Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [running2far] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is possible. I've done 4 in a row in my Kona prep. You don't sandbag it just gets harder. Imwas hitting my target heart rate in every video. There are only a few all out sessions on the videos other than revolver and downward spiral and they relatively short bursts. Its like being on the verge of throwing up for 3 1/2 hours.

Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. My wife is much more versed in computers. With your info combined with another post, she will have the info needed.
THANK YOU MUCH...............................Kenney
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [iscorpchazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just started downloading Fight Club. Wish they had more bandwidth. It's downloading at around 170kb/s, gonna take about 3+ hours... :(
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like angels and downward spiral. Intervals are longer and more TT like efforts. Fight club and the others have some faster attacks and are good for crit or cross style of racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just downloaded and completed fight club and was very impressed. I think it is a complete package and can be replayed multiple times without loosing its wow factor. Fight Club was a good mix of 3-5 min intervals with attacks, tt efforts, and climbing. Great all around workout. Time went very fast for a trainer session. This tops the vision quest series (raceway and power) which i think are still very good, sufferfest simply sets a new standard.

Some argue that these are not good for triathletes, but i would disagree. My early season races include two duathlons, two sprints, and one olympic race. The power gained in these workouts is very beneficial for these types of races. Also, this workout replicates very well a group training ride with pace, incline, and cadence changes. Thus, this helps prepare one for the spring group rides.
Last edited by: -Mike-: Jan 7, 11 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hunted is great. It was my first go at a sufferfest and I think I loved it. This winter focus will be easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [Feme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought Hell Hath No Fury, the 2 x 20 workout... love/hate the 2 x 20! I like the 3 x 8' hill climbs in Angels, the 3 x 6' pyramids in Local Hero and I still haven't finished Downward Spiral... ouch! I just started mixing a few videos together to keep it more interesting and using my own tunes. For example I'll start with HHNF and ride until the 2 x 20's are finished then click over to Local Hero, already set up at the beginning of the 3 x 6' pyramid section. These videos keep me motivated through the winter... getting on the trainer doesn't seem so bad when the Sufferfest is rockin' in the pain cave! Sounds like I need to purchase a few more.

I've backed up my videos to CD but can't play them on my DVD player (only computer). Can someone explain how to burn them to a DVD (on a MAC) for a DVD player? Thanks in advance if so!

It seems like the video production is getting better with each video. Much love to the Sufferfest... as weird as that is.
Last edited by: sweet_wtr: Dec 21, 11 18:58
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [sweet_wtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For all you people who started using it and are 'loving' it, you're gonna be like me.

I LOVED Sufferfest - for the first 3 weeks, possibly even 2, where I used them at least 3x/week.

Then I started to dread them. So friggin' hard and painful. Every dang time. So much Suffering.

It's awesome. I literally started getting nervous before putting in that 1 min on 1 min off (?Revolver) video, as it hurts so bad.

Chime in again when your love turns to hate (and you get faster in the process.)
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trepidation increases when you combine an computrainer with "revolver" 16x1min is brutal, when you cant slow down at all, just hammer away at the power you set. Just did revolver this morning with 16x1min at 5x400w, 5x410w, 5x420w, and ended with the last one at 500w....legs where/are shredded. The hardest part about this workout is that after 5 you think you cant go on, but somehow you keep doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:
The trepidation increases when you combine an computrainer with "revolver" 16x1min is brutal, when you cant slow down at all, just hammer away at the power you set. Just did revolver this morning with 16x1min at 5x400w, 5x410w, 5x420w, and ended with the last one at 500w....legs where/are shredded. The hardest part about this workout is that after 5 you think you cant go on, but somehow you keep doing it.

Yup - I do revolver with a Cycleops2 and use speed as a surrogate for power. I feel like quitting after the 3rd one, and somehow, I just hang my head, and hang in there for 15 more without any dropoff in speed.

SPOILER ALERT - The first time I did it, I was so proud of myself after holding the pace for all 15. And then #16 showed up and I nearly threw up on my aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have three videos. In order of preference

Angels > Fight Club > Local Hero

Angels is a great work out. I find that it does a great job of building your heart rate up progressively using the track warm up followed by some Over / Unders. The climbs are challenging and it's easy to overestimate your abilities and burn out before the end of the video (at least, it has happened to me ...and I know what my FTP is). The other thing that I appreciate is that there is no repetition of video footage during the workouts (unlike fight club) and I like the audio tracks.

I have to say that the sufferfest videos are a welcome relief from the Spinerval DVDs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i bring a webcam to work; best sufferfest video ever

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [jkahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Havent done Revolver/HHNF/Very Dark Place yet...though coming up.

Three hardest i thought so far were in order 1. Angels, 2. FightClub, 3.Local Hero. Run on a CT in ergmode on Golden Cheetah, so there is no let up.

The last interval of Angels based on my FTP was a killer, 8min @ FTP*1.15 to 1.30 was by far the hardsest of any set so far.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got the three new ones, very dark place, extra shot, and the 2x20 one (hhnf i think), anyways here are my thoughts.

Very dark place: I like the workout structure of 4' intervals and the video is good, but i do not like the music as much. Overall a b+ in my book, buy it.

Extra Shot: I love this as it is 20' of very hard work, decent to good music, and is a great addition to any workout. I like to put it at the end of a long endurance session as it replicates road racing quite well, buy it.

HHNF: Nice workout structure, but i have zero interest watching women's cycling when doing a very hard workout, that just ruined it for me. The music is good, workout great, but i really am not a fan of this one, would not suggest over others. I would rather just pull up you tube and watch stage 19 of the 2011 TDF for a 2x20.

