Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [bombagrande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Downloaded Fight Club last night and riding it tonight.

Very nice Excel spreadsheet tool for creating the ERG files. If you're using the default times built into the spreadsheet, what is it doing when it's going through the instructions. I quickly scanned through the video last night and after the 5:00 warmup there are a bunch of instructions and looking at the ERG file there is no break at that point. Are you supposed to pause during those or continue riding?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [dalessit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalessit wrote:
Downloaded Fight Club last night and riding it tonight.

Very nice Excel spreadsheet tool for creating the ERG files. If you're using the default times built into the spreadsheet, what is it doing when it's going through the instructions. I quickly scanned through the video last night and after the 5:00 warmup there are a bunch of instructions and looking at the ERG file there is no break at that point. Are you supposed to pause during those or continue riding?

You keep riding; typically the instructions happen during the "recovery" period, so you will stay at that wattage until the begining of the interval. I always ride through it as I need the recovery time! Have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bombagrande wrote:
So my first answer to this was Local Hero + Extra Shot. That is easily my go workout. However, I missed most of a hilly training ride recently due to a shredded rear tire (Lesson: ALWAYS carry an extra in the car!).

Therefore, when enough anger is stimulated, I recommend Angels + The Hunted + Extra Shot. This combo can be summed up as: race pace hill repeats + a 20 minute uphill TT + salt in your wounds. You will climb, you will suffer.

I won Angels and The Hunted; I can't imagine doing them back to back at this time of the year! I'm usually pretty toast after the 3rd hill repeat in Angels.

I did my first outdoor ride in a long time this past weekend and I was shocked how good I felt after doing only the trainer and some of these video workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [iscorpchazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like "touching the void"for a sufferfest vid.....but I don't do trainer workouts, so I only ever watch it from the couch. :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [alexaqui] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexaqui wrote:
bombagrande wrote:
So my first answer to this was Local Hero + Extra Shot. That is easily my go workout. However, I missed most of a hilly training ride recently due to a shredded rear tire (Lesson: ALWAYS carry an extra in the car!).

Therefore, when enough anger is stimulated, I recommend Angels + The Hunted + Extra Shot. This combo can be summed up as: race pace hill repeats + a 20 minute uphill TT + salt in your wounds. You will climb, you will suffer.

I won Angels and The Hunted; I can't imagine doing them back to back at this time of the year! I'm usually pretty toast after the 3rd hill repeat in Angels.

I did my first outdoor ride in a long time this past weekend and I was shocked how good I felt after doing only the trainer and some of these video workouts.

Agreed! That 3rd climb is killer. I did angels a couple of days ago and ended up with an IF of 1.09! I guess I need to bump the FTP up a little. My goal on the last 8min. climb is to hold my wattage at 115% of FTP.

I can't imagine doing another video after this.

bonesbrigade wrote:
alexaqui wrote:
bombagrande wrote:

Agreed! That 3rd climb is killer. I did angels a couple of days ago and ended up with an IF of 1.09! I guess I need to bump the FTP up a little. My goal on the last 8min. climb is to hold my wattage at 115% of FTP.

I can't imagine doing another video after this.

I cheat... I use the Computrainer in erg mode, so I just have to keep the pedals going over fast enough to keep the speed at which the computrainer will work. I normally just put my head down and pray I don't get a heart attack!
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [tmeisky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks so much for this spreadsheet! just using this as a ref. in erg mode is awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [sweet_wtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad it was helpful. I waver back and forth between helpful and evil.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are insane! That is all I have to say. That is a crazy workout.
Now, for the videos that in the hour realm, I used to think fight club was my goto one as far as difficulty, but now, after "the spreadsheet," the hunted and angels just simply produce more kJ for me in that hour time slot. I just found the punishment in fight club more fun, but now I guess thats because its easier. Angels tonight and I'm not looking forward to it. But I love how my ftp has jumped this winter.

bombagrande wrote:

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be honest, in my 2 years of cycling, I've not been that good at doing bike workouts. Even when following the Spinnerval DVDs, I usually don't think that I really ever dug deep and maximized the effort.

Well, Today, I did my first Sufferfest video. I did Angels coupled with the Trainer Road App. The combination of the Sufferfest video and the onscreen metrics from the trainer road app definitely brought my cycling to another level.

I did my best to follow the cadence recommendation from the video and the personalized power target from the app. The combination of the two are the missing link for me.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bonesbrigade wrote:
I did angels a couple of days ago and ended up with an IF of 1.09! I guess I need to bump the FTP up a little.

Just started doing Sufferfest videos the last couple of weeks and had a similar experience.
I got Fight Club, Local Hero and Hell Hath no Fury. My second time trying Fight Club I
ended up with an IF of 1.1. Oops, guess the ole FTP was wrong. I'm amazed at how good
these videos are at motivating me to go harder than I used to go on the trainer.

I'm thinking of getting Angels or The Hunted next. Seems likely I'll eventually end up with both ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
bonesbrigade wrote:
I did angels a couple of days ago and ended up with an IF of 1.09! I guess I need to bump the FTP up a little.

Just started doing Sufferfest videos the last couple of weeks and had a similar experience.
I got Fight Club, Local Hero and Hell Hath no Fury. My second time trying Fight Club I
ended up with an IF of 1.1. Oops, guess the ole FTP was wrong. I'm amazed at how good
these videos are at motivating me to go harder than I used to go on the trainer.

