Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFWTri wrote:
Havent done Revolver/HHNF/Very Dark Place yet...though coming up.

Three hardest i thought so far were in order 1. Angels, 2. FightClub, 3.Local Hero. Run on a CT in ergmode on Golden Cheetah, so there is no let up.

The last interval of Angels based on my FTP was a killer, 8min @ FTP*1.15 to 1.30 was by far the hardsest of any set so far.

Last night was the first time I attempted to use the watts as a guide for a sufferfest video. I chose Angels as my test video, as it's the one I'm most familiar with. I found it quite challenging, but not killer- well until I hit the last set! I was very humbled and actually could not complete the workout after 2 min. of the 8 min. set.

This made me question if I've set my FTP a little too high for this time of year, or is the last set a little unrealisitic, as it has you doing 8min. of work between 110 - 130% of your FTP without a rest?

The Borne Trilogy
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been setting my max down to 130% and recalculating the .erg file. It could depend on how reliable your FTP value is and what kind of fatigue you have. I lowered the nbr before i did Revolver a bit after coming off a stomach flu and i wasnt able to do more than 50% of the workout. Make sure you are calibrating before the ride also, no way i can finish at the default of 2.0.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I already reduced the max to 130%, but even at that rate the whole 8min. set is between 110 to 130%. I don't know about you, but in season I wouldn't do an interval at that length coupled with that intensity. Ha, maybe I need to HTFU!

I'll try a 2x20 session at 95% this week to get a better sense if my FTP is in the ballpark of what I think it is.

cheers.

Mike, thanks for this. I will likely purchase the sufferfest videos now as an alternative to what the base CT offers. Don't know how I missed this posting earlier.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [iscorpchazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Fight Club, love it.
Also have A Dark Place, and Extra Shot.
Gonna download a new one tonight. Maybe Hunted...
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bonesbrigade wrote:
DFWTri wrote:
Havent done Revolver/HHNF/Very Dark Place yet...though coming up.

Three hardest i thought so far were in order 1. Angels, 2. FightClub, 3.Local Hero. Run on a CT in ergmode on Golden Cheetah, so there is no let up.

The last interval of Angels based on my FTP was a killer, 8min @ FTP*1.15 to 1.30 was by far the hardsest of any set so far.

Last night was the first time I attempted to use the watts as a guide for a sufferfest video. I chose Angels as my test video, as it's the one I'm most familiar with. I found it quite challenging, but not killer- well until I hit the last set! I was very humbled and actually could not complete the workout after 2 min. of the 8 min. set.

This made me question if I've set my FTP a little too high for this time of year, or is the last set a little unrealisitic, as it has you doing 8min. of work between 110 - 130% of your FTP without a rest?

I just completed the full video on my CT and all I can say is, wow... that third set HURT. It was all I could do to just turn the pedals over. I used 140% as per what the files ship with.

So far I like The Angels a lot better than The Hunted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Revolver for it's simplicity.

Close second is Downward Spiral.

Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After doing "The Hunted" 5 times I've decided I need a new drug. "Angles" download just began. Sufferfest- T-Minus 2 hours...
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [alexaqui] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you there....I just upped my ftp this week, been humbled so far on fight club, angels, then just got my ass kicked by local hero yesterday...my legs need today off. I'm too scared to do the hunted right now as 20 minutes straight then being punished the last 10 minutes don't appeal to me or my legs today! Also, hell hath no fury really scares me right now. Intensity is okay to "bad enough" for the 20's but its the accelerations that destroy me. Anyway, the power sufferscale is perfect!!!

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always seem to push WAY to hard on the 20 minute effort in that video. I almost always am battling keeping ANY respectable wattage for the last 2 5-minute intervals.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [AndrewM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure!!! I also have a real big problem with the final sprints in local hero too, I stand for about 5 seconds and my legs are toast...just holding on!!

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Hunted. Hands down my favorite.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [kuzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just downloaded and road to Fight Club....

Love it
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [Newyorkfan21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I changed my mind:

1. I love sufferfest when I'm not doing it
2. I love sufferfest for the first 20 mins
3. I like sufferfest for the next 20 mins
4. I f'ing hate sufferfest for the last 20 mins
5. I f'ing love sufferfest again the second I'm done
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [Chaloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is pretty much spot on....
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [tmeisky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The brand new TT video is awesome. I just did it with a 30 minute warmup and a 30 minute cool-down. Just did it on the rollers with minimal resistance and it still kicked my butt!
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [tmeisky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI I got these to load into GC and hooked up the CT no problem! First video with real time erg mode on the computer will be tomorrow morning...

"No matter how hard you train, Somebody will train harder. No matter how hard you run, Somebody will run harder. No matter how hard you want it, Somebody will want it more, I am Somebody"~ST Post
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [Newyorkfan21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
techno-idiot question of the day

So if I get a sufferfest video, I then have access to it on any computer I'm near w/ password? Or do I download to my hard drive?

Thanks

Nancy
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Download to your hard drive
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [DM67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Local hero as it has it all and is the longest
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [Chaloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So well put! I was swearing at the video yesterday when I was watching HHNF and I swear someone was laughing at me! Just the increases time and time again...I think it was one part where it dropped down to a manageable tempo, but it was for 5 seconds and boom, back at it...I was so pissed. But man am I so happy I did it when I'm done. Love them...

Chaloo wrote:
Well I changed my mind:

1. I love sufferfest when I'm not doing it
2. I love sufferfest for the first 20 mins
3. I like sufferfest for the next 20 mins
4. I f'ing hate sufferfest for the last 20 mins
5. I f'ing love sufferfest again the second I'm done

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a MacBook Air yesterday, installed the Trainerroad software on it this morning and downloaded the entire Sufferfest library this evening. I am scared.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should be....but you'll love it!

Printer86 wrote:
I bought a MacBook Air yesterday, installed the Trainerroad software on it this morning and downloaded the entire Sufferfest library this evening. I am scared.

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So my first answer to this was Local Hero + Extra Shot. That is easily my go workout. However, I missed most of a hilly training ride recently due to a shredded rear tire (Lesson: ALWAYS carry an extra in the car!).

Therefore, when enough anger is stimulated, I recommend Angels + The Hunted + Extra Shot. This combo can be summed up as: race pace hill repeats + a 20 minute uphill TT + salt in your wounds. You will climb, you will suffer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next