Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Having grown up competing long before heart rate watches and (much later) power meters were widely available, going by feel comes naturally. I.e, I don't use WK04, Strava, etc. I don't bother with the PMC. I just use it to train harder and set my match burning limit.

Me too, but I can tell you for sure that if I was still training and racing the way I was in the 1980's then I probably would have lost interest in the process a long time ago and moved on to something else. Experimenting with new approaches and different ways of looking at things - especially when they make me question what I think is "right" - keeps things interesting to me. Not jumping on every new bandwagon, but looking hard at the new approaches and tools to glean what's valuable from them. I like to always keep learning and growing. To each their own though.

HuffNPuff wrote:
Perhaps I would be better if I used all these tools as if it were my job instead of my hobby.

Keep in mind some of the contributors to this thread are coaches, sports scientists, or other researchers for whom this type of constantly seeking/developing better tools is their job.
Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another PPP of mine is that "training is testing and testing is training."

(I would recommend only changing your FTP in 5 W increments, though, as it's hard to pin it down any more precisely than that.)
Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what if you could determine FTP based on a 3 min test? You seem to be pretty dismissive about that possibility but yet you are not arguing why the Xert guy is wrong. Empirically his stuff seems to work pretty well at estimating the same results you would get from a 20 min test.
FTP for training is not a full proof approach anyway especially for triathlon. I could test with the best protocol known to man and still have a different actual FTP every day of the week dependent on how much swim bike run fatigue i have in my legs, if I had a good night sleep or not, if I am well hydrated, if it hot or humid or dry etc. So training by your super scientific method which says I need to do 5 x 5 min @ 120% FTP is bullshit if my FTP is 20w higher or lower that particular day.

Kiwicoach wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
Kiwicoach wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
I never understand why most even care.

Most folks would be way further ahead if they just did frequency, consistancy, duration.

Exactly, although I would note that consistency in testing for FTP is useful, especially when applying that to proper training intensity depending on the workout objective. Meanwhile, this thread has degenerated into an esoteric discussion between Kiwicoach and Coggan regarding proper testing for world class athletes. At that level, yeah, they should be getting it right. But for those of us in the geezer divisions the hair splitting on FTP is just not that important.

I guess a few things in that.

Does the average rider not deserve to benefit from what we learn from training high performance athletes. Just because someone won the genetic lottery does that that make their goals any more important than yours?

Every Rec Rider or Cat 3-5/C-E rider I coach who owns a power meter wants to make the most out of the tool to guide their riding. Most often to maximise their cycling time to fit around a busy lifestyle.

As mentioned above, the bastardisation of the term, concept and application of FTP for all cyclists.

Also I see no one got the joke in the naming of the thread. Speaking of bastardisation of power meter training metrics :)

I use a powermeter. The biggest benefit for me is that it forces me to work harder in training. For long course racing I mostly ignore my power meter except in setting an upper limit to avoid burning matches. And for my AG, I think it's fair to say I'm a FOP rider.

Yes, it would be great for average riders to benefit from your knowledge. But in my opinion, you need to get out of the tech-blather if you want the average person to absorb what you are saying. Instead of the mini treatise, I would have simply argued that 5 hr power is the more important measure for IM than the FTP you get from a 20 min test, but that doesn't mean I can't use the latter for most training intensities. Meanwhile, I just want to ride and train without needing to pick up a second PhD ... hence, the bastardization you see.

And no, I don't get the joke in the title even with you hinting that there is one.

Not sure what was tech blatherty about my response. But can you appreciate my frustration when trying to outline this stuff to people so they appreciate their $500-$10,000 investment in a power meter when people say you can determine FTP from a 3min test.

Re 5hr power. Andy has pointed out many times that FTP relates well to power from a track pursuit all the way out to an ironman bike ride. I would add that no two Ironman's are the same and using some form of standard starting point to map out the build up to race day. Also that from 30min outwards the power duration curve tends to flatten out a lot.

I am teaching my riders to go by feel and use power as a guideline to monitor their effort. Advice to some is to go harder, advice to most is to go easier.

While I use WKO4 to crunch the data I did recommend to one weekend warrior that the metrics in Strava were fine for what he wanted to do. Shame that they, like many, don't acknowledge where they got the ideas for thresholds and performance managers from.
Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Shame that they, like many, don't acknowledge where they got the ideas for thresholds and performance managers from.

Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Copy, but in my defense the thread title is not what you would use if you want to start an academic discussion.
Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Seems to work pretty well

Says who? We know one person really really really believes it works.

And, compared to what? What is the Gold Standard of threshold estimation.

And when you say it works well, what is your performance criteria? Now I don't think having a well estimated threshold has any impact on performance, so curious to know how you think it "works".

Those who claim that XERT overestimates their FTP get told they didn't do it right.

I mentioned above, several times now that no two races are ever the same so obviously concur that a well estimated threshold is only the start of the plan for training and for race day and you still have to use the noodle to get the best performance possible.

Armando seems to claim that XERT will do all this for you. I call bullshit on that.

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Last edited by: Kiwicoach: Dec 28, 17 15:44
Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ferg wrote:
Shame that they, like many, don't acknowledge where they got the ideas for thresholds and performance managers from.

I happily stand corrected. Well played Strava.

Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Copy, but in my defense the thread title is not what you would use if you want to start an academic discussion.

