Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FeedBack Requested: 3T Aerobar Clamps
Quote | Reply
All,
If you have 3T Brezza, Aura, or Ventus bars, please see the pictures below. I received a pair of prototype aerobar clamps. They are designed to allow you to increase the pad width on your aerobars. I have not tried them yet, but the construction is very well done and they appear to be ready for prime time.

I do not know if they will be a 2012 addition or not, but I am going to send a link to this thread to 3T. I know that several of you have asked for information on how to make the armrests wider. For those who will ask...I do NOT have a weight comparison of these vs. the normal clamps, but they are heavier. From my measurements, they will let you make your pads approximately 10cm wider in total, 5cm on each side.

[EDIT] Is this something you would like to see 3T offer? I know that several of the dealers at the Cervelo BRAIN Bike meeting in July were concerned about the current allowable armrest width on 3T bars...this would alleviate those concerns.

Thanks.
-Brandon

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Last edited by: -Tex: Nov 22, 11 10:43
Quote Reply
Re: FeedBack Requested: 3T Aerobar Clamps [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And... What type of feedback are you looking for? From the sounds of it, you're the only one that has them. You should be giving us feedback!

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am somewhat confused in terms of the Ventus. With the Ventus you could already adjust the width of the aero cups with the old clamps (both 1st and 2nd generation). Do these clamps give you some kind of additional adjustment? Can you now adjust aero bars independent of cups?

What is missing from the Ventus is the ability to angle the aero bars. Either up and down or closer or wider. Do these new clamps give you this ability? Personally I would really like the ability to angle my aero bars up.

I will tell you the 2nd generation Ventus clamps are a huge improvement over the 1st generation. One big thing is that the 2nd generation is metal. I guess these would be the 3rd generation.
Last edited by: bartturner: Nov 22, 11 10:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested, I did the DIY option with Zipp's Vuka Pad Wing Extensions, 3T's setup is too narrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running standard 3T clamps at the moment on the 2nd narrowest slot.. so not really interested. Looks like a solid option for plenty of folks, though.

Coaching - Future Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm running the Brezza II and I have the pads in the 3rd widest setting so I can still go wider with the current setup and do not have a need for wider clamps.

If 3T is reading this, I really think they should offer the wider "comfort" cradles and pads with all of their aerobars. Like many I switched to the comfort pads on the Brezza and like those much more than the standard compact ones.

ZOOT ULTRA Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
these would be great. I am running the first generation brezza. I think they need longer bolts to help stabilize the clamps on the basebar. The only ones that seem to fit right now barely engage the threads.
Quote Reply
Re: FeedBack Requested: 3T Aerobar Clamps [alui] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would use them if they were available (on a Ventus).

-------
Joe

Quote Reply
Re: FeedBack Requested: 3T Aerobar Clamps [Joe C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm running the 3t Breeza with the setting at the widest option. I still feel it is too narrow. Had a mishap just prior to Kona where the clamp holding the aero extension failed. 3T made good on the replacement which has been re-engineered to provide a more stable connection. Since they now offer the replacement it leads me to believe I wasn't the only one this has happened to. I definitely would be interested in having more space between my arms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: FeedBack Requested: 3T Aerobar Clamps [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I don't know if they will fit on the original ventus bars. I have never used the Ventus, and have not really looked at one up close.

I will pass a link to this thread on to the folks at 3T. I'll also summarize the feedback in it and email them. Thanks for those who have replied so far.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Ventus bars, and when the pads are as close together as possible, the angle of the pads is wrong. There isn't enough external support. You have to be focused on not having your forearm slipping off to the outside. Having been in the wind tunnel, I know for me, narrower is faster.
Quote Reply
Re: FeedBack Requested: 3T Aerobar Clamps [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reviving this old thread....

dude I would LOVE these for my Ventus bars... as well as some fore/aft reach adjustibility for the arm rests.

I can currently move the extensions fore/aft, but not the extensions.

do you know anything about these? 3T Armrest Fore/Aft Adjustment Clamps

Thanks,
Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: FeedBack Requested: 3T Aerobar Clamps [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I don't have my 3T contact anymore...so I'm not sure what came of the new clamps I posted, but Amy has been using them with no issues at all.

For the clamps that you posted, they look like they would slide over the extensions so that you can move the armrests further forward or back and are not limited to having the armrests in line with the basebar. I wish I had a pair of these, they would replace my ghetto'd profile armpads that I put behind the clamps built onto the Brezza basebar that I have so my pads were behind the basebar.

Does that make sense? I wanted my pads BEHIND the basebar, so I ghetto'd a pair of profile pads and clamps to do it. These would solve that problem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds good, but I need MORE reach, not less unfortunately. And only like a cm or two, so putting some Profile clamps on in front of the existing 3T pad/extension clamp combo that the Venus has would be way to much reach, if I'm understanding correctly how you did it. Would be nice to see a pic of what you did.

I think I'm looking into replacement arm rests... too bad the 3T comfort clamps on the widest setting leave less than a nanometer of room to work with for my dremmel, so I think I'd need a different arm rest that I could drill or dremmel.