One thing i have been doing to replicate crit racing/road racing is integrating several aspects of their videos into one. Here is what it looks like:

Angels over unders x 2 (20').....Races start hard

Fight Club Two laps + Recovery (20').......tempo with jumps

The Hunter 20' climb at sub-threshold (20').......race calms down

Local Hero 3 x 3' laps towards the end + recovery (15').......Race picks up with jumps

The Downward Spiral Second set (20')....The race begins

Recovery time is the amount of time it takes to find each video/interval. The key is careful pacing but i find the power file will decently duplicate many road races i have done, slightly more evenly paced but a solid training session. I might add or subtract a few sections depending on fatigue/race prep etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My most used ones are: Local Hero, Downward Spiral, A Very Dark Place, and Hell Hath No Fury (I have no ego problem with getting chicked :-) in that order. I also have Angels, but haven't used it of late. However that ranking may change as I start using them with the TrainerRoad integration (which Local Hero doesn't work with yet). It's easy to cheat the perceived effort scales in the videos, but add the power reading and targets for each interval, and WHOA! You are at a wholenew level of intensity. . First time I did "A Very Dark Place", it turned into a VERY Dark Place!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fight club for sure, just busts ass. I use the 4min tt at TH power or higher, then the 2:30 climb after at vo2....

then a very dark place. again, TH power for tt's and standing and drilling when told to!

downward spiral is my "off day" vid, just doesn't hurt as much

Angels

hell hath no fury....2X20 is not fun for me this time of year, and 6' recovery is too long and I'm too lazy to get off the rollers and back on

local hero I haven't tried yet, want to used for a long workout, but nothing higher than threshold power a couple times if that, and the rest always pushing at tempo power. just haven't had the time yet. An hours works well right now.

the videos are great, I'd never train in the winter without them. sometimes I rather do them than go on the road, I like structure!!

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dforbes wrote:

If Downward Spiral doesn't hurt, you aren't going hard enough ;-) TrainerRoad translated those to 130% FTP.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [markg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well....maybe.... you're right!!! I certainly don't 130% but I need a video for easier days and I just like that one for them...if I do them at TH power, it feels like a workout, and the next day I'm not toast!!! Of course you're right!!! if you come away thinking any of them are easy, you are not suffering the way you should be!!!

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favorite video for pure work is Angels. Everything about that video just gets me up and going. Recently I started punching out numbers I didn't even think I had in me. If I do Angels, I just watch Angels and that is it - by the end it hurts just to hold 100w.

My second favorite is probobly Fight Club. The video seems to blend well with the music and the attacks make it interesting. I usually try to pair it with another video to simulate a race situation. I'm not a fan of Local Hero. I have all the videos but havent play AVDP, Revolver, Downward Spiral and those short interval ones yet - those are being saved for late feb/march.

If I want to really push myself:
30 mins zone 2 WU
Fight Club
30 mins zone 2
The Hunted
10 mins CD

The last 5 min interval of the Hunted is GREAT for simulating the end of a hard road race.

I like Local Hero when I'm doing endurance as well
30 mins zone 2 WU
Local Hero, but for every interval sit at about 95% FTP, then sit at upper zone 2 between rests.
15 min CD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alright...I just put in an honest effort for downward spiral and my kJ don't even come close to fight club or the hunted or a very dark place.....not that it was easy, just think the structure of the other videos are different and more difficult....I put in an IF of .91....I was working....

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
markg wrote:
dforbes wrote:

If Downward Spiral doesn't hurt, you aren't going hard enough ;-) TrainerRoad translated those to 130% FTP.

hehe, are they a little too high? I haven't done them yet, too busy coding. Hell Hath No Fury is the toughest. We didn't want to make them too easy though because then they wouldn't be a true "SufferFest".

I recommend turning down the intensity unless you bring a bucket to your workout.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote Nate Pearson

hehe, are they a little too high? I haven't done them yet, too busy coding. Hell Hath No Fury is the toughest. We didn't want to make them too easy though because then they wouldn't be a true "SufferFest".

I recommend turning down the intensity unless you bring a bucket to your workout.[/quote]
These are the only hour workouts I need to load up TWO waterbottles for :-)
Hmm...will have to give HHNF a go this evening (if my wife doesn't have other plans).

The first 2 min interval in Downward Spiral was the killer...I immediately tried to get to target and hold it, but could not hold it for longer than about 1:30. So the second set, I gradually built up to the target in the 2:00 and 1:45 intervals. I was almost relieved once the intervals got down to 1:00 and less (though that meant I had to do them harder :-) !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:
Just did revolver this morning with 16x1min at 5x400w, 5x410w, 5x420w, and ended with the last one at 500w....legs where/are shredded. .

wow!! what kind of ftp do you have ?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have them all and have been using them for the last two years.

In terms of a favorite Revolver just gets the job done but I really like the last two; HHNF and AVDP, "storyline" is much improved as is the overall quality of the editing and footage, soundtracks are very different but that is just personal taste

Recently started using TrainerRoad and that adds another element of interest although it's taking some time to dial it in.

Also you can't knock the pricing $12. I picked up a new Trainer during the summer and it came with a Spinervals DVD #27 which I used for the first time two weeks ago and it was all I could do to not beat my brains out on the stem it was so boring, had I paid $30 for it I would have royally po'd!
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sufferfest video? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
265-275 (no formal test lately but that is what i averaged at a 50min crit race recently), but i do a lot of crit racing/road racing so my power numbers above FTP are pretty high. That was also a true max effort on those, could not even do one more at the end.
Quote Reply

Prev Next