I'm thinking of getting Angels or The Hunted next. Seems likely I'll eventually end up with both ;)

I have all the videos, and I seem to keep going back to Angels - the 3rd climb (the last one) is a killer!

Are you using the excel file (linked earlier in the thread) for power levels? If so, the whole last climb is way over FTP - I can't actually complete it at the power "suggested". I merely try to do the 8min. climb at as close to 110% of FTP as possible.

bonesbrigade wrote:
jbank wrote:
bonesbrigade wrote:

I have all the videos, and I seem to keep going back to Angels - the 3rd climb (the last one) is a killer!

Are you using the excel file (linked earlier in the thread) for power levels? If so, the whole last climb is way over FTP - I can't actually complete it at the power "suggested". I merely try to do the 8min. climb at as close to 110% of FTP as possible.

I haven't been using the spreadsheet. I've toyed with using GoldenCheetah in "Train" mode, but don't
have everything setup yet with the videos and downloaded ergdb files on the same box. So far I play
my sufferfest stuff on a tv hooked up to an xbox, not through a laptop or computer. I've just been using
an approximate 7/10 = 100% ftp, 8/10=110%. Anything harder is whatever I can manage ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Downloaded Angels and tried it out with the GoldenCheetah integration.
Pretty cool, although there were a few downsides (one of which was a
small laptop screen). I think I need to play with the layout to be able
to see the video and more of the little widgets showing things like the
graph of your power, etc. GC seems to have some sort of slider that
scales the power levels independent of your FTP (or CP) and I think I
may have slid that by accident, so I thought the suggested target power
levels were a bit low, but the sync of target power changes with the
video was perfect and a nice addition (I could look at the screen the
whole time instead of at my head unit). I ended up with an IF of .93
and managed the last climb at at average power of 113% FTP. I'm
thinking that suggests I'm still sandbagging my FTP a little.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find that when doing Fight Club in TrainerRoad, the syncronization between the 2 seems to be about 4 seconds off....the Sufferfest video is about 4 seconds ahead of the TrainerRoad profile. Both start as soon as I start pedaling, so any idea how to fix this?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [StlTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StlTri wrote:
I find that when doing Fight Club in TrainerRoad, the syncronization between the 2 seems to be about 4 seconds off....the Sufferfest video is about 4 seconds ahead of the TrainerRoad profile. Both start as soon as I start pedaling, so any idea how to fix this?

Sorry, can't help on that front. I haven't tried TrainerRoad yet. It looks really cool,
but since I had already been using GoldenCheetah for the last year for tracking
my training I thought I would try it first before trying out TrainerRoad. I suspect
if you ask on a TrainerRoad thread here you'll get an answer pretty quick, I think
one of the guys who developed it hangs out here and seems pretty responsive.

I can imagine that lack of sync would be really annoying!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post your concerns on the trainerroad thread. Nate will respond.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StlTri wrote:

I think you did post this in the other thread, but I think we have our file messed up. Reid's going to go through that video and tweak it. I also have to do some code work so it stays in sync if you "jump ahead" in the workout. So if you click in the workout and want to start the video some where in the middle.

It has to do with key frames and our workout ticks...kinda complicated.

The good news is that if we fix our workout times it should be good if you start the workout from the beginning.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
StlTri wrote:

I think you did post this in the other thread, but I think we have our file messed up. Reid's going to go through that video and tweak it. I also have to do some code work so it stays in sync if you "jump ahead" in the workout. So if you click in the workout and want to start the video some where in the middle.

It has to do with key frames and our workout ticks...kinda complicated.

The good news is that if we fix our workout times it should be good if you start the workout from the beginning.

thanks, on the bright side, I did the Hunted earlier today and it was synced up perfectly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. This tells me it's just a workout issue and not a code issue. We'll get it fixed.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fyi....Downward Spiral has be remastered and 20% off for 48 hours

http://www.thesufferfest.com/...20-off-for-48-hours/

well worth the price.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [GAscott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have experience "stacking" these videos for IM training? I'm confined to the trainer for most of the year.

I have all the videos except extra shot: the long scream... I'm thinking hell hath no fury + angels might be a great "long ride". I'll find out tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In order from awesome to more awesome - Charlie Brown's Christmas, Lady and the Tramp, Puff the Magic Dragon. My indoor workouts will never be boring again.

Formally known on ST as: Pork_Weener, Rooster_Nutz, and Pants_FarmStrong

Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [AwesomePossum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warm up on track with the warm up from angels then VO2 work from revolver ( not 10/10 - 4/10 effort but 100 % VO2 max power for a minute then 1 min " rest" at 70 % VO2 max power ) - try for 10 or until you blow - quick warm down with the 4 min fast DH off the hunted then 2 * 20 off HHNF or do the 20 min climb from " The Hunted " twice.

ouch

BC
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [bc22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bc22 wrote:
Warm up on track with the warm up from angels then VO2 work from revolver ( not 10/10 - 4/10 effort but 100 % VO2 max power for a minute then 1 min " rest" at 70 % VO2 max power ) - try for 10 or until you blow - quick warm down with the 4 min fast DH off the hunted then 2 * 20 off HHNF or do the 20 min climb from " The Hunted " twice.

ouch

BC
That sounds... brilliant. In a very sick kind of way.
Quote Reply

Prev Next