Having said that, they sell Amy's wider armrest adjuster on the 3T website as well.. maybe I could buy both, as I could probably use about 1cm on each side wider.

Finally, can't really tell from the picture how those armrest fore/aft adjustment clamps work, so I'm hesistant to drop $70 plus shipping to find out.

You riding Ventus or Brezza? Edit: reading comprehension.

thanks,
Eric

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericM35-39: Aug 23, 12 15:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take a picture and post to this post later.

What you posted here...and in the other/new thread. I 'suspect' what you do is remove the extensions. Since you need more reach, you would put these on the extension in front of the current clamp. There is a little 3mm allen head screw that will clamp down on the extensions to hold this clamp in place. Then you place the pads on the two screws that are on the 'bottom' of the picture you posted. These clamps look like they are posted upside down. The 2 allen head screws go on the top and the pads go there.

If you needed less reach, place these clamps behind the current pad clamps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for that. I'll do a better analysis when I get home and can lay hands on the mighty Ventus bars.

Appreciate the pic too, thanks.

eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever end up getting the two clamp sets and moving your pads forward?

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could the recommendation be made to 3T to make their clamps more solid-feeling?

The extensions on every bike I've seen that has the Aura/Brezza/Ventus feel very loose compared to my old vision tech cockpit. I would like to assume that the clamp has been engineered well enough to safely and securely bear the loads applied by the rider, it just seems to me that the clamp doesn't feel as solid as it should. To see what I mean, grab the aerobars and squeeze them together near the shift levers...they have a LOT of play, and it isn't just due to the extensions themselves flexing. Several times I've done this the extension clamp actually shifted as I squeezed them, and I'm not squeezing hard at all--it only takes a small amount of force. I do the same thing on my bike which has a Vision Tech aluminum cockpit and I get none of the same. As an '08 P2 owner, I've had the desire to upgrade to something lighter since the partial carbon 3T cockpit looks nice and is lust-worthy in appearance, but the flimsy feel to the 3T extensions/clamp was enough to dissuade me from purchasing either the Aura or the Brezza, even at roughly 50% discount off MSRP. As an employee of a shop that sells bikes that come with 3T cockpits, I look at the present design as a detriment to the value of the bike, rather than a selling point.

I'm not trying to trash 3T here, but this is a legitimate concern of mine.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually made some spacers/adapters/intermediate pieces (not sure how to classify them) that allowed me to move the whole clamp/extensions/pads setup 1cm and 2cm forward for more reach. I can take some pictures tonight. They are pretty simple aluminum blocks. The only downside is they raise everything up 1cm. I was running a 1cm spacer before so this did not bother me. Put a bunch of miles and a few races on them and had no issues.

I actually have some designed that match the airfoil shape of the current ones but never made them. Maybe this winter.

-Mike

-Mike

Vertex Fit Systems (http://www.vertexfitsystems.com) | Bikeworks (http://www.bikeworksma.com) | Russo Racing (http://www.r2tri.com)
Quote Reply
Re: FeedBack Requested: 3T Aerobar Clamps [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3T sells a 'Clamp Conversion Kit' to upgrade the first generation Ventus and Brezza to the latest clamps that I 'think' is supposed to help with this. It consists of the clamps plus plates that 3T told me need to glued onto the bar. These plates have a slot in them that I am guessing receive a boss from the clamp to prevent rotation. I keep meaning to order these to try but have not yet. So maybe this is a solution but I am not sure.

-Mike

-Mike

Vertex Fit Systems (http://www.vertexfitsystems.com) | Bikeworks (http://www.bikeworksma.com) | Russo Racing (http://www.r2tri.com)
Quote Reply
Re: FeedBack Requested: 3T Aerobar Clamps [m.medeiros] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure they help, I am not sure they are 100% successful. I have the MkII with those bosses effectively built in and still have trouble with the bars. I 'resolved' it by having a Profile Design computer mount (long version) which is just the right size to stop the extensions moving toward each other. That and a bit of carbon paste has held them in check. The design needs improving if you want to avoid the bi-monthly readjusting and tightening of the clamps.

Notice that the official 3T computer mount actually attaches to both extensions? :) Good reason for that me thinks. Holds them in place.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the newer version Why oh why are the 3mm allen keys both on the inside of the extension supports rather than the outside. They're pretty much impossible to access easily.
Quote Reply
Re: FeedBack Requested: 3T Aerobar Clamps [tim_sleepless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have been that way on every pair that I have had. Man, this is an oldish thread! It has something to do with the way the clams are machined and where the armrest mount holes are. I had asked their engineer about this a summer 2011. He said they couldn't really change it for some reason. I ground down a 3mm allen key and carry it with me.

Quote Reply
Re: FeedBack Requested: 3T Aerobar Clamps [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the extenders but didn't like them... basically you mount them forward of the existing mounts sliding them over the extensions... they aren't integrated with the current ones.

Instead, I just drilled new holes in my 3T pads and gained about 3cm of reach that way. If I had to do it again, I'd probably use aluminum ones, but so far so good.

I can take a pic if you like, of both the drilling and the ones I didn't use

Quote Reply

Prev Next