a rear storage box for flat kit etc., Cervelo does not have that option.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Apr 30, 21 15:23
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA 105 vs. Cervelo P 105 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd buy the one I think looks better as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't offer you any comparison because I've never owned a Cervelo. But I do own a Felt IA (rim brakes) and I have never regretted getting it, or wished I had gone with a different bike. There were 2 or 3 frames that were going to be the best fit for me based on my fit coordinates, but the Felt has been great for me. It's a blast to ride, and I do appreciate having the bento box for food, plus the rear storage box for tools/flat kit.

My only complaint is that my original IA was stolen, and when I replaced it the new model was a color I'm not a huge fan of. But the current color offerings are much better. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA 105 vs. Cervelo P 105 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
They'll both be close enough in terms of aero that how you feel about the bike mentally will make a bigger difference. And both come in a range of sizes to fit.

SO....buy the one you think looks the best. If you really like them equally, then I guess go with Cervelo and put the 800 towards better wheels.

Edit - one other small comparison - the cervelo bento box is likely better / more usable than Felt's. On the other hand, Felt comes with a rear storage box for flat kit etc., Cervelo does not have that option.

Why do you think the bento box is better on the Cervelo? My wife has an IA with the Calpac 2.0 and it's nice. It goes deep into the frame so I have a feeling it can hold more than the Cervelo version. They are both silicone on the top with slits, for easy access.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA 105 vs. Cervelo P 105 [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

Why do you think the bento box is better on the Cervelo? My wife has an IA with the Calpac 2.0 and it's nice. It goes deep into the frame so I have a feeling it can hold more than the Cervelo version. They are both silicone on the top with slits, for easy access.

Partly personal preference, but I have heard the same complaints that I have about the felt bento from others as well.

So main issue is that first few inches of it are somewhat shallow since the top tube is shallow at that point, but then other issue is the inside of frame/bento slopes towards the head tube, and that head tube area of the bento is near impossible to fish anything out of while riding. I had salt tabs in it for one race. Lesson learned, was shaking my bike upside down in transition to get them out...
Quote Reply