Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Favourite race-day running shoe?
Quote | Reply
What are folks using for race-day running shoes?
Looking for something easy to slip on, neutral, and comfortable.
Have been using the Nike Lunaracer 3's but they stopped making them a few years ago.
Love those shoes - light, cushiony, neutral and easy to slip on.
Sprint - 1/2 IM distance.

Thanks
- Twain
Last edited by: twain: Jul 7, 19 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite race-day running shoe? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On Cloudflow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salming Race. Awesome shoe; pretty much a flat but I'm comfortable using them for 1/2 IM or even longer.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saucony kinvara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike Next seems to be trending with the pros at Roth...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race in the same shoes I train in.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite race-day running shoe? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saucony Type A8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still use my Lunar Racers up to oly, but go with the Nike Epic React Flyknit for 70.3. It’s reasonably light at 7.5oz., super cushioned, and slips on with the laces tied (knit sock upper with no tongue).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Favourite race-day running shoe? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4% with elastic laces
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite race-day running shoe? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I still use my Lunar Racers up to oly, but go with the Nike Epic React Flyknit for 70.3. It’s reasonably light at 7.5oz., super cushioned, and slips on with the laces tied (knit sock upper with no tongue).

I have some Nike Epic React shoes; the heel cup is too shallow for me, esp if I have an orthotic in. But thanks for the idea.

Such a bummer that Lunar Racers are no longer made; I bought a pair off Ebay last year; they must have been a knock off. Sole is firmer and the fit is tighter even though the same size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adidas Adizero Adios Boost. On my second pair now - keep them purely for races and love them! They work perfectly for me from anything from 5k to full marathon.

I obviously wouldn't mind trying the Nike 4% or Next% if the price tags weren't so off-putting.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: Favourite race-day running shoe? [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BungleJapan wrote:
Adidas Adizero Adios Boost. On my second pair now - keep them purely for races and love them! They work perfectly for me from anything from 5k to full marathon.

I obviously wouldn't mind trying the Nike 4% or Next% if the price tags weren't so off-putting.

Thanks for bringing these up. I used to race in Adizero Adios; sweet shoe. When they went to that new foam material I tested them but they made my knees hurt.
That said, might be worth trying again.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite race-day running shoe? [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tried these but the sole is way too thin imo, lower legs seem to take quite the beating running in them. Love my Kinvara's tho
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
What are folks using for race-day running shoes?
Looking for something easy to slip on, neutral, and comfortable.
Have been using the Nike Lunaracer 3's but they stopped making them a few years ago.
Love those shoes - light, cushiony, neutral and easy to slip on.
Sprint - 1/2 IM distance.

Thanks
- Twain

Saucony Fastwitch
Nike Streak
Sketchers Razor 3

are the three closest comps to lunarracers on the market. I am a lunarracer nerd and raced with all versions. These three are the closest substitutes I have come up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite race-day running shoe? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Did you weigh these or that is manufacturer quote?

I bought a digital scale to weigh all my shoes and found the manufacturer quotes to be WAY off. Worst were v1 of the non 4% nikes whatever these were called. These were 9.7 oz. ON Clouds are total pigs, too. AFAIK there is no flat <6.4 oz regardless of what manufacturer claims although I have not weighed the super light reeboks or Adidas which might
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same as I train in, New Balance Beacon. Nice cushion and very light, 7.5oz for US size 9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Razor 3. Tried 25 different shoes and these worked best for me. Very happy....aside from aesthetics.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite race-day running shoe? [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Did you weigh these or that is manufacturer quote?

I bought a digital scale to weigh all my shoes and found the manufacturer quotes to be WAY off. Worst were v1 of the non 4% nikes whatever these were called. These were 9.7 oz. ON Clouds are total pigs, too. AFAIK there is no flat <6.4 oz regardless of what manufacturer claims although I have not weighed the super light reeboks or Adidas which might

They come in at 8.04 and 8.42oz respectively on my scale in size 9.5. I'm always amazed at the variation between two shoes in a se (saw the same thing with my Freedoms ISOs)t; you would think mfg tolerances would be tighter.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Distances <13.1: Brooks Launch
Distances >13.1: Brooks Ghost
Quote Reply
Re: Favourite race-day running shoe? [runnerak47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Listen, you millionaires...Zoot Ultra TT 7.0. Clearance at $35. Carbon sole plate and other super fast design features way before the unobtainum Nike Vaporfly 4%. Thank me later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To the Vaporfly haters: I have raced twice in them. Same races, one year later, and shaved 9% and 6% respectively off my run times. For me that is bang for the buck. Dunno if it is technology or psychology, but it has paid off.
Quote Reply
Re: Favourite race-day running shoe? [Terrordact] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrordact wrote:
Razor 3. Tried 25 different shoes and these worked best for me. Very happy....aside from aesthetics.

+1 to the Skechers Razor 3. I use them for any run up to 10K. I haven't tried them in a 1/2 marathon or 70.3, but I plan to do a few long runs in them to see how my feet hold up in them for longer distances.

I also have a pair of the Gorun Ride 7's that I bought for ~$70 at the Houston Marathon expo. Great daily runner. Skechers seems to be pretty underrated when it comes to running shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Favourite race-day running shoe? [FedeleTemperini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are big %s, congrats. How much of would you guess is down to being fitter? I suppose the other part is what shoe were you running in? I wonder how many people ran in a big, heavy shoe and this is just the first shoe that tempted them into something lighter and faster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbon Rockets
Tracer 2

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adidas adios

unless a 5k then nke zoom LT streaks