A. I'm not an academic.

B. FYI

Quote:
Thanks TriowaCPA. Feels like a knife to the heart everytime I read about someone doing an FTP test. Thanks for helping spread the word. Note that the latest iteration of Xert's algorithm incorporates some of the things we've learned from the What's My FTP? implementation. Users should see better analysis. So even if you don't have a Garmin device, using our web app will also provide you similar values for your FTP. Cheers.

Armando Mastracci

Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
how should the average cyclist estimate than?
Just do the full hour. It's not that much more difficult and you will get a much more accurate estimate.
Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
natethomas wrote:
I did 4x15’ at around what I thought was my FTP with 1’ spin in between each. The resulting watts for an hour was two under my initial estimate

Deadly sin #6 is my favorite as well:

http://lists.topica.com/...e.html?mid=910290920

I didn’t realize you troll other sites too
Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't get around much, do you?
Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

(I would recommend only changing your FTP in 5 W increments, though, as it's hard to pin it down any more precisely than that.)

This has me wondering. If we do FTP in 5 W increments, how sensitive are we to be to our weight? For example, it doesn't seem to be so sensitive (unless you say so) to change it for every pound we drop. Would you update rider weight gain/loss in 5 pound increments or when?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

This has me wondering. If we do FTP in 5 W increments, how sensitive are we to be to our weight? For example, it doesn't seem to be so sensitive (unless you say so) to change it for every pound we drop. Would you update rider weight gain/loss in 5 pound increments or when?

We have a very accessible, reliable and valid way of tracking weight. FTP testing is not as accessible and reliable and i'm not even going into the validity.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
We have a very accessible, reliable and valid way of tracking weight. FTP testing is not as accessible and reliable and i'm not even going into the validity.

Well I value it, FTP, as a tool.

I used to "race" my training only going by the clock. Which isn't a very wise thing to do.

With tools like watts, IF, NP, etc. that takes into account weight, etc., I can still know that I had a good training day without setting a PB. They allow me to see that although my time, due to conditions, wasn't there, the training effort was good. Like wise, it helps me slow down effort wise when I need to slow it down for recovery.

Don't know about the "validity" that you are talking about. It may not be a perfect measurement; yet, it's worth using as a guide, is readily available and generally understood if not perfectly understood.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

I have never really thought about it (as I only weigh myself quite rarely), but what you say makes sense, i.e., you should ignore the noise and only respond to the signal.

Now precisely how much of a change qualifies as the latter instead of the former is a somewhat different question, the answer to which probably varies with the individual.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Dec 30, 17 4:44
Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
FTP testing is not as accessible and reliable and i'm not even going into the validity.

That's hilarious. It's the most valid measurement of power at maximal steady-state possible. Anything else is merely a predictor (some better, some worse).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:

Not accessible?

Who can't ride for an hour, can't rest a day before, can't fuel up, can't go hard for an hour. Can't do a sprint, can't do 1min maximal, 5min maximal and 30-40min maximal.

Not reliable?

Where is your data to support that comment? I have numerous riders in tempo, sst and threshold phases of their cycling training at present, riding at a percentage of their ftp and the efforts are spot on. Any changes in performances reflect the individual (lack of sleep, poor diet, poor recovery, doing too much), not the ftp number.

Not valid?

"The best predictor of performance is performance itself". What is a more valid predictor of endurance performance than a test involving going hard for a prolonged duration.

Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Urrrrgggghhhh

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319947872_Cycling_Power_Outputs_Predict_Functional_Threshold_Power_And_Maximum_Oxygen_Uptake

A study using 95% of 20min as FTP :(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A knife to the heart? Really?

Im not big on hyperbolae. so i'll just go with it pisses me off when people open bullshit threads to promote some product or other that they may or may not be aligned with. My FTP will never be modeled in WK04, I prefer to knife you in the heart.
Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess you are also too lazy to read the posts in the thread where I explain the choice of title and declare that I have no financial interest in TrainingPeaks or WKO4.

I would expect someone so lazy will never have any data worth modelling in WKO4.

bazilbrush wrote:
A knife to the heart? Really?

Im not big on hyperbolae. so i'll just go with it pisses me off when people open bullshit threads to promote some product or other that they may or may not be aligned with. My FTP will never be modeled in WK04, I prefer to knife you in the heart.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm unclear which of your 11 posts explains the "knife to the heart" sensation. I don't think Dr Coggan explained it either, in his multiple posts. I recognize you claim no financial interest in TrainingPeaks or WK04, just like you might recognize that i wrote "may or may not be aligned with".

My data may be unworthy, we will never know. I'm fine with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Feels like a knife to the heart every time someone misuses the concept of FTP and how you test it. [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bazilbrush wrote:
I'm unclear which of your 11 posts explains the "knife to the heart" sensation. I don't think Dr Coggan explained it either, in his multiple posts. I recognize you claim no financial interest in TrainingPeaks or WK04, just like you might recognize that i wrote "may or may not be aligned with".

My data may be unworthy, we will never know. I'm fine with that.

Post 51

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Post 51

Post 51 isnt by you.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those with friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bazilbrush wrote:
Quote:
Post 51

Post 51 isnt by you.

Indeed it isn't, try 58.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Post 51 isnt by you.
Indeed it isn't, try 58.

I'm surprised someone so sloppy can analyze data in WK04.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those with friends.
Quote Reply

Prev Next